Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (March 24th, 2016)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

So he was actually about 100 pounds when he went into the chamber, and then gained about 150 pounds and 2 feet or so for the purpose of looking like Cap? Move over, Deniro. You ain't no method actor.

What, you didn't know Chris Evans spent months sculpting his body into that of a 10-year-old boy's?

:lol

Just to clarify I only said "well said" about Superman. :lol

10 year old boy. lol

When Steve Rogers was in the car next to Peggy he looked like he was 6 years old, they shrunk him way too much. :lol

:lol

Just to clarify I only said "well said" about Superman. :lol

10 year old boy. lol

When Steve Rogers was in the car next to Peggy he looked like he was 6 years old, they shrunk him way too much. :lol

"Hey baby, I may look like a kid, but everything down there works." :naughty

So he was actually about 100 pounds when he went into the chamber, and then gained about 150 pounds and 2 feet or so for the purpose of looking like Cap? Move over, Deniro. You ain't no method actor.

What, you didn't know Chris Evans spent months sculpting his body into that of a 10-year-old boy's?

I guess I assumed that we all knew that scrawny Steve was achieved by a wide range of tricks and that putting the word "real" in quotes wouldn't be necessary. :monkey1

Last edited:

Well said Khev.

Step 1: Eliminate the dumb Tornado.

Step 2: Take the actor outside for christs sake and film a damn down to earth emotional death scene.

Yeah, I mean it'd be one thing if "Death by Tornado" was some iconic moment from the comics that they had to use CGI to achieve on screen but to go out of their way to make one of Superman's few "relatable" moments so cartoony was just odd on so many levels.

MOS Superman, let Pops die by Pops choice.
Yeah, credit where credit is due. Hopeman respected his father's insane death wish.

I guess I assumed that we all knew that scrawny Steve was achieved by a wide range of tricks and that putting the word "real" in quotes wouldn't be necessary. :monkey1
Well I'll be the first to admit that Johnston accomplished an awesome feat if this wasn't CG:

gb4034f29.jpg

They actually did a bunch of different tricks to make Chris scrawny so that no one could just figure it out and go "oh that's what they did." Sometimes they shrunk Evans' body, sometimes they put his head on the skinny double, sometimes they did forced perspective stuff and so on. It's funny because I actually thought they did a better job in TFA than the flashback scene in TWS. When Steve remembers his time at Camp Lehigh in TWS and they show that brief scene of him pre-serum I actually didn't think it looked much like Evans. :lol

They actually did a bunch of different tricks to make Chris scrawny so that no one could just figure it out and go "oh that's what they did." Sometimes they shrunk Evans' body, sometimes they put his head on the skinny double, sometimes they did forced perspective stuff and so on. It's funny because I actually thought they did a better job than the flashback scene in TWS. When Steve remembers his time at Camp Lehigh in TWS and they show that brief scene of him pre-serum I actually didn't think it looked much like Evans. :lol

Damn, I don't think TFA gets enough credit for that.

It was a flawless effect, to this day I've never once thought "nice CGI"... It looks so natural you don't even think it's VFX.

Damn, I don't think TFA gets enough credit for that.

It was a flawless effect, to this day I've never once thought "nice CGI"... It looks so natural you don't even think it's VFX.

Agreed. I even spent a fair amount of time looking for the tell tale signs of CGI or whatever and other than him being slightly underscaled in a couple shots (as pointed out a few posts back) I really have found it to be a flawless achievement as well. My head tells me it's all an illusion but my eyes tell me it's not.

:mwaha :mwaha :mwaha :mwaha :mwaha

Google fail, this is all it came up with. :lol
il_570xN.516663247_p14i.jpg

That's actually pretty badass. Definitely an injury waiting to happen, but still badass. :lol

attachment.php

attachment.php

Joe Johnston made some interesting points on the CA:TFA commentary that I'm perfectly reminded of by the two images above. Johnston stated that he was very careful to avoid CGI taking away from the drama of two of TFA's most pivotal scenes: Steve's transformation and his plane crash at the end. He deliberately had Steve encased in that chamber so people would see a real guy going in and a real guy coming out and just go with it rather than watch a Hulk-like CG transformation from Steve into Cap.

Similarly he had the plane crash occur off camera so that after the emotional final moments between Steve and Peggy you don't then have this big distracting special effects crash.

If only Zach had thought of that with regard to Pa Kent. It was such a heart tugging scene in STM, and even 36 years later you can watch his death without being distracted by any of the visuals. But looking at the two pics above, I don't see two emotional final moments, I just see one dad on a farm and another in front of a green screen.

While I don't think that would improve the overall experience enough to salvage the film, it reminds me of what you said about KOTCS and Indy in the fridge. If Spielberg hadn't shown the fridge flying and banging around, but instead, had gone straight from Indy going into the fridge, the bomb, and Indy kicking out, it would've at least helped the scene.

While I don't think that would improve the overall experience enough to salvage the film, it reminds me of what you said about KOTCS and Indy in the fridge. If Spielberg hadn't shown the fridge flying and banging around, but instead, had gone straight from Indy going into the fridge, the bomb, and Indy kicking out, it would've at least helped the scene.

:duff

When you show that kind of in your face visual it just forces you to make it instantly, timelessly perfect. There's no shame in "cheating" some shots or glossing over them and then you're much more likely to create something that will survive scrutiny for decades. Verhoeven and Cameron cheated through strategic editing when they filmed Murphy taking off his mask in RoboCop and Arnold taking off his forearm skin in T2 respectively and *to this day* those are still amazing, seamless visuals that don't take away for one millisecond from their respective scenes.

I bet Cameron still shakes his head in disappointment at his failure not to use CG when he could have there. Man is obsessed with that now.

He actually calls that scene out specifically on either the DVD or blu-ray T2 commentary as one that could have been done better with CGI today. :(

He also said that he regrets not having Burke fall in love with the Queen and join forces against the evil humans who wanted to mine LV-426 at the expense of the misunderstood aliens.

Back