Escape From New York Remake

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absolutely. You see him and you know, just by looking at him, he's against everything that the government stands for. That's precisely what defines the character.

I understand what your saying, I just don't think the character needs to look like Russel to pull that off. Like the example I made in the post, you could have Washington (I know, too old now) with the same kind of anti-authoritarian vibe. I'm just trying to think of an actor now that looks like a dangerous guy you wouldnt want to mess with.

what is a rebel look for today???
zpTQGkD.jpg
I wonder if they will even keep WWIII in the plot.
You see him and you know, just by looking at him, he's against everything that the government stands for.

Exactly why I don't understand how to remake EFNY, a movie of its time with one very specific plot, today.

Nothing can be done to make it different yet relevant.

This is exactly why I don't understand how remake EFNY today.
A movie of its time with one very specific plot, nice visuals and good actors.

It's just lazy Hollywood producers that figure it's easier to repackage than to create something new. They figure it has a built in audience, just slap a young actor or two in there and it will sell to the current gen.

Exactly why I don't understand how to remake EFNY, a movie of its time with one very specific plot, today.

:lecture

Especially since Manhattan is no where near the violence it used to be in the 1980s.

I understand what your saying, I just don't think the character needs to look like Russel to pull that off. Like the example I made in the post, you could have Washington (I know, too old now) with the same kind of anti-authoritarian vibe. I'm just trying to think of an actor now that looks like a dangerous guy you wouldnt want to mess with.

Jackman? Though Hollywood will probably tap the hip-hop community for someone like Nelly or Chris Brown, or go the opposite route and cast a nerdy pothead like Eisenberg or Jonah Hill. :lol

:lecture

Especially since Manhattan is no where near the violence it used to be in the 1980s.

Yeah, New York today is nothing like it was in the 80's. Times Square might as well be a different planet now.

Jackman? Though Hollywood will probably tap the hip-hop community for someone like Nelly or Chris Brown. :lol

Hmmmm.... interesting. Could work. I could imagine worse choices. Just make him look as different from Wolverine as possible.

Jackman? Though Hollywood will probably tap the hip-hop community for someone like Nelly or Chris Brown, or go the opposite route and cast a nerdy pothead like Eisenberg or Jonah Hill. :lol

I wouldn't put it past them, they love flipping the race of characters nowadays to pander to minorities.

I wouldn't put it past them, they love flipping the race of characters nowadays to pander to minorities.

So true. I wouldn't mind Jackman, though I would rather someone unknown who could pull of the same attitude that made Snake who he is. And keep the long hair.

So true. I wouldn't mind Jackman, though I would rather someone unknown who could pull of the same attitude that made Snake who he is. And keep the long hair.

I would too, but I have to imagine the studio will want to put a name in this, it's probably not a huge tentpole film, but I think they see the value in repackaging it and wont want to risk their new frachise on a unknown actor.

Even something as far removed from Russel's look as his wildman look from Le Mis could work so long as the attitude supporting it is right.

Agreed, the attitude is 90% of what made Snake, Snake.

Yet that's not seen as racist but questioning the motive of ethnicity-swapping to cater to a specific demographic is. :cuckoo:

Not racist whatsoever, if they want to do that with characters known for years as one race... go making another ****ing movie then.

Jackman could do it, but he seems like the cliche choice. Although I wouldn't have anything against him in the role. Just play Wolverine in X1.

Easy sell as a modern day update of Snake Plissken:

les-miserables-valjean-convict.jpg

You're definitely selling that well. With that in mind, I wouldn't mind that as a new perspective of the character. The bigger problem is how to get gritty, dirty, crime ridden NY to work in 2014 :dunno

I know it was set in 1997, but still... the times made it translate so well.

You're definitely selling that well. With that in mind, I wouldn't mind that as a new perspective of the character. The bigger problem is how to get gritty, dirty, crime ridden NY to work in 2014 :dunno

I know it was set in 1997, but still... the times made it translate so well.

Film it in Detroit? :huh :lol

Honestly, they could just go with the cancer from Detroit spread throughout Michigan and the state as a whole, being a peninsula, was cut off from the rest of the US.

I think a main thing is the guy just has to look kind of craggy and war-beaten. An experienced soldier not some hollywood hearthrob.

Film it in Detroit? :huh :lol

Or Camden :lol

I had the unpleasure of driving through there last week, it looks like the burnt out rubble seen in the T2 future war scenes.

Detroit is the optimal spot, but no island then, just a big wall. Still could work, maybe the military blew out the ground to make a moat :dunno

Back