NHL General Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Olli Maata has the upside of a Kris Letang, without the band-aid boy label. And the fact he can actually play D.. booo-urns.
Great cycling game. Offensively gifted and strong defensively for a teenager. He's the biggest thing all season. Sidney Crosby has been Sidney Crosby, and knock on wood, he's been healthy, but aside from that and the obvious new gear James Neal has found, this has been the season of the young Finn. I am not a fan of Geno's game this season. Matt Niskanen has been a revelation... well, more-so in the first half vs. the second half. I am liking the new found chemistry that Crosby has with new comer Lee Stempniak on the right wing. Pascal Dupuis, who? Plus it gives us more options to work with on the right side, with Brian Gibbons, and when Beau Bennett comes back.

And stop being hard on Marc-Andre Fleury, he has had a rock solid season. First in NHL wins, second in shutouts and posting great numbers all-around. He played amazing in his last game, where he backstopped 20 shots in the 3rd period alone for his 5th shutout of the season. Seriously, give the guy props when he deserves it. That's all I ask, especially as a fellow Penguins fan.

btw What is up with the implosion of the Vancouver Canucks? Two GMs who should be fired in the off season.... Mike Gillis and Garth Snow. If they aren't... that is pathetic.

Olli Maata has the upside of a Kris Letang, without the band-aid boy label. And the fact he can actually play D.. booo-urns.
Great cycling game. Offensively gifted and strong defensively for a teenager. He's the biggest thing all season. Sidney Crosby has been Sidney Crosby, and knock on wood, he's been healthy, but aside from that and the obvious new gear James Neal has found, this has been the season of the young Finn. I am not a fan of Geno's game this season. Matt Niskanen has been a revelation... well, more-so in the first half vs. the second half. I am liking the new found chemistry that Crosby has with new comer Lee Stempniak on the right wing. Pascal Dupuis, who? Plus it gives us more options to work with on the right side, with Brian Gibbons, and when Beau Bennett comes back.

And stop being hard on Marc-Andre Fleury, he has had a rock solid season. First in NHL wins, second in shutouts and posting great numbers all-around. He played amazing in his last game, where he backstopped 20 shots in the 3rd period alone for his 5th shutout of the season. Seriously, give the guy props when he deserves it. That's all I ask, especially as a fellow Penguins fan.

btw What is up with the implosion of the Vancouver Canucks? Two GMs who should be fired in the off season.... Mike Gillis and Garth Snow. If they aren't... that is pathetic.

If we don't go into panic mode and the D plays solid like our chances to make it to the cup final.

maf has played better, especially on the west coast swing and against the Caps the other night, but still feel any given night he can play awful see the game against the Habs after the Olympic break, he gave up 5 goals with a couple of softies. But like you said he has played strong this year, the wins don't really count for me with that line up in front of him, but the shut outs do, so will give him credit for that.

Playoffs start next week.... And after a stellar game against the wings, MAF lets in a bunch of softies today

The run to the Cup starts tonight! :rock :rock

I have Boston vs. Chicago in the finals. But this time Boston winning it all.

I really wanted to pick Pittsburgh by I just don't trust MAF. If the Penguins lose again due to him, then that's on Pittsburgh management.

By the way, they should give out a trophy to whoever comes out of the West :lol Any team could make the finals except Dallas and Minnesota.

The run to the Cup starts tonight! :rock :rock

I have Boston vs. Chicago in the finals. But this time Boston winning it all.

I really wanted to pick Pittsburgh by I just don't trust MAF. If the Penguins lose again due to him, then that's on Pittsburgh management.

By the way, they should give out a trophy to whoever comes out of the West :lol Any team could make the finals except Dallas and Minnesota.

