Hot Toys – MMS204 - The 1/6th scale ED-209 Collectible

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wanted a real nice "high end" set up with the HT Robo and ED as well as the EB Robo that I currently own.

Now, is it true about Robo having rubber too? How was the first release? If that's the case, the EB Robo will be the only Robo I get to display, as it is truly amazing.

If there's any rubber on Robo, he's getting cancelled immediately. From pics I was assuming his abdomen was a hard plastic, but it's difficult to tell.
For some reason I had never thought about rubber on this new Robocop. I forgot that the old one had rubber parts and I used to own one of those.

Given the current situation with ED-209, I would strongly advise peeps to wait for reviews of the HT Robocop, that detail the materials used.. before committing to a purchase.

I can't remember where in this thread I read it but is there a precaution to take in preventing the dome from cracking again? Some kind of spray? I had the original will no problems and this one has no present problems, but I could give or take this in my collection at the moment.

I can't remember where in this thread I read it but is there a precaution to take in preventing the dome from cracking again? Some kind of spray? I had the original will no problems and this one has no present problems, but I could give or take this in my collection at the moment.

Your old one never had problems?

Well as for robo it looks like he might have rubber in the elbow joint, possibly the neck and shoulder socket. The stomach looks plastic
and I see no reason why even HT would use rubber there as plastic achieves the same purpose.

Is there something unusual in Canadian Consumer law?.. I really don't see the Retailer (distributor) you paid directly, for the figure, being able to walk away, if the product is 'not fit for purpose'.
The problem so far, is that your figure is not exhibiting the faults described by other owners.. if it was, I very seriously doubt your Retailer would have a legal leg to stand on.

A Retailer, with a product clearly 'not fit for purpose' relatively soon after purchase, trying to tell customers they 'don't do refunds' and 'any faults are the main distributor or manufacturers responsibility' would be in legal hot water in the UK.. the Credit Card company would simply withdraw the funds from the Retailer's card account, to refund the customer.. and the Retailer would also get a visit from Trading Standards, if they were regular offenders.
Yep, what I'm really ruing is that with these distributors, opening and returning the product, say because you don't like it in-hand, is not an option. With SSC, I could return just based on the fear that it will rot eventually.

In regards to Canadian consumer law in a case like this, I'm regrettably more ignorant than I should be. Going off the store's website, though, they are quite clear that they will only accept a return of unopened merchandise with a 15% re-stock fee. Opening devalues the item to 50% retail. It also advises that in the case of say a broken figure, you have to deal with the manufacturer direct. This reminds me of any SSC/HT purchases I've made at my LCS. They make you open and inspect the figure, signing-off that it's in good condition. Once you've done that, no returns are accepted (this ED situation would be a perfect illustration of how badly that could work out for the customer). I'll look into this a little more, tomorrow, but I'm guessing their policies are legal.

Mine tonight.

While it doesn't show any cracking yet, it does look like something is sucking the rubber.. It just looks weird, and it's been boxed (plastic on top of the rubber) all this time.

Is it me, or is this normal?

budururu.jpg

gu8enupy.jpg

I want one of these badly but the front of the dome looks terrible

how did that get past quality control?

Yep, what I'm really ruing is that with these distributors, opening and returning the product, say because you don't like it in-hand, is not an option. With SSC, I could return just based on the fear that it will rot eventually.

In regards to Canadian consumer law in a case like this, I'm regrettably more ignorant than I should be. Going off the store's website, though, they are quite clear that they will only accept a return of unopened merchandise with a 15% re-stock fee. Opening devalues the item to 50% retail. It also advises that in the case of say a broken figure, you have to deal with the manufacturer direct. This reminds me of any SSC/HT purchases I've made at my LCS. They make you open and inspect the figure, signing-off that it's in good condition. Once you've done that, no returns are accepted (this ED situation would be a perfect illustration of how badly that could work out for the customer). I'll look into this a little more, tomorrow, but I'm guessing their policies are legal.

I would definitely get Consumer law advice on this, at the very least for future reference (does Canada have an equivalent to the UK's Consumer Advice Bureau or Trading Standards?).. just because a Retailer puts a clause in their Terms and Conditions, does not automatically make it legally binding.. any clause the contravenes a National or State law would automatically be null and void.. and could constitute a legal offence.

The real problem is the fact your ED-209 is not exhibiting the QC problems described by other owners.. on that basis, most dealers can suggest it is 'buyer's remorse' ..and restocking terms would in some cases apply.. the Law gets rather more complicated where there are no clear faults with the product, which is fair, since this is designed to protect Commercial enterprises from customers making completely unreasonable demands.

Mine tonight.

While it doesn't show any cracking yet, it does look like something is sucking the rubber.. It just looks weird, and it's been boxed (plastic on top of the rubber) all this time.

07.jpg

gu8enupy.jpg
Mine looks like that, almost looks like waves in the rubber

Mine tonight.

budururu.jpg

gu8enupy.jpg

for a high end collectible thats $400 the dome should of look way better this this.

My dome looks like the one a few posts up as well. I believe the irregularities in the front are normal. Unfortunately, count me in as one of the unlucky ones with cracking in the rubber hip covers. My dome is fine so far but it's only a matter of time before it cracks.

I'm still going to keep it since I've got Robocop on preorder and I can't have one without the other. Still sucks that ED 209 is no longer looking factory fresh though.

Another idea:
If Anthrapoid will cast resin domes... don't we have a guy here on the board who has the capability to cast new rubber sleeves?

Back