Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (March 24th, 2016)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Batman vs. Superman (2016)

Really? TDKR is a terrible sequel and even worse adaptation of the comics. But as a standalone movie, I find it entertaining with some beautiful cinematography. It's not desaturated, blue filtered and depressing to look at.

How's that? A ton of that film's ripped straight from the comics. It's basically if you combined Knightfall and The Dark Knight Returns and made it a movie. Bruce getting a happy ending was awesome, too.

Don't get me wrong; the screenplay is just as insulting to Batman as MOS is to Superman. And I agree the fight choreography was lazy and uninspired. I just meant the direction and look of the film was solid, overall. No over-indulgdent CGI, or overuse of film student shakycam.

The fight scenes were half bad, but Bane was the half that was good about them, Tom Hardy did a great job cause he had a lot of experience, but Bale was horrible, he always had this weird way of raising his elbows in an awkward way and he telegraphed his punches, he looked really amateurish for someone who's supposed to know 127 martial arts.

You couldn't tell in BB nor TDK cause the camera was shaky.

Shaky cam usually is a bad thing, I agree.

But Cap 2 made the shaky cam work 101%, fights and car chases, it was all glorious.

Cap 2 made the fights in BB/TDK/TDKR look like slow motion.

Cap 2 battles were as epic as MOS in my book, even without flight.

How's that? A ton of that film's ripped straight from the comics. It's basically if you combined Knightfall and The Dark Knight Returns and made it a movie. Bruce getting a happy ending was awesome, too.

A Batman, who only fights crime for a year before taking an eight year hiatus then coming back for one last adventure, is not the Batman most fans know and love (MY Batman isn't a quitter.) Bringing back the League of Shadows was just lazy and turning Bane into a venomlesss henchman was unforgivable in my book. Taking some light story cues from KNIGHTFALL and RETURNS doesn't make it "ripped straight from the comics" to me.

Shaky cam usually is a bad thing, I agree.

But Cap 2 made the shaky cam work 101%, fights and car chases, it was all glorious.

Cap 2 made the fights in BB/TDK/TDKR look like slow motion.

Cap 2 battles were as epic as MOS in my book, even without flight.

No I mean, the shaky cam in BB and TDK worked to conceal Bale's poor technique :lol

I agree, what MoS did with awe factor and CGI, Cap 2 did with technique and subtlety in the fight scenes.

Still they were brutal.

It's an entertaining, standalone Elseworlds movie, but it's not the direction I felt BB and TDK were leading towards.

I enjoyed both MOS and TDKR. Though I do think Batman quitting at the end of TDKR is hilarious. Bruce Wayne leaving the Batcave to the wannabe cop Robin was a F'ing joke too. :lol

Since they replaced Goyer and Snyder has his usual DP back on board, I can't see this being any worse than MOS. If it is, at least Batman and Wonder Woman will make it a fun novelty.

I enjoyed both MOS and TDKR. Though I do think Batman quitting at the end of TDKR is hilarious. Bruce Wayne leaving the Batcave to the wannabe cop Robin was a F'ing joke too. :lol

TDKR fans will have you believe that BW fulfilled his mission of creating an everlasting legend, protector of Gotham.

Therefore any tom, **** or harry can take up the cowl.

Those hockey dudes were right all along.

A Batman, who only fights crime for a year before taking an eight year hiatus then coming back for one last adventure, is not the Batman most fans know and love (MY Batman isn't a quitter.) Bringing back the League of Shadows was just lazy and turning Bane into a venomlesss henchman was unforgivable in my book. Taking some light story cues from KNIGHTFALL and RETURNS doesn't make it "ripped straight from the comics" to me.

I don't really see Bane as a henchman. More as a partner. Take his "imagine the fire" line. He's not Talia's obedient love slave, he is doing this because he wants to; not because she's somehow forcing him to. I still don't understand the complaints about the hiatus, either. The difference between this Batman and the comic Batman is that, in this case, he, largely, succeeded. The streets of Gotham were cleaner than ever, and, without organized crime, the police were able to handle the penny ante stuff. The entire reason Batman continues in the books is due to the fact that the war never ends. In this case, it did. I also find the "MY Batman doesn't quit," and "this was a terrible sequel" stuff hilarious. Particularly because, if you watched Begins and TDK, you should've known that this wasn't your typical Batman. Bruce is constantly wanting to quit throughout both those films. He almost does in TDK, before Dent beats him to the punch. For all of Rachel's "this is your real face, now" stuff, Bruce never really takes it to heart. Talking about how "Dent can do what I never did," and "we could be together." Watch all three together, it's pretty clear that Bruce never intended for Batman to be a permanent fixture in his life. He was pretty much Gotham's call to action that they need to get their **** together.