That looked like the exact same Pens team that played the islanders last year sigh

They won't get past Philly if they don't a lot better

I have Ana vs Philly in the final

I seen a lot of Pittsburgh Penguin games this season, and while Marc-Andre Fleury deservingly should have been called out for some bad goals (no different than any other NHL goalie who's played this season), most of the time when he finished with an awful stat line, he was actually surprisingly not as bad as it read, but simply it was more to do with his D failing him. Just an example; the game were he let in 3 goals into the 1st and was pulled, due to a mercy call 9 minutes in by Dan Blysma, our dear friend DeezNutz would have you believe it was all on him. No. It was the D... one goal was a redirected shot (any fan knows those are the toughest shots to predict), in a mass of players, in which he was screened. No goalie could see that. The other goal was where MAF made the save, but Rob Scuderi just stood there like a pylon, had the opportunity to take his man out of a play by a poke check, or use his body, but did nothing. The skater got it up on a rebound, while Mac-Andre was down, committed by the initial shot. Again, even your Jonathan Quicks and Henrik Lundqvists of the NHL wouldn't have had that one.

Anyway, Fleury was solid in Game 1. Defence is also part of the problem, which people need to realize. There were some blunders in this game. Also Brandon Dubinsky is to the Columbus Jackets, what Sean Couturier is to the Philadelphia Flyers. A living thorn in the side of the likes of the Sidney Crosbys and Evgeni Malkins. In the Boston series in the ECF, the problem was completely on the offence. Even Crosby said, if you worry about Fleury starting in these playoffs, people should worry about him too, since he didn't play so well in that series. 2 goals in 4 games from that kind of offence... horrible, horrible production. 3 former Art Ross winners, and seven former 30 goal scorers on one roster, and that was the production we got? Unacceptable. That stood out more than MAF's gaffs, and don't get me wrong, he had plenty of them. But when you're an offensive juggernaut and you go .50 GPG in a series, that is something for the ages. At that point it was Tomas Vokoun in net. If we knock Fleury for his past blunders, we should mock the star skaters on the team as well.

I trust MAF. People tend to forget he also leads all active goalies in playoff wins. Brodeur is all but officially retired. Fleury went 1.97 GAA, and .933 save percentage in four playoff rounds and another year won us a Cup. I get that was five years ago, and in the past, but so are his past playoff blunders. If he has another off year in the post season, then you may have to look at who else is out there. Pickings is slim though, and the thing of it is, guys like Paul Martin as an example last game, were bleah...

I wouldn't be surprised if the Blue Jackets upset the Penguins, but I am doubtful since they went ten minutes without a shot on net in the third. I don't think it will come down to goaltending as much as it comes down to systems. The Boston Bruins are the team to beat in the East. I also think this could be the year of Anaheim. Their goalie depth is something amazing.... even with Viktor Fasth traded. Depends on how serious the injury is to Ryan Getzlaf. He's their heart and soul. Their leader. If he goes down, so does the ship. Yes, he's that good this season. Not so sure about the Chicago Blackhawks. Yes, they have won two Stanley Cups in the past 4 years, but with Patrick Kane still MIA (or is he, haven't been following up on that) and the way they have been playing of late, there are concerns, but yes, they also have great depth in their ranks. Still, Kane is a very big piece. A former Conn Smyth winner, and the best player in that first Stanley Cup Final.

Last edited:
I seen a lot of Pittsburgh Penguin games this season, and while Marc-Andre Fleury deservingly should have been called out for some bad goals (no different than any other NHL goalie who's played this season), most of the time when he finished with an awful stat line, he was actually surprisingly not as bad as it read, but simply it was more to do with his D failing him. Just an example; the game were he let in 3 goals into the 1st and was pulled, due to a mercy call 9 minutes in by Dan Blysma, our dear friend DeezNutz would have you believe it was all on him. No. It was the D... one goal was a redirected shot (any fan knows those are the toughest shots to predict), in a mass of players, in which he was screened. No goalie could see that. The other goal was where MAF made the save, but Rob Scuderi just stood there like a pylon, had the opportunity to take his man out of a play by a poke check, or use his body, but did nothing. The skater got it up on a rebound, while Mac-Andre was down, committed by the initial shot. Again, even your Jonathan Quicks and Henrik Lundqvists of the NHL wouldn't have had that one.

