1/6 SSC Destro

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finished my Destro mods today. It was a lot of work, but I'm much happier with the end product now. I swapped the stock body for a Hot Toys Odin, but transferred the Destro arms to keep the muscular look. I trimmed the fleshy Odin body neck, and fit a Hot Toys plastic neck that I sculpted the metal rings onto, painted silver. The base of the neck is a piece of PVC that I trimmed to fit, painted silver, and added some nail heads for the 'bolts'. I cut the stock shirt into what basically amounts to sleeves that are still attached in the back.

Overall, I'm really happy with my mods, and the vest has really grown on me. It's not 100% retro, but with my mods its much closer to a re-imagined retro Destro.

Destro01.jpg

Destro02.jpg

Destro03.jpg

Destro04.jpg

I've gotten a couple of requests to share my process for porting destro onto a tt-m 20 so here's what I did. Mind you that I rushed it a bit and taking your time should result into a cleaner finish. Before I begin know that this process requires a sharp exacto knife and a Dremel

First u need to cut the soft rubber neck of the tt down to the bottom of the neck and the internal neck post in the tt needs to be dremeled down to half it's size as seen below
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403467856.933579.jpg

Then you need to cut off the flesh portion of destros neck, done easily with an exacto
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403467964.082475.jpg

Now with a Dremel hollow out the inside of the neck
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403468017.599651.jpg

Once that's done it's a simple matter of gluing the tt neck post into the hollowed out neck of destro
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403468073.483249.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403468086.999074.jpg

And done. Note his pants fit snug at the hips but works fine. Also due to his thicker legs you can only use the bottom strap on his hip holster, which looks better IMO. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Much appreciated LP.

Once I buy this figure I will do the same.

Big thanks for your process in making this a better figure.

I'm wondering if it would be an easier mod to just take the chest piece of the torso from an Arnold and fit it on the torso of the Sideshow buck. With the arms being improved compared to previous bucks this might be the way to go for a quick beefed up Destro.

Much appreciated LP.

I'm wondering if it would be an easier mod to just take the chest piece of the torso from an Arnold and fit it on the torso of the Sideshow buck. With the arms being improved compared to previous bucks this might be the way to go for a quick beefed up Destro.

My pleasure. Not sure if that's any easier and honestly the main reason I don't like the sideshow buck is because of the lower half,i.e. Terrible knees, I'll fitting waist and lack of hips. Most figs on bucks look like they've been castrated.

Much appreciated LP.

adrosi is back to his old self, good

I finished my Destro mods today. It was a lot of work, but I'm much happier with the end product now. I swapped the stock body for a Hot Toys Odin, but transferred the Destro arms to keep the muscular look. I trimmed the fleshy Odin body neck, and fit a Hot Toys plastic neck that I sculpted the metal rings onto, painted silver. The base of the neck is a piece of PVC that I trimmed to fit, painted silver, and added some nail heads for the 'bolts'. I cut the stock shirt into what basically amounts to sleeves that are still attached in the back.

Overall, I'm really happy with my mods, and the vest has really grown on me. It's not 100% retro, but with my mods its much closer to a re-imagined retro Destro.

Destro01.jpg
Although that vest hasn't grown on me yet, your pvc neck ring sure has. :rock
Definitely going on my list of ideas I want to steal from others. :hi5:

Classic song.
Takes me back. And it's amazing that it is 30 years old this year.
Did you ever get the hologram table i sent you up and running?

Still crazy busy my friend, I've look at the box next to Ironman a few times after work :), I just hate to rush through items. I still have several purchases from Hot Toys and Sideshow that haven't even seen the light of day. 70hr work weeks the past couple weeks. :(

Still definitely excited about it though, I'll be working on my collection room later this year and once everything is setup, I'll be able to take the time to surely enjoy some treasures.

It IS greatly appreciative! :bow

Ski

I wouldn't take anything too serious, I think the possible impending doom of the line, has emotions running high. :lol

All joking aside, i can take criticism. If i am boring people with headswaps or custom figures i will just stop posting them. I just assumed that pics can't possibly offend anyone. If you don't like them, you could just ignore them. That's what i do.

As for the "impending doom".
It could only be a hiatus. But even if it's more, there are many talented artisans around here to bring custom figures to the fore in place of "official" ones.
I see a lot of Joe figures stagnating, both in online stores and even parts in the TA/Monkey Depot/Black Ops types of places.
I reckon that(For my part, being a HUGE fan of the 80's figures at the time, and even now, for the nostalgia), taking those self same 80's figures and making them for a modern grown up audience(Likely all of us in this thread for the most part), must be a real double edged sword.
They are appealing to that sense of things we had in our youth that we LOVED with all our hearts so much that we STILL love it. They are trying to recreate that with varying degrees of success.
And even that attempt is met with scorn sometimes.
Take Destro(Because this is the Destro thread after all). While i love the 80's figure, and still love that look, it does seem a bit garish now. But it's a product of it's time, and i still love it myself.
But if SS released that look, perhaps they were worried it wouldn't sell as much. And of course they are forgetting their core audience LOVED that look, and might not buy this one because it shares little in common with the other look that they REALLY wanted.
It must be a tricky one to work out.
And the bean counters woun't see that the reason a line might be failing is because it hasn't remained true to the original look.

Still crazy busy my friend, I've look at the box next to Ironman a few times after work :), I just hate to rush through items. I still have several purchases from Hot Toys and Sideshow that haven't even seen the light of day. 70hr work weeks the past couple weeks. :(

Still definitely excited about it though, I'll be working on my collection room later this year and once everything is setup, I'll be able to take the time to surely enjoy some treasures.

It IS greatly appreciative! :bow

Ski

No worries. Just thought i would ask if you had looked at it.
Let me know when you finally open it up!

He's not bad but they did add insult to injury with the lame hand selection. I can't believe you have to choose between a gun and his case.
p4g2ToB.png

He's not bad but they did add insult to injury with the lame hand selection. I can't believe you have to choose between a gun and his case.

completely agree.The hand selection is BAD.I would like Destro to hold his Laser Gun and The Case in both hands.They really needed to give him a left trigger hand.....So,Destro gets to either walk around with expanded finger pose or a grip a folder pose or Fist :mad:

I thought you had stopped collecting Joes due to Sideshow ruining the line?

Much appreciated LP.

Great pics Youbastards and Lord Piper! That's some pretty major surgery right there. Don't know if I'd have the courage to go that far myself. I might just wait for the Sideshow superhero muscle bodies to start showing up to fix the Destro body issue.

I decided to order Destro the other day. He hasn't arrived yet but I'm excited to see him in-hand. I personally like the new look of the figure when he is wearing the jacket. If I like Destro as much as I think I will, then I will probably buy Storm Shadow V2 somewhere down the line too. To me Destro and Storm Shadow look like the best of the line, followed by Cobra Commander.

Has anyone tried using Destro's hands for Bludd? I know it's off topic, but I always wondered why Sideshow didn't do posed/sculpted hands for Bludd's mechanical arm. To me, it would have really benefitted the figure. It certainly would've made it easier for him to hold his massive rocket gun and would have made the little pins on the grip unnecessary.

Anyhow, if anyone has any replacement suggestions for the mech hand I'd be interested to hear it.

Back