Hot Toys - DS001A-C - Iron Man 2: 1/6th scale Hall of Armor Collectible Specs & Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - DS001A-C - Iron Man 2: 1/6th scale Hall of Armor Collectible Specs & P

This actually looks exactly like what I'd need, as I have no route to a power socket for my HoA. You've used some terminology I don't understand, though (not an electronics / electricals bod here), and I can't see enough in your pictures to work it out for certain.

I see I need at least

* Lots of wire (duh)
* DC adapter to fit the HoA unit
* Dowel / other + pins to make the battery substitutes
* D-type in-series battery holder (or lots of sticky tape :))

I don't know what buss bars or jumper strip are, though. From a google search, it looks like buss bars are the same as terminal blocks, and jumper strips are like metal combs (or the other way around) - is that right?

From what I can see in the picture and determine from your text

* The halved jumper strip goes into the top and bottom half of the buss bar
* The power-in cables go +ve above the split, -ve below, making the top half of the bar all +ve and the bottom all -ve
* Any top-half can then be run to a +ve terminal, and any bottom half can go to a -ve terminal

Is that correct?

If so - to make it work for bigger set ups (I have 7 HoA + workshop = 10 outputs), it it just a case of using a longer buss bar?

I missed this earlier post but I will try to help now.

You pretty much understand how the buss bar works. You don't need a bigger buss bar for more wires. You can put more then one wire in each terminal or you can put more then one terminal under each screw.

If you live in the USA all of these parts can be found at Radio Shack. If you don't live in the USA I could put a kit together for you, including the dowel rod adapters

PM me about that if you want to.

Thanks, guys. The display isn't quite finished - some of the top shelf items will move to smaller cabinets that haven't been installed yet, to make room for the 1966 Batmobile and DeLorean (eventually) as well as more Iron Man suits, since the Marvel shelf is already a bit full.

I didn't build these myself, they were designed and built for me. This is one of two similar cabinet rooms; this one has a 1m depth on the back wall to accommodate the cars, with 60cm sides and currently holds my Star Wars, LotR, Batman and Marvel stuff, the other is 60cm depth on all sides and hold my Transformers, Assassins Creed and Portal stuff.

The bases are wooden with storage space (not enough for all my Hot Toys boxes, but a little bit), the doors are indeed glass on a slide mechanism. The shelves are glass supported on metal arms that can be adjusted up and down similar to what you'd find in a supermarket. The lighting is LED panels + spotlights; each side can be operated / lit independently of the others, although the spotlights and LEDs for each side work together.

There are no power supplies into the interior of the case, hence my earlier posts asking about wiring up the HoA to a battery unit, for which I now have most of the parts to progress )

That is a nice layout and it was executed perfectly. They must have cost a small fortune.

Re: Hot Toys - DS001A-C - Iron Man 2: 1/6th scale Hall of Armor Collectible Specs & P

I missed this earlier post but I will try to help now.

You pretty much understand how the buss bar works. You don't need a bigger buss bar for more wires. You can put more then one wire in each terminal or you can put more then one terminal under each screw.

If you live in the USA all of these parts can be found at Radio Shack. If you don't live in the USA I could put a kit together for you, including the dowel rod adapters

PM me about that if you want to.

Thank you for the offer, but I think I have everything now either in-hand or on order.

One question, though - would a similar approach work for the toys themselves? I know some battery compartments couldn't support trailing wires due to disturbing the front-facing view (notably the recent heads on the Silver Centurion and (I think) Python), but I was pondering putting wires out of the rear-facing slots. Changing all of the batteries in my Iron Man figures takes upward of half an hour, and switching them on for display is something of a pain, and it's only going to get worse as they add to the line-up :)

I was considering having one for the HoA / Tony base, one for the Batmobiles and another for the non-HoA armours. The HoA armours themselves wouldn't be wired as I wouldn't be able to hide the wires, and they're not supposed to be lit in there, anyway :)

Yes it would be possible to hard wire an armor but it wouldn't be easy. You would have to highly modify the armor to hide the wires.

