1/4 Scale Super Alloy Iron Man 3 Figures from Play Imaginative

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10559726_478628465573770_4072245379978636360_n.jpg

thing is huge

Looks alright, but sometime in 2015 or 2016 for the Mk 42 turned out to be too long a wait so I cancelled my PO today.

This was posted on AFF today:
I spoke with YesAnime about Play Imaginative’s Super Alloy line as well. As we already knew, Play Imaginative has been having some quality control issues and they are working on fixing them before we see any new products. Though, they said if they can fix the issues then it’s pretty likely that we may eventually see some 50+ Iron Man armors added to their diecast metal line in the future. Look for some new Play Imaginative releases this Fall and hopefully shortly after we will start hearing about them again.

Last edited:
BBTS site had that release date, I'm not positive it's completely accurate. Regardless, with SDCC announcements and PI delays I've decided the $700 this cost I'd rather spend elsewhere. Hope this turns out great for you though! :clap

So the picture that someone re-posted at the Yes Anime booth from the 2014 SDCC is of me. I gave the Yes Anime staff permission to take a picture of me with their figure for PR purposes.

From a distributor's perspective, below is how Yes Anime wishes to address the concerns about Super Alloy products. The text is from an email sent back in June from Yes Anime to its Super Alloy customers.

Jason of Yes Anime said:
"Question - Would you rather be the guy that goes on and on about his elaborate plans to one day travel the world? Or the guy that actually has tickets in hand?

When it comes to Super Alloys, Play Imaginative used to be the first guy. Grand visions and plans, all within reason, but there was always something that kept 'em from taking that trip. Well things have changed recently, and even though it's only part of the journey, P.I.'s holding a ticket - the 1/4 Scale War Machine Mark 2.

After some restructuring at P.I., and a few factory moves, the 1/4 Scale War Machine Mark 2 (Yes Anime's pre-production unit shown) is a couple months away from hitting U.S. soil. Mass production is about to be in full swing and after our units get loaded up in August, it will take another month via ocean freight for these bad boys to reach home.

Remaining Super Alloys

After the 1/4 Scale War Machine Mark 2 is produced, the next set to be released are the 1/12 Scale Iron Patriot and the 1/12 Scale Mark 42. Not wanting to create the same disappointments as before, no official release dates have been announced.

From here on out, Play Imaginative will only furnish info on their current release and limited info on the next figure(s) on deck. It's not the all-encompassing updated release schedule we were hoping for, but at least we'll have some reliable info, and now know what we can realistically expect.

The Most Important Part - Your Pre-Orders

It's been a year, which is an embarrassing amount of time to make someone wait for something that's long been paid for. So if you ordered a 1/4 Scale War Machine Mark 2, 1/12 Scale Iron Patriot, 1/12 Scale Mark 42, or any other Iron Man or Green Lantern Super Alloy, having this information, please let us know what you would like to do:

Keep your order and continue to wait for your figure(s) to be released.
Consider your existing order as a credit to use towards an exchange for a 1/4 Scale War Machine Mark 2, 1/12 Scale Iron Patriot, or 1/12 Scale Mark 42.
Request for a refund. We can always reach back out to you when specific info on the figure you pre-ordered is released, giving you a chance again to place an order.

Please email me directly at [email protected] to let me know. If requesting a refund, we will need a copy of the Square statement emailed to you when charging your card, or proof of the charge from your actual credit card statement. (Yes Anime only has the invoice showing your order details without any corresponding transaction numbers for Square. Play Imaginative is requiring actual proof of payment for any refunds issued.)

As much as production issues are out of our control at Yes Anime, on behalf of Play Imaginative, we would like to thank you for your continued patience, and apologize for the numerous delays and lack of info. We hope that you decide to hold on to your order, but understand fully if you choose otherwise. The figures themselves are awesome, and if you're willing to wait, it will all be worth it."

As mentioned in the email, there has been re-structuring at PI that affected product delivery dates and quality. Going forward, Yes Anime, as a PI distributor, will work hard at trying to maintain communication with its customers. As customer, who paid in full for a 1/12 and 1/4 War Machine Mark 2 a year ago, I expressed my deep concern with the long delays, lack of communications and the need for immediate payment. Yes Anime indicated that they appreciate anyone is willing to stick around and will work to address concerns like payment issues.

With regard to the PI Iron Man figures, I personally think that they are worth the wait. For myself, I have been a toy collector for over 30 years, particularly of Iron Man stuff. From a professional end, I regrettably I understand all too well what licensees get charged by licensors. Aside from the 1/6 Mark VII, this will be PI's second Iron Man related release. Just as the Hot Toys Iron Man figure line developed in quality and complexity over time, I believe that will be the case with PI. While not perfect, I think the 1/4 War Machine Mark 2 is a solid figure.

The 1/4 War Machine Mark 2 weighs over six pounds. One can really feel the heft in this figure. I obviously say this jokingly, but someone could get killed by this figure if it fell on someone from a high shelf.

I like the light-up functions which include the boot jets, his shoulder cannon and even the stand.