Anyway, Fleury was solid in Game 1. Defence is also part of the problem, which people need to realize. There were some blunders in this game. Also Brandon Dubinsky is to the Columbus Jackets, what Sean Couturier is to the Philadelphia Flyers. A living thorn in the side of the likes of the Sidney Crosbys and Evgeni Malkins. In the Boston series in the ECF, the problem was completely on the offence. Even Crosby said, if you worry about Fleury starting in these playoffs, people should worry about him too, since he didn't play so well in that series. 2 goals in 4 games from that kind of offence... horrible, horrible production. 3 former Art Ross winners, and seven former 30 goal scorers on one roster, and that was the production we got? Unacceptable. That stood out more than MAF's gaffs, and don't get me wrong, he had plenty of them. But when you're an offensive juggernaut and you go .50 GPG in a series, that is something for the ages. At that point it was Tomas Vokoun in net. If we knock Fleury for his past blunders, we should mock the star skaters on the team as well.

I trust MAF. People tend to forget he also leads all active goalies in playoff wins. Brodeur is all but officially retired. Fleury went 1.97 GAA, and .933 save percentage in four playoff rounds and another year won us a Cup. I get that was five years ago, and in the past, but so are his past playoff blunders. If he has another off year in the post season, then you may have to look at who else is out there. Pickings is slim though, and the thing of it is, guys like Paul Martin as an example last game, were bleah...

I wouldn't be surprised if the Blue Jackets upset the Penguins, but I am doubtful since they went ten minutes without a shot on net in the third. I don't think it will come down to goaltending as much as it comes down to systems. The Boston Bruins are the team to beat in the East. I also think this could be the year of Anaheim. Their goalie depth is something amazing.... even with Viktor Fasth traded. Depends on how serious the injury is to Ryan Getzlaf. He's their heart and soul. Their leader. If he goes down, so does the ship. Yes, he's that good this season. Not so sure about the Chicago Blackhawks. Yes, they have won two Stanley Cups in the past 4 years, but with Patrick Kane still MIA (or is he, haven't been following up on that) and the way they have been playing of late, there are concerns, but yes, they also have great depth in their ranks. Still, Kane is a very big piece. A former Conn Smyth winner, and the best player in that first Stanley Cup Final.

While I will agree with almost everything in the post ( in regards to the Pens), the sputtering offence of last year, the suspect defence of the past few seasons and even the last game (Martin/Scuderi/Letang were awful on some shifts). I will never agree that MAF can EVEN be mentioned in the same sentence Quick and Brodeur. Rattle off of the stats you want (one would think a goalie with Crosby/Malkin/Neal in front of him could win a few games), but for every single stat you have I can post a highlight of god awful goal allowed by MAF, not just a "a he should have had that one", but a "WTF was a that". MOst recent evidence, final game of the year vs Philly in OT. I challenge you Eli, to post a play off goal of that caliber allowed by the elite goalies in the league.

Facts are fact I dont need stats

2013 vs the Islanders, pulled needed to be replaced by Vokoun, he was flip flopping all over the crease, bumbling the puck behind the next just a disaster, please show me another goalie that did that last post season?
2012 vs the Flyers, defence was horrid, but where was this guy when they needed him, letting in 30 foot wrist shots and goals with 1.2 seconds left in the period.
2011 vs the Lightning, up 3-1, no Crosby, no Malkin, yes the team was out worked, but he was out worked by a 40 year old Dwayne Roloson
2010 vs the Habs, see the Tom Pyatt goal in game three, I rest my case (again, if you can show another goalie letting that kind of soft goal in, please do
2009 vs the Wings, YES we won, but we can thank Talbot and Malkin for getting us there and the defence for locking it down in games 6 and 7, remember what the out come of game 5 was? Thats right, lit up for 5 goals, and he got the mercy hook right? ( I will give him credit for stopping Ovi in game 6, he doesnt make that save and they lose for sure)

Instead of useless stats, give me proof that this guy has earned his paycheck when it counts?

You spouting off facts that I know is pointless. I can't argue with those facts. I am on your ass because you're on his in times it's not deserving and you fail to bring up when he does well... meaning you're never around to post when he steals a game or comes up big in a shutout victory. It's only to bash the guy. We get it. You hate him, but what does it do for you, you letting us know this? I think he has done a good job so far this season rebounding from a terrible playoffs. Difference is I am not ignorant to his last few horrible playoff years... but you seem to be ignorant to every bit of good he does. This confuses me because you're a Pittsburgh Penguins fan. Ask Praxitas, the other fellow Pens fan on here. He doesn't get it either. I am just a fan who supports my players like a good fan should... but make no confusion or mistake, I am not going to tolerate another playoff blunder from him. Nor am I going to accept a whole team collapse like the ones we saw in Philadelphia in 2012 and in Boston in the ECF last Spring.