Thematically, though, you have tons of that stuff from Returns and Knightfall in there. The broken Bat, the Return, there's even some No Man's Land in there, a little bit. I just love the hypocrisy, when I see people saying how much they love The Dark Knight Returns, but hate Rises because of the ending. Bruce fakes his death and inspires a new generation of protectors for Gotham. One of these things is pretty damn like the other.

g6dbbee99.gif

I don't really see Bane as a henchman. More as a partner. Take his "imagine the fire" line. He's not Talia's obedient love slave, he is doing this because he wants to; not because she's somehow forcing him to. I still don't understand the complaints about the hiatus, either. The difference between this Batman and the comic Batman is that, in this case, he, largely, succeeded. The streets of Gotham were cleaner than ever, and, without organized crime, the police were able to handle the penny ante stuff. The entire reason Batman continues in the books is due to the fact that the war never ends. In this case, it did. I also find the "MY Batman doesn't quit," and "this was a terrible sequel" stuff hilarious. Particularly because, if you watched Begins and TDK, you should've known that this wasn't your typical Batman. Bruce is constantly wanting to quit throughout both those films. He almost does in TDK, before Dent beats him to the punch. For all of Rachel's "this is your real face, now" stuff, Bruce never really takes it to heart. Talking about how "Dent can do what I never did," and "we could be together." Watch all three together, it's pretty clear that Bruce never intended for Batman to be a permanent fixture in his life. He was pretty much Gotham's call to action that they need to get their **** together.
But in TDK Batman didn't want to quit, he was being coerced into quitting by the Joker under the threat of more deaths.

My complaints with Bane aren't until the end, because he was a great intimidating interesting villain until he's made look like a puppet in my eyes, and his death was very undignifying.

Thematically, though, you have tons of that stuff from Returns and Knightfall in there. The broken Bat, the Return, there's even some No Man's Land in there, a little bit. I just love the hypocrisy, when I see people saying how much they love The Dark Knight Returns, but hate Rises because of the ending. Bruce fakes his death and inspires a new generation of protectors for Gotham. One of these things is pretty damn like the other.
But in the case of TDKReturns, Batman sticks with his new bat gang to train them and guide them, which he didn't in Rises.

All and all you make one very good point, in this case Batman does succeed, as far as we know, in cleaning Gotham....

It's actually a great point, never thought of it like that, it kinda makes the fact that he quit not seem like a selfish act, cause you know, he won....

You may have fixed one of my biggest complaints in TDKRises for me.... I have to give it another watch.

Bruce is a crazy sexual deviant in Nolan's films.

He falls in love with a girl who never wants him. When she rejects him he runs off and becomes a criminal. He comes back and starts taking out whores he never has sex with. During one of these fake dates he bumps into Rachel again. After 30 seconds of casual convo out of pure coincidence he's full on back in one-sided love. Even after he saves the city and she finds out he's Batman, she rejects him.

So now he's crazy confused and not even sure what to do. But Rachel starts banging Harvey. And Bruce is so confused he falls in love with Harvey too. But then Rachel and Harvey both die and he completely loses his sexual identity. So he can't even be a part of the world anymore.

Until Talia shows up. Her plan is to get revenge by having sex with the man who murdered her father. After Bruce's first time ever having sex that we know of for sure around his mid 40s, he likes girls again. Except maybe for that orphan cop that hangs around. Anyway Bane is also very sexually confused and willing to commit suicide for a girl he loves who's now banging his arch nemesis. After Bruce realizes he was betrayed he angerly murders his first lover. He than absconds to Paris with a convicted fugitive murderer who stole the very same pearls Joe Chill did that caused his own parent's death. He makes up for not being gay to orphan cop by giving him clothes and expensive cars.

Guys got a serious fetish for banging murderers or bad guy's girlfriends. :lol

But in TDK Batman didn't want to quit, he was being coerced into quitting by the Joker under the threat of more deaths.

My complaints with Bane aren't until the end, because he was a great intimidating interesting villain until he's made look like a puppet in my eyes, and his death was very undignifying.

But in the case of TDKReturns, Batman sticks with his new bat gang to train them and guide them, which he didn't in Rises.

All and all you make one very good point, in this case Batman does succeed, as far as we know, in cleaning Gotham....

It's actually a great point, never thought of it like that, it kinda makes the fact that he quit not seem like a selfish act, cause you know, he won....

You may have fixed one of my biggest complaints in TDKRises for me.... I have to give it another watch.

One of the biggest complaints that bugs me is the idea that "Bruce quit because of Rachel." While I believe she played a role in his seclusion, there were many other factors. For one, Jim Gordon. As I said, they succeeded in cleaning up Gotham, but it came at the cost of Batman's reputation. Just to play Devil's advocate, here, let's put you in the shoes of any one of Gotham City's denizens. For the past year, you've watched someone take on the role of Gotham's protector. Then, out of nowhere, the commissioner of police claims that he snapped and murdered five people, including several police officers and a district attorney. Batman told him to do that, but he also knew what that entailed; there was no going back. If he went back to beating up criminals and returning to the status quo after "supposedly" suffering a psychotic break, it would only serve to raise suspicions, putting Gordon in a [negative] spotlight, and, ultimately, undoing everything they worked towards.

Keep in mind, as well, that there was a transitional period, and that Bruce didn't just instantly transform into the Howard Hughes shut-in we see at the beginning of the film. With Batman no longer a viable option for his crusade, he took an interest in his company, and, in some ways, it calls back to what Ra's Al Ghul said in Begins, about how Bruce's parents tried to save the city with economics. He took an active interest in his company, and even tried to create a new, energy source. In the end, the Fusion Reactor was what broke Bruce. After he saw how it could be weaponized, I think he believed himself to be doing more harm than good, and, thus, decided to give everything up.

As for The Dark Knight Returns, would people have liked TDKR better if it ended with Bruce asking Brian Douglas' drinking buddies for more assistance in his war on crime?:lol Regarding TDK, though, my point is that Bruce never intended to stay Batman forever. He may have been coerced in that particular instance, but look at Harvey's fundraiser. He genuinely wants to pass the bill [to clean up Gotham] off to Harvey, so he can live happily ever after with his childhood friend.

Back