Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (March 24th, 2016)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Batman vs. Superman (2016)

New pics of Henry Cavill looking gorgeous and super buff :drool
11bngad.jpg

pics from comicbookmovie.com

It looks lightly he is going to have the signature S curl. Can't wait to see the new costume!!

they make a cute couple actually.

What's he doing in Chicago? I thought they were beginning to film in Detroit?

I wonder why he didn't have the S-curl in the first movie. Cavill has curly hair. Nothing unrealistic or cheesy about it.

He was with his gf Gina Carano for easter. Maybe her family lives there?

So he's dating her now? He was dating the girl from BBT who is now married to some nobody tennis player. How celebs date and stuff always seems like they have far less of a clue than the reset of us when it comes to this thing.

So he's dating her now? He was dating the girl from BBT who is now married to some nobody tennis player. How celebs date and stuff always seems like they have far less of a clue than the reset of us when it comes to this thing.

That "relationship" with Kaley Cuoco was all just a terrible and fake PR stunt set up between their shared publicist, I don't believe he ever really stopped dating Gina Carano. Who knows if he is even really dating her or they are just friends? :lol

That "relationship" with Kaley Cuoco was all just a terrible and fake PR stunt set up between their shared publicist, I don't believe he ever really stopped dating Gina Carano. Who knows if he is even really dating her or they are just friends? :lol

All sounds possible. I just saw it comes across the TV at one point they were an item and then she gets hitched to this tennis player. Seemed like an odd choice to dump Superman for a Tennis player.

Zack Synder trying to defend MoS and lays out exactly why it sucked.

“It’s just funny to see people really taking it personally … because I made (Superman) real, you know, I made him feel or made consequences (in) the world,” he said. “I felt like, it was the same thing in ‘Watchmen.’ We really wanted to show it wasn’t just like they thought, like the PG-13 version where everyone just gets up and they’re fine. I really wanted to show the violence is real, people get killed or get hurt and it’s not fun or funny.”

and neither was your Superman.

https://variety.com/2014/film/news/...stopher-reeve-version-of-superman-1201159883/

I don't know, I found Cavill's Superman to be quite charming when he was actually Superman. I think people are mixing up "Superman" with "Clark Kent." Clark was pretty angsty for the first half of the film, I'll admit, but he was really just someone trying to find themselves. Most people aren't exactly going to be bubbly when they embark on a journey of self-discovery. You give a teenage kid the powers of the god and tell him he either needs to use them responsibly or not at all, if he respects you enough not to blast your face off with his laser eyes right there and them, the odds are he's probably not going to "get it." Clark's as confused as any kid would be in that situation.

Then we get to Superman, and, while the Zod scenario is what people tend to dwell on, I look at his performance as a whole. That sense of wonder and exuberance he inflects as he learns to fly, his calm and collected confidence in the interrogation (a lot of which really reminded me of Reeve); while a lot of the movie may not have been "fun," I wouldn't really chalk that up to Superman, himself, not being fun.

75 years of History, written by countless individuals, all of whom we are told is valid. There are iterations of Superman that are not "fun". The Reeve/Donner films are not the definitive version of the character. Hell, that version hasn't been in comics in over a decade at least. MoS may not have been the nostalgia romp some were expecting, but it was a good film from where I was sitting. I am excited to see where they go from here.

75 years of History, written by countless individuals, all of whom we are told is valid. There are iterations of Superman that are not "fun". The Reeve/Donner films are not the definitive version of the character. Hell, that version hasn't been in comics in over a decade at least. MoS may not have been the nostalgia romp some were expecting, but it was a good film from where I was sitting. I am excited to see where they go from here.

100% right, especially the bold part.