I hope you understand this isn't me playing blind to the facts. I never have. It's about you playing blind to when he does well, and using every bit of energy to bash him. Again, as a fan it confuses me. His two Stanley Cup Final years and Cup win, which he stole that all important Cup winning game for us, you know the one were Talbot was the other star and scored 2 goals? That one! I get that was in the past, but so are the other years. I would be all for bashing the guy if he never took us to the Cup twice, and won us a Cup (all facts too btw), and stole us that all important game (feel as though this needs repeating), or the fact he has been solid so far this year, and looked to show a pretty good performance in Game 1 of the opening round of these playoffs... just would like to see you support the guy when he does well. From one Pens fan to another. Not asking for much. I'll be right there to be on his ass to say he had a bad game when he does. Trust me, you're not the only one who tires of mediocre playoff performances from a team that should have done much better than they have shown since 2009.

Paul Stastny sure has turned his career around, and coincidentally enough, like 80 percent of athletes, it happened on a contract year. Go figure. ;)

You spouting off facts that I know is pointless. I can't argue with those facts. I am on your ass because you're on his in times it's not deserving and you fail to bring up when he does well... meaning you're never around to post when he steals a game or comes up big in a shutout victory. It's only to bash the guy. We get it. You hate him, but what does it do for you, you letting us know this? I think he has done a good job so far this season rebounding from a terrible playoffs. Difference is I am not ignorant to his last few horrible playoff years... but you seem to be ignorant to every bit of good he does. This confuses me because you're a Pittsburgh Penguins fan. Ask Praxitas, the other fellow Pens fan on here. He doesn't get it either. I am just a fan who supports my players like a good fan should... but make no confusion or mistake, I am not going to tolerate another playoff blunder from him. Nor am I going to accept a whole team collapse like the ones we saw in Philadelphia in 2012 and in Boston in the ECF last Spring.

I hope you understand this isn't me playing blind to the facts. I never have. It's about you playing blind to when he does well, and using every bit of energy to bash him. Again, as a fan it confuses me. His two Stanley Cup Final years and Cup win, which he stole that all important Cup winning game for us, you know the one were Talbot was the other star and scored 2 goals? That one! I get that was in the past, but so are the other years. I would be all for bashing the guy if he never took us to the Cup twice, and won us a Cup (all facts too btw), and stole us that all important game (feel as though this needs repeating), or the fact he has been solid so far this year, and looked to show a pretty good performance in Game 1 of the opening round of these playoffs... just would like to see you support the guy when he does well. From one Pens fan to another. Not asking for much. I'll be right there to be on his ass to say he had a bad game when he does. Trust me, you're not the only one who tires of mediocre playoff performances from a team that should have done much better than they have shown since 2009.

Dude, no one wants you to be more right about MAF then me, and dont worry soon as he plays the way he does and can in the playoffs Ill be the first to praise him for it. The problem is, its been to long since he has shown in the playoffs, that he can be that elite goaltender.

I dont pump his tires in the regular because he has been a top goalie consistently throughout his career for the most part ( he still has let is some of worst goals ive ever seen though) and to be fair at 5+ million dollars he better be.

Id dont think we was solid in game, he even said himself he was nervous and shaky, I think he was average at best, thought he was once again out of position on 2 of the three goals. But today is another day, lets see what happens tonight.

:gah: 6 F'n seconds and the Hawks can't hold on. 2 games in a row that are going to OT. Hope they find a way to pull this one out.

Damn, this is a costly loss. Lost the game and Seabrook will be missing some games as well for his hit on Backes.

Can't hang this one on MAF

This one on bumbling Bylsma, once again a country club, no sense of desperation in this team

Again, MAF has been solid. Also, if we lose to Columbus, Shero better fire Blysma. As a GM, he makes astounding trades, but he's too loosie goosie with his coach.

Again, MAF has been solid. Also, if we lose to Columbus, Shero better fire Blysma. As a GM, he makes astounding trades, but he's too loosie goosie with his coach.

And letang has been a disaster, I'd bench him and play bortuzzo

Back