PC thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PICS! :lol

PSU is at the top? Aren't they at the bottom typically?

They used to be mostly on the top, so there's still some that have it there

Sorry, the PSU is at the bottom but the plug to power PCI and the LGA 2011 socket are at the very top of the motherboard. I will get some photos tonight of my madness.

I'm building a new config these days and here's what I'm getting , thought I'd share.

ASUS Z87-A
Intel Haswell i7 4770K
Noctua NH-U14S
MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GD5 OC
Seasonic Platinum SS-660XP2
G.skill Ares DDR3 1600
Samsung 840 Evo 250GB
WD Black 2TB
Pioneer BDR-209DBK
Corsair Obsidian 550D
WD My Passport Ultra 2TB
Noctua 1xNF-A14 and 2xNF-F12
Windows 8.1 64bit OEM

how can i save my OS if i replace the mobo and cpu? I have enough parts to put the old mobo and cpu into another case...does my hard drive and mobo have to stay together in order to not have to replace that OS? I only want to buy one new OS and would rather leave my hard drive with the new mobo and cpu and put the old mobo and old cpu into another case.

Last edited:
how can i save my OS if i replace the mobo and cpu? I have enough parts to put the old mobo and cpu into another case...does my hard drive and mobo have to stay together in order to not have to replace that OS? I only want to buy one new OS and would rather leave my hard drive with the new mobo and cpu and put the old mobo and old cpu into another case.

What do you have? Windows 8? 8.1?

I upgraded my CPU and MOBO and was able to move the OS easily. I had to reactivate windows again but that was painless. Free. I had to call a number.

What do you have? Windows 8? 8.1?

I upgraded my CPU and MOBO and was able to move the OS easily. I had to reactivate windows again but that was painless. Free. I had to call a number.

Windows 7 Ultimate...I'm sticking with 7. Ok, so sounds like I'd just have to call to activate. Thanks.

Just thought I'd ask this here - does anyone know of the "best" video card I can get within a price range of $200 to $300? I'm currently looking at the Radeon R9 720 X and the MSI GTX 760 at Tiger Direct...

Just thought I'd ask this here - does anyone know of the "best" video card I can get within a price range of $200 to $300? I'm currently looking at the Radeon R9 720 X and the MSI GTX 760 at Tiger Direct...

You mean the R9 270X? Isn't the 280X around $300?, I'd go with that one if you want AMD.....Probably go with the MSI GTX 760 (but get the 4GB version and the one with the best custom cooler) or the EVGA GTX 760, if you want an NVidia one around $300 ( https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...raphics card&bop=And&Order=PRICED&PageSize=20 ). But they are all close, maybe someone can chime in who has similar cards. Sooooo many options these days.

Here's a good article, in case you haven't seen it already: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html

You mean the R9 270X? Isn't the 280X around $300?, I'd go with that one if you want AMD.....Probably go with the MSI GTX 760 (but get the 4GB version and the one with the best custom cooler) or the EVGA GTX 760, if you want an NVidia one around $300 ( https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...raphics card&bop=And&Order=PRICED&PageSize=20 ). But they are all close, maybe someone can chime in who has similar cards. Sooooo many options these days.

Here's a good article, in case you haven't seen it already: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html

Yeah, or the 280. It's about $300.

My "most recent activity" on Steam is from 2008 to play Portal, so clearly I'm not on there very often.

But I thought the appeal of buying older games on Steam was that they are ready to go in a modern environment? I bought Dark Forces, even though I own the game on CD, because I didn't feel like messing with DOS Box, etc. But it turns out I need to do all of this anyway, despite purchasing the game through Steam? Bleh.

Back