Hot Toys – MMS204 - The 1/6th scale ED-209 Collectible

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks very similar yes. A much better solution, i think, than having to constantly apply sprays or lubricants. Once it's done, you can forget all about it. I'll do the same to my v2, when it arrives. This time i'll write up a proper tutorial so others can do the same.

Oh man... I have a really hard time getting those stupid legs off.
Didn't work out yet as shown in the video.

Really afraid of breaking something...

Looks very similar yes. A much better solution, i think, than having to constantly apply sprays or lubricants. Once it's done, you can forget all about it. I'll do the same to my v2, when it arrives. This time i'll write up a proper tutorial so others can do the same.

i dont know bro, polishing eds dome isnt too bad
:D

It looks great, and yes a tutorial would be great also. Thanks.

I detected cracks in the done rubber today. One is readily visible the others are small but only going to get worse. Both leg joints have multiple cracks. I just wrote Sideshow. Hopefully can get a return, even if I have to eat the shipping.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I don't frequent the boards that often but why silicone grease? Is there some evidence to support the idea that silicone grease will preserve this unknown rubber material or is it based on anecdotal evidence?

This is quite interesting, it's industrial fabric I found, it's made to stretch cover things. It's jet black, the pic is inaccurate. It could look great stretched and semi gloss varnished. It's got these great little "pits" in it and the scale is pretty good.

If that guy makes a hard piece to cover the damaging rubber, I plan on wrapping it in some 3M Scotchprint 1080. I've done car interior trim and it's really easy to work with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO90yBCfysc

My ver.1 had a split dome but i was able to permanently fix it, by sawing out the dome. Bulking it out with plasticard (to make up for the missing rubber layer), then recovering the whole thing with speaker cloth. The plastic underneath was painted a satin black, which catches the light and gives it just the right amount of sheen.

View attachment 123638

Wow very clean work!

I don't frequent the boards that often but why silicone grease? Is there some evidence to support the idea that silicone grease will preserve this unknown rubber material or is it based on anecdotal evidence?

It's a hope and prayer, let's hope it doesn't contribute to the deterioration

So I can see the cracks now on the dome without any magnification. I dont even bother to look at the leg joints now. So is Sideshow saying anything official about all of this? Has anybody read anything about Hot Toys admitting fault?

This is quite interesting, it's industrial fabric I found, it's made to stretch cover things. It's jet black, the pic is inaccurate. It could look great stretched and semi gloss varnished. It's got these great little "pits" in it and the scale is pretty good.

This lookes extremly cool, Rory.
Do you think on making domes and stuff?

We have high temperatures atm in germany and cracks start to show up more and more.
Think about exchanging if the possibility occurs, but dismanteling ED is risky ****.
Think about keeping him and just repairing him when new and improved pieces emerge.

So I can see the cracks now on the dome without any magnification. I dont even bother to look at the leg joints now. So is Sideshow saying anything official about all of this? Has anybody read anything about Hot Toys admitting fault?

Nope.
Nothing from them.

They advise retailers to refund affected customers and recall their faulty ED209s.

It's basically pulling defective EDs out of the market without supplying improved ones.

This lookes extremly cool, Rory.
Do you think on making domes and stuff?

We have high temperatures atm in germany and cracks start to show up more and more.
Think about exchanging if the possibility occurs, but dismanteling ED is risky ****.
Think about keeping him and just repairing him when new and improved pieces emerge.

I'm gonna give it a go. I have been waiting for my dome to get so bad that I won't feel guilty about ripping it off. It's still pretty slight. I'm definitely keeping him, I have no choice really, so looking for ways to take all the rubber off of him. I'm not experienced in casting though. I like the idea of fabric as it's kinda the look they were going for initially, that speaker dome, fine metal mesh look.

I might have a go later in the week.

I think HT/Sideshow are accepting returns regardless? - based on the fact this is a defective product and its not a case of if, but when the rot will happen. Mine is also in perfect condition, it has the tacky feeling rubber, but I have been offered a full refund because I showed the FB page and links to a couple of forums on the rotting rubber as proof.

Australia. :)

Fingers crossed, but a lot of car folk use it to preserve the rubber weatherproofing on their cars.

Worth a try. I'm not the sort of guy who can sit back and do nothing. Even if it fails, whilst I'll still be pretty pissed, at least I gave it a shot. An the alternative is it rots for sure.

Back