Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (March 24th, 2016)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Pierce Brosnan says he turned down Burton's Batman. Because he couldn't take the character seriously. Because he wore underwear on the outside of his costume. Heh.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/aug/21/pierce-brosnan-turned-down-tim-burton-batman

SnakeDoc

Woah, that's a new tidbit of info. Totally appropriate for the current discussion at hand, just in time.

I wonder why Warner Bros and Burton didn't tell Brosnan that there wouldn't be any underwear and instead of wearing a grey and blue leotard with undies, it'd actually be black armor.

Woah, that's a new tidbit of info. Totally appropriate for the current discussion at hand, just in time.

I wonder why Warner Bros and Burton didn't tell Brosnan that there wouldn't be any underwear and instead of wearing a grey and blue leotard with undies, it'd actually be black armor.

I kinda doubt it got that far. He was thinking Adam West, thought the whole idea was ridiculous, and probably just declined out-of-hand. He now says "But, how wrong was I?"

Brosnan has the look of a great Bruce Wayne. He's a little dainty for Batman, though. And his accent is all wrong. Seems like it would've been about the same as Val Kilmer's ... though Kilmer's a bit tougher acting, and obviously is without the accent.

SnakeDoc

But does he look bad with them? No.

Reeve was the epitome of Superman and looked the part even in the crappiest movies. Just look at the screen tests/auditions from 1977. Everyone looks ridiculous. In the actual film though? Reeve looks like he stepped out of the comics and you don't notice the underwear, everything works. It took a special sort of acting magic to walk around in that thing and pull it off, and he did.

My point is that I don't care if he wears them or if he doesn't as long as he looks like the character and the core elements that make him Superman aren't tampered or changed. That's why I don't people should care to much about those small details.

I often wonder if in 1940, when Tyrone Power played Zorro on screen and his costume was sans cape for 99% of the movie, if people around the water cooler complained like this :D

Yeah, but usually there's some kind of project pitch, right?

If I had an actor I wanted for the part and was discussing the role with them, I'd be sure to add "this isn't the 60s show".

And I'm betting most actors learn early in their career that they can't trust what producers and directors tell them early on in a movie project.

Pierce Brosnan says he turned down Burton's Batman. Because he couldn't take the character seriously. Because he wore underwear on the outside of his costume. Heh.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/aug/21/pierce-brosnan-turned-down-tim-burton-batman

SnakeDoc

**** Pierce Brosnan. I'm not surprised. I think most actors, even today don't take superheroes or superhero films seriously. They all want to be in them because it's a good career move. It's a good paycheck and it's good for them to have a big movie every two or three years to keep them relevant. But I bet that most actors today playing those superhero roles feel silly wearing the costumes and it's not something they are truly proud of. They would rather be Daniel Day Lewis and have his career instead.

I remember Jeremy Renner said something similar at comic con a few years ago. He said he felt silly on the set of the Avengers with the people in costumes and it was like Halloween. I pretty sure the last thing any of those guys wants is to be remembered for those characters. They are all a bunch hypocrites...deep down they don't think much of those films, but they all want to do them. And then most of them talk about how much they "LOVE" the characters and the source material. Even Brosnan in that interview, he ***** on Batman and then is like, but "I LOVE" Batman...GTFO with that bulll****.

He doesn't even like his own James Bond films....and he said that, but he had no problem playing the character 4 times and he wasn't saying that **** when he was crying to his agent about Timothy Dalton taking his one chance to become a movie star, while he was stuck in a tv show.

Looking back, I'm surprised Keaton actually did it, and did it twice back in the day. There was a real risk that that project could have blown up in everyone's face as this massive failure. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would have wanted to do something like that, especially after Clean and Sober. Bale too. There is sort of this mentality that these sort of movies are crap and fluff to these actors. Probably the paychecks and royalties I guess.

Whether he's good or not, Affleck is the first one to genuinely love Batman and want to be him I think. I remember interviews in the 90s and early 2000s where he seemed like this comic/Batman nerd, and only took up Daredevil because he thought that's the closest he'd ever get to portraying Batman. Who knows if that's genuine or not though. I wouldn't think a fan that's an actor would be the ideal candidate BECAUSE they'd approach it like a fan. I dunno, I think someone that doesn't have a clue can make it work just as well (like Keaton or Conroy, who didn't even know or care about it like it was a big deal).

Last edited:

I'm not saying all actors are like that. As far as Keaton, he did Beetlejuice with Burton before, so he probably trusted him. Bale had nothing before Batman. Playing Batman gave him an A-list career, and if someone can give a superhero movie "credibility" as a a dramatic piece of art, it's Nolan. His track record was pretty impressive, Momento and Insomnia.

superhero movie as a dramatic piece of art

-Had-Enough-GIF.gif

Whether he's good or not, Affleck is the first one to genuinely love Batman and want to be him I think. I remember interviews in the 90s and early 2000s where he seemed like this comic/Batman nerd

Yeah good point. And Affleck had been on the up already in terms of being taken seriously as a director. He didn't need this. He wanted it.

Why do you think the Oscars extended the best film category from 5 films in 2008 to 10 films in 2009? Because of the backlash of Nolan's TDK not getting a nomination when it was one of the best reviewed films of the year. The next year they had alien films, Distric 9 and Avatar nominated for best picture.

Because Academy Awards is soooo not biased and care only about professional opinion...

Sooo now your're questioning the validity of the Oscars? It's not a perfect system, but they do a good job for the most part. And film is subjective...so it's always biased and based on some form of opinion :lecture

All awards "shows" are bogus, including the Academy Awards. They may as well be run by tech industry "analysts."

Back