Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (March 24th, 2016)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Superhero movies were getting recognized at the Oscahs before 2008.

I've been backlashing lately but in 2008 I very much got into the Nolan TDK hype and was really pissed off that it wasn't nominated for Best Picture.

-Had-Enough-GIF.gif

I just lol'd in class.

Neither of those movies deserve a best picture nomination.

They are fun movies. That's all.

So was District 9 and it was nominated for best picture and it has a 90% on RT, while X-Men has a 91% critics approval. That one has the best chance so far, but it's still early. Toy Story 3, Inception, and Avatar were also nominated.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Yeah, in a year with movies like "Boyhood", "Calvary", "A Most Wanted Man" amongst others, it's hard how someone would even entertain the thought that TWS would even be looked at.

I wouldn't really rely that hard on %'s @ RT.

Yeah, in a year with movies like "Boyhood", "Calvary", "A Most Wanted Man" amongst others, it's hard how someone would even entertain the thought that TWS would even be looked at.

I wouldn't really rely that hard on %'s @ RT.

Those are 3 films, there are 7 spots left, and like I said, it's early so it probably won't get nominated by the end of the year, BUT if the Oscars were tomorrow, Xmen could get a nomination. It woun't win either :lol

Those are 3 films, there are 7 spots left, and like I said, it's early so it probably won't get nominated by the end of the year, BUT if the Oscars were tomorrow, Xmen could get a nomination. It woun't win either :lol

I don't think sci-fi/fantasy should be ruled out on account of not being 'serious, dramatic' films. And we on this forum, of all people, should not be part of that elitist attitude that considers them lower 'for the kids' disposable entertainment. If a superhero film is really good, top of its genre stuff, it shouldn't be discounted IMO.

Forget "realism" and start thinking about "believability" - there's always some suspension of disbelief involved, but the less you have to think about it, the more successful the result, IMO.

Someone wearing underwear over lycra tights just looks silly - and a natural reaction for anyone seeing someone else dressed like that would be - WTF? Followed by laughter. It's not believable that someone who shows any fashion sense in their daily lives (regardless of how you define it), would then dress up in a clown costume unless their goal was not to be taken seriously - such as entertaining at a kids' party.

:exactly:

Although I'd say is about logic, if it serves a purpose, being in functionality, aesthetics or works for the character, you could make him wear anything.

But it has to have a purpose and not being ridiculous just because "comics", that's just a bad excuse.

Take Deadpool, nobody would complain if he wore briefs, Superman and Batman's cape have a reason to be, practical and and aesthetic.

Briefs simply don't make sense, they don't have a reason to be, anymore.

Same with the capes. And colorful outfits. And animal themed ears on helmets/masks. And spandex, or leather (even black leather) jumpsuits in general. etc. There is no honest threshold where one of these things makes sense and the others don't. You suspend disbelief on this order the minute you walk into the theater to watch comic book characters fighting evil villains. It's a stylistic choice, fine. But let's not try to argue that the undies are the one thing pushing this over into the realm of unbelievable silliness.

No it's not the same, animal motifs, colors and capes serve for either aesthetics or because the character justifies them, you can't justify briefs.

What's not believable? Does that clothing combination violate a law of physics?

If shorts over pants are an incredibly 'omg' situation to you, you should probably leave the house a little more, bizarro brain. :lol

If undies over pants was normal to me, wouldn't that mean that I haven't been out in a long time? :lol

The red underwear is pointless. Does it add anything to the character? Not really. Is he a different character without them? No. He still wearing the cape and the blue costume and has the big emblem on his chest. He still looks like Superman....If anything Cavill looks more like Superman than any other actor so far,imo. He still an Alien and a farm boy from Kansas, so who cares if he doesn't have the silly underwear?

It's not like people are going to mistake him for Batman,Flash or some other character,"No, that's not Superman. I don't know who that guy is, but it's not superman because he wears his tiny red underwear outside his suit!! So that can't be Superman" :lol

:exactly: :goodpost:

I remember how some of the people saying we should accept the briefs back because it's "comics" were some of the ones making fun of Quick Silver's outfit in DOFP.

If they can justify the briefs, then cool, but if the can't, let them go, comics let them go a long time ago because they just don't make sense.

For instance, if they made the briefs a traditional piece of Kryptonian clothing, that's very different, they'd have an aesthetic reason to exist other than their obsolete strongman motif.

But in characters like Batman, you just can't justify them.

Just look at how people reacted when MoS costume was presented, everybody was like "Oh good, he FINALLY learned to use his underwear on the inside" :lol

I doesn't have to literally be briefs outside of his suit. You could simply colour that area of the suit in red, stylise it a bit if they must.

I don't think sci-fi/fantasy should be ruled out on account of not being 'serious, dramatic' films. And we on this forum, of all people, should not be part of that elitist attitude that considers them lower 'for the kids' disposable entertainment. If a superhero film is really good, top of its genre stuff, it shouldn't be discounted IMO.

I agree. :duff However, sci-fi/fantasy gets more respect because it's usually based on novels or original screenplays and there's already a history of fantasy and Scifi getting awards. The other "genre" that doesn't get too much respect, is animated films despite being the best reviewed films. They were first given their own category, and then they were included in the best picture category, but they are still not taken seriously in the best picture category and that should change because a great film is a great film no matter what type of film it is. I think the problem with Superhero films is the source material. A lot of critics and academy voters can't get over the "comic book" thing. So in their minds, as good as a Batman film might be, they just see the rubber costume. Also, they probably don't think very highly of comic books, so that may have something to do with it. One thing is to nominated a film based on a novel...but comics? That's kids stuff...in their minds, which is wrong.

I agree. :duff However, sci-fi/fantasy gets more respect because it's usually based on novels or original screenplays and there's already a history of fantasy and Scifi getting awards. The other "genre" that doesn't get too much respect, is animated films despite being the best reviewed films. They were first given their own category, and then they were included in the best picture category, but they are still not taken seriously in the best picture category and that should change because a great film is a great film no matter what type of film it is. I think the problem with Superhero films is the source material. A lot of critics and academy voters get get passed the "comic book" thing. So in their minds, as good as a Batman film might be, they just see the rubber costume. Also, they probably don't think very highly of comic books, so that may have something to do with it. One thing is to nominated a film based on a novel...but comics? That's kids stuff...in their minds, which is wrong.
It has a lot to do with the source and where it is on the ladder of art. Comics are generally considered to be pretty low on the list of what is considered art. To add to your point

Sent from the Cockpit of the Millenium Falcon

Yeah, if only they took the underwear outside the tights away, these would be winning Academy Awards left and right, I'm sure.

Back