My Office Showroom Build (Display, Lighting, Mod Tips & Service)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: My office showroom. (Display, Lighting, Mod Tips & Service)

Yea after getting all the measurements I figured there would be a 7/16" difference on each side, the detolf being slightly wider. Together they'd be 86" tall and my new room has 94" ceilings. The Malm is approx 5 " deeper which I don't think will be an issue.

You think the dresser would hold the detolf okay? Great idea taking the feet off and doing it that way. Bow hopefully I'll be able to find a color to match the gray Malm, my Detolfs are black/brown.

I don't think you'll have any issues with load bearing with that 2-drawer Malm. If you want to be extra cautious, use glue when you assemble it. On every mating surface/edge put a bead of glue. Also glue the back panel all the way around in addition to putting in the small nails it comes with. And make sure to bolt everything together as I previously mentioned, including anchoring to the wall.

Yea I actually use a high quality wood glue whenever I assemble furniture. And I'll definetly be sure to fasten both to the wall.
Let me know what lighting options you'll have available since that will be the next step. Also if you wouldn't mind sending me the info on the sabers. Thanks!

Also if you wouldn't mind sending me the info on the sabers. Thanks!

Check your private messages ("messages" link at the top of the window) - I sent you a PM last night.

Zoomed up the images on the first post and tuned up a few other posts.

Re: My office "showroom" build-out.

Great collection and display! The dioramas are of course very impressive, but I also like the variety.

I'm going to be selling some of my early kits "real soon now" - :)

I just recently added a list to the first post in this thread for safe-keeping. Here it is so far:

1/6 Figures/lines I'd love to see made, but have not yet been announced.

Twin Peaks (TV ABC 1991)
Mad Men (TV AMC 2007)
Archer (TV FX 2010 (animated))
Trainspotting (Movie 1996)
Jay & Silent Bob (characters - various movies)
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (Movie 1998)
Gordon Ramsay (Chef)
Mixed Sports (non-specific likenesses - Recreational Skiing, Rec. Snowboarding, Olympic Skiing, Olympic Snowboarding, Hockey)
Spider-Man (comics version) - Sideshow has teased this in their Marvel 1/6 line at SDCC 2014
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (literary version - stay away from the movie like the plague)

Last edited:
My office showroom. (Display, Lighting, Mod Tips & Service)

Another display-related project I finished a couple of years ago.

$8000 to $10000 and you too can have the same or similar wall. Includes design/build and all automation/programming but not the AV components.

Last edited:

Pixel, do you have a pic of the detolf door open to see the strike plate for the locks?

Thanks!

Pixel, do you have a pic of the detolf door open to see the strike plate for the locks?

No, but I can take and post one sometime between now and Tuesday evening. For the meantime, you can see it here in this picture, but it's somewhat obscured.

Did you have to drill/remove the wood for the metal lock plate to sit in?

I did drill to remove some material to allow the lock more room. Attach the plate first as a template and then drill/cut out the center.

I did drill to remove some material to allow the lock more room. Attach the plate first as a template and then drill/cut out the center.

Is it a must to drill/remove the wood?
I am lost when it comes to carpentry.
What tools would I need? How deep do I dig?

BTW Thanks for always helping us newbs out Pixel! Much appreciated.

It may or may not be necessary, depending on the locks you buy and the way your cabinet fits together. The key in my locks spins around 2 times so there are two possible depths for the strike. If your doors are mounted a little higher (or lower if you put the lock on top) then you might be able to get the first strike position extended and the key removed without digging the hole.

To make the hole a drill or a Dremel (any rotozip/rotosaw type tool) would be the easiest. A cutting/roto-sawing bit would be better than a regular drill bit. 1/8" to 1/4" should be more than enough.

Just updated my CCFL Sabers thread with some new images.

Battery eliminators - this is how I wire everything electric in my displays, so that everything can be turned on from a pair of master switches, lighting figures, stands, vehicles and other props.

-

And some more saber images of course:

- -

Wish I had some of these other figures to pose with their sabers. :)

Wish I had some of these other figures to pose with their sabers. :)

Haha, in this case I think your perfectionistic nature works against you. I do notice you being quite critical on Star Wars figures.
Try to focus on the good and think how to hide as much of the bad as possible through posing/futz, then decide if the figure is worth it.

Back