Asmus Toys : Lord of the Ring : Gothmog

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys! Appreciate the kind words!

Very nice, WG!

Got any close-ups of the lip work?

(There's a sentence I never thought I'd ever type.:lol)

It doesn't look so good up close -- working at that scale with clay is really tough for me -- in fact I may even take one more crack at it this weekend. But from a distance, like in those larger pics you can see if at its best.

Who is still selling this figure? I ordered Skully but forgot about this one.

Gave Gothmog his club...

G3.jpgG2.jpg

Man, this guy has issues standing even with new boots... and the club is so heavy it pulls him right over. May switch to that crazy oversized sword...

Gave Gothmog his club...

View attachment 99969View attachment 99970

Man, this guy has issues standing even with new boots... and the club is so heavy it pulls him right over. May switch to that crazy oversized sword...

You know he comes with 2 stands, right? The battleground stand is very cool - in earthquake territory I wouldn't be comfortable without stands.

Nice adjustments too - I might do the weathering on the armor. But the more I look at him out of the box the more I like him. And I'm not that into ugly characters.

You know he comes with 2 stands, right? The battleground stand is very cool - in earthquake territory I wouldn't be comfortable without stands.

Nice adjustments too - I might do the weathering on the armor. But the more I look at him out of the box the more I like him. And I'm not that into ugly characters.

I know, but I just hate stands. In the 4.4 quake we just had, only one figure fell over.

Thank you for the compliment. If you do anything, just a light brushing of silver over the armor will really improve the detail highlights for viewing. But I agree -- he really is just an awesome ugly thing; my eyes constantly are drawn to him... it.

Hello, I'm new here and I would like to come and participate because I am quite surprised that there is so little review on this excellent figure. Here are my pictures and my opinion, hope this can help you to make your choice in buying the figure or not.
At first I would like to compliment Asmus for this top class figure and sharing their work with us on this forum.
Concerning Gothmog at first you should be very carefull with the elbow joint because it's very fragile, mine broke at the first attempt to move it...
I had to glue it back in place with a part of a steel needle to fix it.

IMG_0597.jpg

Then I cut a little bit of the arm so I can move it up more.

IMG_0602.jpg

IMG_0601.jpg

I also cut the "fat" undersuit so it does not interfere with the movement.

IMG_0606.jpg

Of course I moved the blop of flesh where it should be, ie on the shoulder. The piece of glue is not an issue.

IMG_0607.jpg

And like all of you I dyed the pajama with a large brush using a mixture of coffee/brown ink/black ink. On the picture below, the left side of Gothmog is dyed and not the right side for a comparison.

IMG_0609.jpg

Finally concerning the armor I read a lot of you guys have chosen to highlight it with siver, I didn't. The armor is really dark in the movie, and I found at sixth scale natural light highlighted it enough. Instead I darkened the hollows (to break the plastic look) using black ink and especially chessnut ink. I also used chessnut ink to weather the armor and the belts.

IMG_0675.jpg

IMG_0682.jpg

IMG_0685.jpg

I didn't used the weapons because I found they were a little cheap, just like the Gondorian piece of meat. It's nice to have some "bonuses" in the box but they just don't match the level of excellence of the figure.
The warg fur is top notch. I didn't customize the head because I think it's perfect as it comes, not 100% movie accurate but still great. The paint work is incredible and I hope "human" characters will have such great treatment.
Overall Gothmog is an outstanding figure with a little work, but it's quite fun and easy to customize so each of us can have his own unique figure.

Congrats to Asmus, you guys hit the bullseye!

-and please forgive my weak english :wink1:-

Do I have to take all the clothes off to fix this? Because I really don't have the confidance to do it...

You were dead on! I just rotated it, couldn't bare to look at it like that! Thanks!

EDIT: one advice for Asmus for future releases - please use different kind of glue. Leather straps that hold the armor on the body barely hold on the armor - just a gentle press or pull on them and they come off. This glue also has a chemical effect on this particular pleather so it becomes very brittle and snaps easily.

Last edited:
Good job, but I am not lucky enough to have your skill level to fix them!

You were dead on! I just rotated it, couldn't bare to look at it like that! Thanks!

EDIT: one advice for Asmus for future releases - please use different kind of glue. Leather straps that hold the armor on the body barely hold on the armor - just a gentle press or pull on them and they come off. This glue also has a chemical effect on this particular pleather so it becomes very brittle and snaps easily.

Back