I have custom made display cases, specifically built deep enough to hold Hot Toys Batmobiles. It just happened to be the case that it was also deep enough for a full HoA display :)

Toys_Displays_20140826_0007.jpg

Awesome display! Some really nice pieces in there

Yes it would be possible to hard wire an armor but it wouldn't be easy. You would have to highly modify the armor to hide the wires.
I wasn't thinking of keeping the battery covers in place for the rear-facing items, so I can have wires effectively poking out behind where no one will see them, potentially to a smaller buss bar hidden behind the figure which in turn links back to the main buss bar, possibly with a quick-disconnect socket so the figure can be separated from the display. Wires to the main power distribution can be run down the back of support stands or legs.

So long as it's electrically viable, I may give that a go after the HoA is done.

Thanks, guys. The display isn't quite finished - some of the top shelf items will move to smaller cabinets that haven't been installed yet, to make room for the 1966 Batmobile and DeLorean (eventually) as well as more Iron Man suits, since the Marvel shelf is already a bit full.

Toys_Displays_20140826_0009.jpg
I didn't build these myself, they were designed and built for me. This is one of two similar cabinet rooms; this one has a 1m depth on the back wall to accommodate the cars, with 60cm sides and currently holds my Star Wars, LotR, Batman and Marvel stuff, the other is 60cm depth on all sides and hold my Transformers, Assassins Creed and Portal stuff.

The bases are wooden with storage space (not enough for all my Hot Toys boxes, but a little bit), the doors are indeed glass on a slide mechanism. The shelves are glass supported on metal arms that can be adjusted up and down similar to what you'd find in a supermarket. The lighting is LED panels + spotlights; each side can be operated / lit independently of the others, although the spotlights and LEDs for each side work together.

There are no power supplies into the interior of the case, hence my earlier posts asking about wiring up the HoA to a battery unit, for which I now have most of the parts to progress )

give_it_to_me_stephen_colbert.gif

So clean and impressive. Nothing like having your own personal Toy Museum. :hi5:

show the other!

show the other!
Once the two additional cases are in place and I can reorganise a little, I'll be doing a full photo shoot of my entire display - I'll post a link when it's done. With other things going on, it'll likely be late September / early October :)

54413-Gladiator-Joaquin-Phoenix-thum-5Pf1.gif

1380170671_14-Of-Hollywoods-Most-Lov_9.gif

soo, thinking about getting this set. anyone know where one can obtain the set of 7 at the lowest price possible? :D

soo, thinking about getting this set. anyone know where one can obtain the set of 7 at the lowest price possible? :D

I've been trying to find one for the last 4 months, after I get a set I'll let you know ;)

I just acquired a used set of 7 for about $650 shipped. Not bad I think.

That aint bad at all, i kinda wanna get this in the $600 range, im in no rush of course :lol

Once the two additional cases are in place and I can reorganise a little, I'll be doing a full photo shoot of my entire display - I'll post a link when it's done. With other things going on, it'll likely be late September / early October :)

Wow that is the best display case I've ever seen posted on these boards! That's everything I'm looking for in a custom case myself; nice depth, no "walls" or constraints like Detolfs, and storage space on the bottom instead of floor level display shelf. Well done man!! :rock

Can't wait to see your other 2!

A few minor tweaks to my display (reposed Banner, changed all the fists to relaxed hands, changed around the stuff on the table, and Dummy is being a good boy and holding Banner's jacket)

I am going to pick this up from SS in October with some rewards...very excited but annoyed that I now have to go and buy the Mark I 2.0

Just got these in hand yesterday and after assembling everything and filling it with the IM armor pieces I have, it is absolutely gorgeous. My wife was actually amazed at the display (especially the lighting)!

I do have one question about the lighting though. The instruction sheet says I can use 1 4.5v AC adapter to power all the bases once they are all attached. I purchased a universal AC/DC Adapter and made sure I selected the 4.5v option, but the stand would not light up. I am not sure what is wrong, but can anyone who is currently using an adapter for their display recommend me an adapter I can purchase that would guarantee work? Thanks!

Before you do anything or mess around with it, scroll back and see what others who did this were talking about, or wait for one of the guys who's wire savvy to chime in. I know that someone burnt out their set beyond repair by using the wrong voltage and had to repurchase

I am going to pick this up from SS in October with some rewards...very excited but annoyed that I now have to go and buy the Mark I 2.0

Ouch

Back