IMG_0360 by mchulin, on Flickr
IMG_0380 by mchulin, on Flickr
IMG_0381 by mchulin, on Flickr

This figure has a lot of details that include exposed parts or hidden stuff like both fore-arm guns.
IMG_0375 by mchulin, on Flickr
IMG_0383 by mchulin, on Flickr
IMG_0378 by mchulin, on Flickr
IMG_0390 by mchulin, on Flickr

For more pictures, please check out my Flickr gallery, 2014 SDCC

My concerns involve the small parts like the armor pieces and batteries. Speaking of batteries, they will be pre-installed, but have plastic tabs in them. As the boot jets can light-up, it would be nice if there was a way to pose this figure in flight-mode. The figure is supposed to come up with a remote, but I forgot to ask about it.

I like the light features added to the shoulder canon and feet, very cool.

I'd be concerned with the stand being able to sustain support of a 6 pound figure in a flight pose over time. Not that it isn't possible, just food for thought for those of you still in. And that the clamp included did not do damage to the figure b/c it will have to hold very tight.

The critiques I have:
- Under the chest plate design, or lack thereof, looks very cheap. Maybe it isn't completed?
- Shoulder gaps are very big
- Price

I'm glad to hear PI may finally have it's act together.
Still, they are so far behind HT and other companies I'm not sure how much interest they can generate in very expensive IM3 products by the time they roll out in 2015 and beyond.
If anyone here can confirm whether or not they still have the 1/6 license that would be good to know, b/c if they ever do the Hammer Drones in 1/6 I'd buy them.

Thanks for the in-depth update, plus great photos, Chuey.. and welcome to the forum!

:hi5:

I was a stern critic of PI from the beginning- however I really like the new pics of WMII. Looks very well engineered, solid and very accurate. I think the details in the chest area under the breast plate look simplified and toyish- NOT Ht level at all. As I said I think it looks great overall.
Not $700 worth for me.
Now MK 42 may be a buy for me IF it comes out spectacular and IF it gets released. Those are big IFs to me.

I can't fight my conscious into spending $700 on this. By the time mark 42 does come out, I'd want mark 43 or whatever mark will be in avengers 2. I think nice improvement over the previous prototype though.

I like the light features added to the shoulder canon and feet, very cool.

I'd be concerned with the stand being able to sustain support of a 6 pound figure in a flight pose over time. Not that it isn't possible, just food for thought for those of you still in. And that the clamp included did not do damage to the figure b/c it will have to hold very tight.

The critiques I have:
- Under the chest plate design, or lack thereof, looks very cheap. Maybe it isn't completed?
- Shoulder gaps are very big
- Price

I'm glad to hear PI may finally have it's act together.
Still, they are so far behind HT and other companies I'm not sure how much interest they can generate in very expensive IM3 products by the time they roll out in 2015 and beyond.
If anyone here can confirm whether or not they still have the 1/6 license that would be good to know, b/c if they ever do the Hammer Drones in 1/6 I'd buy them.

The Mark 7 with the Hall of Armor appears to be PI's only 1/6 scale or 12" figure. All other figures, like the Hammer drones are 1/12 or 6" scale to the 1/4 or 18" scale like the War Machine Mark 2 that I'm pictures with.

I'll be the first to admit that HT set the bar on not only Iron Man figures, but other licenses like DC, Terminator and many others. However, it took time for them to get there. As a company, they have made improvements along the way and even re-released certain characters like the Iron Man Mark 3.

Aside from Hot Toys, PI also faces competition from other Asia Iron Man figure companies like Bandai and Kaiyodo. Only time will tell how PI stands and matches up.

The Mark 7 with the Hall of Armor appears to be PI's only 1/6 scale or 12" figure. All other figures, like the Hammer drones are 1/12 or 6" scale to the 1/4 or 18" scale like the War Machine Mark 2 that I'm pictures with.

I'll be the first to admit that HT set the bar on not only Iron Man figures, but other licenses like DC, Terminator and many others. However, it took time for them to get there. As a company, they have made improvements along the way and even re-released certain characters like the Iron Man Mark 3.

Aside from Hot Toys, PI also faces competition from other Asia Iron Man figure companies like Bandai and Kaiyodo. Only time will tell how PI stands and matches up.

Fairly sure there was a limited Far East release for PI's 1/6 Midas figure, no?

Is this thing even available now? PI seems ready to fold up now that HT has played their trump and released their own 1/6 diecasts..I know 1/4 but seems to be too long to come out...

Every time they post something on facebook, there are a bunch of angry people replying saying they are still waiting :lol Remember when they tried to impress people with 100+ prototypes at shows? :rotfl

Every time they post something on facebook, there are a bunch of angry people replying saying they are still waiting :lol Remember when they tried to impress people with 100+ prototypes at shows? :rotfl

Yes- I predict we won't see 1/4 Mk 42 at all- pushed to 2015 now???:lol

Yes- I predict we won't see 1/4 Mk 42 at all- pushed to 2015 now???:lol

Yea, that was the last straw for me. I'm all for giving underdog companies with solid products a shot but PI is giving eFx a run for its money in terms of getting product out.

Yea, that was the last straw for me. I'm all for giving underdog companies with solid products a shot but PI is giving eFx a run for its money in terms of getting product out.

It was a license grab for 1/12 and 1/4 on IM3 for PI. Bet the lack of $$$ they generated for Disney will make them give up the license if that hasn't happened already. Disney is demanding on licensing.....

Back