Well that's what I love, and I'm kind of glad Morrison went back to it in his New 52 Action Comics book. Superman, in his initial incarnation, wasn't really fun. This was a dude who was a hero to the working class and who, on a regular basis, would leap tall buildings in a single bound and beat on everyone from corrupt politicians and union officials to straight-up mobsters. Doesn't exactly scream "Man of Tomorrow" does it?:lol

Well that's what I love, and I'm kind of glad Morrison went back to it in his New 52 Action Comics book. Superman, in his initial incarnation, wasn't really fun. This was a dude who was a hero to the working class and who, on a regular basis, would leap tall buildings in a single bound and beat on everyone from corrupt politicians and union officials to straight-up mobsters. Doesn't exactly scream "Man of Tomorrow" does it?:lol

Greg Pak has kind of continued that with his run on Action. Superman is not the messiah figure he (may) become. He's shown to get pissed at injustice, and not always take the high road. But deep down he is a good person, who wants to help. Superman, like Cap at times became more a symbol, and something other than a flesh and blood character. Which is why both became difficult to write for. When both were allowed to be human, and brought back down to Earth, their books got much better. Heck by making Cap relatable, Marvel was able to make 2 quality films, which would not have worked with American Jesus as a main character. DC/WB/Snyder did the same. And really the early stuff with Clark not knowing what to do with his life is straight out of J. Michael Strazinski's Superman:Earth One graphic novel. It's a great take on the Charater, and a brilliant update to modern times.

Greg Pak has kind of continued that with his run on Action. Superman is not the messiah figure he (may) become. He's shown to get pissed at injustice, and not always take the high road. But deep down he is a good person, who wants to help. Superman, like Cap at times became more a symbol, and something other than a flesh and blood character. Which is why both became difficult to write for. When both were allowed to be human, and brought back down to Earth, their books got much better. Heck by making Cap relatable, Marvel was able to make 2 quality films, which would not have worked with American Jesus as a main character. DC/WB/Snyder did the same. And really the early stuff with Clark not knowing what to do with his life is straight out of J. Michael Strazinski's Superman:Earth One graphic novel. It's a great take on the Charater, and a brilliant update to modern times.

Cap was hardly American Jesus prior to Brubaker's run. He was a man of action and conviction but was constantly re-evaluating his own methods and duty with regard to staying true to what he considered the "good" of American ideals, even if it meant giving up his duties and/or turning away from the very administration he symbolized.

Evans Cap is actually very close to pre-Ultimates/Brubaker Cap.

Last edited:

75 years of History, written by countless individuals, all of whom we are told is valid. There are iterations of Superman that are not "fun". The Reeve/Donner films are not the definitive version of the character. Hell, that version hasn't been in comics in over a decade at least.
Are you talking about LAST SON, which was co-written by Donner himself, and introduced General Zod to modern continuity? That was finished in 2008 and was freely mined by Goyer and Snyder for MAN OF STEEL. Hardly been a decade. What about the work of artist Gary Frank, who literally made Christopher Reeve the face of Superman in the comics for a good few years? The fact is, the Donner/Reeve original IS the definitive Superman for plenty of writers and artists, who have used it as a template for their interpretations. Just ask Chris Nolan what inspired Batman Begins.

Cap was hardly American Jesus prior to Brubaker's run. He was a man of action and conviction but was constantly re-evaluating his own methods and duty with regard to staying true to what he considered the "good" of American ideals, even if it meant giving up his duties and/or turning away from the very administration he symbolized.

Marvel liked to have Cap as a symbol of all that was great and superior about America during the "Golden Age" of American society. Marvel(and Cap by extension) liked to gloss over the fact that that era was only great if you were white and male. It was when Marvel started trying to tackle these types of things, and having Cap question a lot of things, that he became a more well rounded figure. Having Captain America outright start questioning America was a great thing for them. It gave writer's more room to play. Superman likewise became hampered by having to be a messiah figure. A perfect figure makes a great savior, but he's a boring character to write. Which is why Batman always trumped Kal. Bruce was allowed pathos. Clark was denied that for a very long time. MoS works because Clark isn't a Messiah. He's not even sure he wants to be that person. He's trying to find his place. That's the same thing Ultimate Cap went through. He was a soldier, who had to grow to become the symbol everyone wanted him to be. Progression and growth are great things.

Back