Doctor Strange: the movie

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Phoenix would bring it to this role. He brings a different style of comedy to roles. He's not the quirky jokster but his reactions to things are pretty comical.

More:

Published August 28, 2014 by Devin Faraci
Joaquin Phoenix Still In The Mix For DOCTOR STRANGE… But For How Long?

Here's why the negotiations have taken so long.

Joaquin Phoenix was supposed to walk out on stage at Comic-Con to be announced as the actor playing Doctor Strange. It was to be a repeat of what happened with Mark Ruffalo, who made his deal at the last minute and walked from signing his contract to a car that took him right to the San Diego Convention Center. It was going to be a triumph. That weekend a Marvel Studios insider told me they had tried their hardest, that they had pushed as hard as they could, but they couldn't close the deal in time.

Today Collider reports that Phoenix is still in talks for the role, and that he's at the "1 yard line." I can back this up - he met with Marvel this week. But the problems that have kept the deal from closing remain, and they go beyond the basic fact that Phoenix is balking at the heavy multi-picture contract: Joaquin Phoenix literally doesn't know if he can work on this kind of movie.

He's a great actor, and he can play the role. But the Marvel Studios blockbuster machine is full of pre-viz and fight-viz and green screen and massive reshoots. It's not a world that's as comfortable for him, and he's just not certain he can do it. And I kind of think this is a terrific piece of self-awareness, and a piece of self-awareness that might keep the deal from closing. If Marvel can get past any issues Phoenix has with the larger contract they still have to get over the doubt this terrific actor has about working in this larger environment.

I would love to be in the room as they hammer this all out. Phoenix would be a major get for the project and for Marvel in general, moving away from their habit of casting up-and-comers (nobody saw Chris Pratt as an action star) and semi-has-beens (remember that Robert Downey Jr couldn't get work just a few years before Iron Man) and going after major talents who are in their absolute prime. It's a big statement, especially as they start making movies out of their very, very untested properties - books that have a hard time staying in print, let alone being household names.

Save themselves a recast, get someone who would love the role long term if needed.

Save themselves a recast, get someone who would love the role long term if needed.

:lecture :exactly: :goodpost:

Enough with these huge stars that don't want to work and only want money... give a chance to the small guys. All their movies turn out great regardless, people will watch regardless. Look at Chris Pratt... he was a nobody and now he is the new RDJ.

I love Phoenix's work but i agree that they should move on. They may find themselves having to recast later. I'd go with someone who will agree to multiple pictures. I don't think Tom hardy would be good for this role. Cumberbatch may not be bad but I'd need to see more emotional range from him to think he can do Doc.

Excited to see what they do.

More on the problem:

The issues stalling the deal, the site claims, "go beyond the basic fact that Phoenix is balking at the heavy multi-picture contract: Joaquin Phoenix literally doesn't know if he can work on this kind of movie. He's a great actor, and he can play the role. But the Marvel Studios blockbuster machine is full of pre-viz and fight-viz and green screen and massive reshoots. It's not a world that's as comfortable for him, and he's just not certain he can do it. ... If Marvel can get past any issues Phoenix has with the larger contract they still have to get over the doubt this terrific actor has about working in this larger environment."

Yeah, I agree it's time to move on from Phoenix. If he's not comfortable with the commitment AND the film style (heavy CGI/Green Screens, etc.), then look towards someone else. We already had some great suggestions in this thread so their better off going that direction.

Might be a wise idea to look at a talented TV star much like they did with Pratt.

Dominic wouldn't make a hero-type character.
He's good and has the looks, but his filmography screams "too much of a ******" :lol

Screw these actors who are "too good" for multiple film deals on these movies.

So many others out there who are dying to find the job security something like this has to offer.

I'd actually commend him for not taking a role he's not sure he'd be comfortable playing just for the paycheck. I guess Marvel feels like they need a "name" to sell Doctor Strange to the public, but I think GotG has proven that's not the case.

Maybe it's due to the fact that Guardians looked to be (and was) a fun movie, whereas Strange may not be? Either way, seeing as how the casting for this is still up in the air, I've gotta say now that Hardy's out of the running, I'm really hopin' for Luke Evans.

Guardians also had Bradley Cooper and Vin Diesel in the casting, which they marketed like crazy, those are huge names.

Guardians also had Bradley Cooper and Vin Diesel in the casting, which they marketed like crazy, those are huge names.

I saw Vin Diesel marketed, but I never really saw or heard much from Cooper. Also, neither was actually onscreen which isn't as big of a draw no matter how much you put their names out there.

I saw Vin Diesel marketed, but I never really saw or heard much from Cooper. Also, neither was actually onscreen which isn't as big of a draw no matter how much you put their names out there.

Cooper didn’t do much marketing himself, but he as RR was marketed by Marvel like crazy.

Back