Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who - #04 Tom Baker

I looked on BCS website and I didn't see a link to order it. It is from them right, not just a fan made custom? How do we order one?

the smiling headsculpt has not been offered for sale yet via BCS, will be later this yr.

I hate to love this less than the unpainted sculpt, but IMHO the eyes are off for two reasons - one, the iris is too blue, making the pupil too prominent, two, the iris is too small on each eye. This means the colours are slightly garish and gives it an uncanny valley effect.

The good news is this isn't hard to amend if BCS/Greggo sees it the same way. On the other hand, it's clearly off and signals questionable judgement, much as the five-o'clock shadow on the first sculpt did. I'm surprised that someone with Greggo's skill sees this is acceptable.

The good news is this isn't hard to amend if BCS/Greggo sees it the same way. On the other hand, it's clearly off and signals questionable judgement, much as the five-o'clock shadow on the first sculpt did. I'm surprised that someone with Greggo's skill sees this is acceptable.

I made some similar comments on FB to the ones I made here and Gregg replied with this:

"The eyes are indeed quite blue, it's the same blue used in the production piece. Also Toms iris are very small indeed. So are is pupils. When he smiles with wide eyes like this sculpt his iris always touch the bottom of his eye lids"

I still feel it looks off to me, but that's just my subjective view; and it was good to see Gregg say also that they're happy to read constructive criticism.

Speaking of which, can I make a suggestion? Don't forget that the people you're commenting on are probably reading your words! I did once and really pissed someone off. However strongly you feel - and your opinion is as valid as anyone's - it's always better to talk rather than saying something that will piss someone off and make them not want to discuss things. Accusing someone of 'questionable judgement' might just do that... I know, I've been there...:wink1:

That's a shame, sounds like no adjustments are going to be made. Too bad because that raw sculpt was brilliant. Oh well. :dunno

I made some similar comments on FB to the ones I made here and Gregg replied with this:

"The eyes are indeed quite blue, it's the same blue used in the production piece. Also Toms iris are very small indeed. So are is pupils. When he smiles with wide eyes like this sculpt his iris always touch the bottom of his eye lids"

I still feel it looks off to me, but that's just my subjective view; and it was good to see Gregg say also that they're happy to read constructive criticism.

Speaking of which, can I make a suggestion? Don't forget that the people you're commenting on are probably reading your words! I did once and really pissed someone off. However strongly you feel - and your opinion is as valid as anyone's - it's always better to talk rather than saying something that will piss someone off and make them not want to discuss things. Accusing someone of 'questionable judgement' might just do that... I know, I've been there...:wink1:

Friendly suggestion noted, and my response to that would be I stick by my relatively innocuous comments. Greggo has taken your constructive criticism, considered it, and determined that you're wrong. Me, I think you're spot on and I'd be surprised if most others didn't also agree. At which point an artist who gave customers a 5 o'clock shadow that had them considering repaints might want to reevaluate their response to input on this one.

I hate to love this less than the unpainted sculpt, but IMHO the eyes are off for two reasons - one, the iris is too blue, making the pupil too prominent, two, the iris is too small on each eye. This means the colours are slightly garish and gives it an uncanny valley effect.

I agree. And I thought the same about the Hartnell as well. The blue is too light, and it ends up drawing too much focus as a result (that's why I think Hartnell's likeness looks better in the black and white pics, as it removed that issue).

Honestly, it depends on price, but I'm suddenly far less excited about this head sculpt now. Wait and see how production works out, I guess.

I will definitely be picking up the new head. I might touch up the paint depending on how it looks in person, but I love the sculpt!

Yeah, they keep borking up the eyes on these. I think the new hartnell has the same issue with the eyes throwing everything else off

Definitely getting the alternative sculpt, I actually like this idea, hope they make a smiling Matt Smith too but what I really want is a better scarf. The one that comes with is leaves much to be desired

Definitely getting the alternative sculpt, I actually like this idea, hope they make a smiling Matt Smith too but what I really want is a better scarf. The one that comes with is leaves much to be desired

There was a person on gallifreybase who made a replacement that was spot on, even with the correct kind of texture. Unfortunately, the one they sent me was poorly made(they tried to fuse two halves together instead of making all 1 length and left a noticeable seam). I asked for a replacement but they would only give a refund =/ Looked like this:

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-WLQBgNcLHas/UtuzGI9fS0I/AAAAAAAAArM/mrJV64KeTaI/s1600/1tomscarf3_zps2dd936d0.jpg

^^at least the texture of that scarf is more screen accurate.

i have been silently hoping that BCS would include a new scarf as well with the new headsculpt.

I have been tempted to get marfa's scarf too. They really tried to fuse to scarf's together into 1? Hmmm...

the texture alone is so much better im tempted, would just wrap so fused part is hidden at back of neck?

I've got one and while there are imperfections, seam, tendency to poof out like a cylinder, I much prefer it to the BCS stock scarf. The colors and texture and length are great. It's difficult to hide the seam and still drape the scarf properly but I don't think the seam is that noticeable until you handle it. Also it doesn't wrap tightly around his neck, there's a separate doughnut collar piece of the same material to create that effect.

Yeah, mine was fused with a seam horizontally. Now, it wouldn't have been bad, but it was literally right in the middle if you tried wrapping, so it stuck out like a sore thumb. I asked someone else who had one and theirs apparently didn't have that seam. Mine was also a lot shorter. As Entropy said, it's also difficult to pose due to the stiffness of the material

I almost got one, too. It looked really nice. But I just couldn't pull the trigger price-wise.

Im not sure if this is going to be exactly the same but Diamond UK are offering out the 1/6 Tom Baker for pre order. I don't know wether this is left over stock or a new figure. I will probably get a few for sale in the shop as i still think its a great piece.

That scarf is great looking, although I have a feeling quite pricey.

Yeah, so much for exclusively through the web site ( maybe people had trouble buying it.. Haha).
I just read on the FP website that you can preorder this figure, with an arrival date of August. I think that BC reckon they have sold all they can 'exclusively' and are now parting the ways (pun intended) with this. Of course, this is good news to those who don't use, or even know of the BC site. It's £169.99 , exactly same as BC.

Hey, if it gets them sales and helps continue the line with future releases, then I say go for it. It's not like it really hurts any of us that already purchased this.

In fact, it seems like one of the smarter moves they have made recently. Although if I were them I'd use this as an advertising opportunity and also include a flyer in every box pointing purchasers towards their website and facebook, where they can find future, and other past, releases in the line, so as to hopefully grow the potential customer base a little as well. After all, for niche lines, every sale helps.

I'm still quite curious to see what the second Tom head gets priced at, and exactly how it is going to be sold and packaged.

Back