Hot Toys – MMS204 - The 1/6th scale ED-209 Collectible

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never noticed until now, but it appears the edge of the dome is not perfect
I think I read earlier in this thread that this was done on purpose to match the movie prop
Either way, it doesn't bother me

I've worked with silicone professionally for a long time- I'm a sculptor/mold maker. There are many, many different varieties and grades of silicone. I have items today that I made from silicone as long as 20 years ago, which still have the exact same physical properties they had when they were freshly cast. Some grades are intended for long life, other grades are intended for short-term more disposable applications.

This is true. I've done a lot casting and mold making as well. There are many different silicone density and longevity options. Silicone can be cast and molded quite easily, but it's relatively uncommon except in the medical field because it's not necessary to use when there are so many other mold materials and it's relatively more expensive compared to pvc, abs or high grade urethane products. Some silicones are made to be archival quality which means they have minimal shrinkage or breakdown over long periods of time.

With this said, I would doubt it is silicone, only because you don't see it used as a casting material very often. But maybe?

Sure is. :rock

This is true. I've done a lot casting and mold making as well. There are many different silicone density and longevity options. Silicone can be cast and molded quite easily, but it's relatively uncommon except in the medical field because it's not necessary to use when there are so many other mold materials and it's relatively more expensive compared to pvc, abs or high grade urethane products. Some silicones are made to be archival quality which means they have minimal shrinkage or breakdown over long periods of time.

With this said, I would doubt it is silicone, only because you don't see it used as a casting material very often. But maybe?

Have you physically inspected EDs dome? Silicone rubber is cheap, non-toxic, highly durable, stable as a rock, and one of the most commonly used polymers around the world.

Having said that, IR analysis and a specific gravity of (approximately) 1.75 indicates that EDs dome is made from durable silicone rubber. The convoluted joint boots are also made of silicone.

I would worry more about dust than the polymer breaking down.

Yeah, I always thought the dome was referencing a speaker cover. Even though it had a slight shine in the movie.
If you got the right fabric, it would probably look great over the frame, like a speaker cover.

Never noticed until now, but it appears the edge of the dome is not perfect
I think I read earlier in this thread that this was done on purpose to match the movie prop
Either way, it doesn't bother me

Yeah those imperfections are moulded into the dome intentionally.

Yeah, I always thought the dome was referencing a speaker cover. Even though it had a slight shine in the movie.
and i insist that it was because, not though :D

metal speaker grills

ED fell from the stairs. if he had some canvas on his head, it would tear. it didn't. safe to assume: firm + shiny + designed to take part in action = metal.

I'm just hoping popcultcha in Oz don't take as long to get their stock of this as they did the Crow.

I need this bad boy on my shelf!

and i insist that it was because, not though :D

metal speaker grills

ED fell from the stairs. if he had some canvas on his head, it would tear. it didn't. safe to assume: firm + shiny + designed to take part in action = metal.

Oh I know it was metal in the film, having a soft fabric dome wouldn't make a lot of sense, but visually it seemed inspired by speakers.
And at 1/6, you could find fabric that would replicate that very fine grill look.
That's all. Something soft would be easy to stretch over the frame, like a canvas is stretched over a picture frame.

Oh I know it was metal in the film, having a soft fabric dome wouldn't make a lot of sense, but visually it seemed inspired by speakers.
yeah it might have seemed so to HT, but it looks like they made everybody think it's a rubber replacement for fabric, while it should be plastic replacement for metal.
everybody just speaks about fabric fabric fabric.
movie robots should be made by japanese )

I'm gonna cover mine with a translucent bag or something when I get it since I still don't have sealed shelves/units to display my stuff. I don't want dust on that dome. The dome on my old ED is pretty much grey at this point rather than black.

I'm gonna cover mine with a translucent bag or something when I get it since I still don't have sealed shelves/units to display my stuff. I don't want dust on that dome. The dome on my old ED is pretty much grey at this point rather than black.
300_306595.jpg

And at 1/6, you could find fabric that would replicate that very fine grill look.
That's all. Something soft would be easy to stretch over the frame, like a canvas is stretched over a picture frame.
Maybe try some thick black tights

Lol, I can see how dust is an issue for the dome, it's almost sticky and its not going to easy to get it clean

what about some varnish?
i put it on my tsang alien mouth to imitate saliva, as it lost it after modifications, and it worked nice... it seems.

Im sure this would be ok and would seal it at the same time

What it says:

Plasti-Kote Super Clear Acrylic provides a tough, transparent and flexible film that preserves and protects against weather, heat, cold, acid, alkali, corrosion and water. It also protects against rust, will not fade or yellow and is UV absorbent. Super Clear Acrylics are hard wearing, scratch resistant and can, if needed, be re-coated at any time to ensure your items are always protected. It can also be used to simply change the sheen of an item; for example by applying Clear Acrylic Gloss to an item that currently has a matt sheen, you can retain the current colour while giving it a new gloss sheen. Not for use on high impact styrene, leather, Styrofoam and vinyl.

Last edited:

that would take the surface off the rubber.

I've used that but you can't get rid of it all. I'm sure it didn't do the rubber any favours either.
Yup.

what about some varnish?
i put it on my tsang alien mouth to imitate saliva, as it lost it after modifications, and it worked nice... it seems.
Might crack as the rubber underneath is very soft. maybe an acrylic varnish. But risky either way.

A damp/wet lint free cloth is normally the best thing to gently wipe soft rubber with. Has to be wet though, so it glides over the surface and doesn't stick to detailing.

Back