Star Wars: The Force Awakens (12/18/15)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (12/18/15) Discussion Thread

I hope you guys feel dirty after you whine about which of the PT have the biggest faults. :lol

Although I personally don't hate the films with the zeal that some do, they all have problems large enough to drive a tank through.

but in the first one it felt like a dance. They might be real actors doing wire work, but the scene was choreographed so much it feels like they might as well be doing a ballet dance with sabers.
I think that was my initial feeling on that big fight scene. Despite their simplicity, the light saber battles in the OT were much more visceral and dramatic. But simply as a spectacle to watch as eye candy, the prequel fights are better, including spastic Yoda. If I was an 8 year old kid, I would probably enjoy the prequel fights more. Related to that, one of the things I always hated about the prequels were the fact that they twist their light sabers around like batons constantly.

gda15bc71.gif

g58d61ced.gif

I pray that that never happens in the new films.

I like the ballet dance moves in TPM. I view it as Maul sort of just toying with them. This is the most skilled lightsaber combatant in the whole saga we've seen on screen. He can afford to have these gracious and fluid movements and doesn't really do much to wear the Jedi down. He just waits for his openings and he takes them. He defeated Qui-Gon and if it weren't for that random little peg sticking out of the wall, he'd have killed Obi-Wan too. The rest of the fights in the prequels apart from Qui-Gon and Maul's first confrontation on Tatooine were too cartoony and stupid. That is especially true of Yoda vs Dooku.

Luke isn't a trained Jedi in the sense that Obi-Wan or Qui-Gon were. He also is fueled by fear and anger when things get going. Vader isn't often on the offensive either and is more often on the defensive. When he is on the offensive, it appears he's just trying to push Luke around and beat him down physically and emotionally waiting for his chance to either capture him or lure him to the Darkside.

We will discount the fight in ANH. The technological limitations make that fight look so pathetic. It's the dialogue that is the best part of that scene.

I'm sure they already have the entire cast ready to rock but yeah, Abrams is definitely tight lipped as I'm sure everyone else has to be. Why the big secret?
It would be interesting if they kept the entire storyline and cast a secret all the way till opening day. Honestly a preview with just SWVII scrolling would still have everyone waiting outside. It's like having a baby and waiting to know what sex it is haha.

That would be impossible, if any of the casting rumors are true then they've already failed at keeping information secret.

You guys are being way too harsh on TPM. :lol

It's got more redeeming aspects than the other two PT films combined.

Dude.... I have said this for years and nobody ever agrees with me. :duff

Sallah

''I beg to differ Obi-wan'' *as he lunges with sabre* ''YOU are the one who is lost''

*Obi-wan deflects* ''if you insist to make such proclamation, you must be able to support it with due reference to facts!'' *counter-attacks with sabre*

*as Anakin defends* ''...and I shall if you will be so inclined as to listen!''

''SO be it! Speak Anakin if you please!''

''...pause fight?''

''yes of course.... but lets jump over to that embankment first, I think my boots are melting onto my feet''
:lol good one.

Reminded me of the old youtube meme..

I think that was my initial feeling on that big fight scene. Despite their simplicity, the light saber battles in the OT were much more visceral and dramatic. But simply as a spectacle to watch as eye candy, the prequel fights are better, including spastic Yoda. If I was an 8 year old kid, I would probably enjoy the prequel fights more. Related to that, one of the things I always hated about the prequels were the fact that they twist their light sabers around like batons constantly.

gda15bc71.gif

g58d61ced.gif

I pray that that never happens in the new films.

Hamill practicing video is just as brutal, fast and impressive as anything from the PT, not his fault that he was forced to tone it down because Vader couldn't keep up with him and Prowse was blind. :lol

Dude.... I have said this for years and nobody ever agrees with me. :duff

Sallah

And I never will. :lol

All 3 are chimp p o o p. :lol

I wonder which saber fighting style Abrams will showcase in Episode 7. The PT conveyed old men that twirled and flew around. Can you imagine old Luke lighting his sword and then turning into a horizontally twirling CG torpedo?

Not hard to imagine that after the prequels, but I hope not. Anyone know how much CG was used in action scenes in the Star Trek movies he helmed?

Duel of The Fates was a Star Wars highlight for me. Of any generation.

They just need to start the new movie with Luke waking up with a start and Leia coming to his bedside.

"What is it?"

"I had...a vision. Of events that took place before we were born. The last Jedi Council, my father as a young man, soldiers cloned from Boba Fett, and our mother dying minutes after we were born."

"It wasn't a vision Luke, just a bad dream. That bounty hunter from Cloud City has no connection to the Republic and I told you on Endor that I have memories of our mother. She didn't die right after I was born."

"Oh yeah. Well good then because it was all very disturbing."

And then the series continues with no further mention of midichlorians or any other PT nonsense.

but in the first one it felt like a dance. They might be real actors doing wire work, but the scene was choreographed so much it feels like they might as well be doing a ballet dance with sabers.

So, Yeah technically that fight is real in the sense that you have real actors. But the performance and the crappy dance routine makes it feel just as fake to me.
After all we are seeing 3 people in front of a green screen moving their arms around aimlessly.
Aimlessly? Hardly.. & technically nothing.

Neeson never danced - neither did Ewan. After Qui-Gon goes down - as Obi-Wan & Maul amp it up, the following sequences are the best lightsaber skills in practice you're likely to see on screen for a good long while. Those guys rehearsed like mofos to get to that level of timing & accuracy. Ray Park is a martial artist & skilled with weapons. His skill is REAL. The dedication Ewan put in for TPM was staggering.

****ing dancing.. :lol

..And Christopher Lee might have had a stunt Double, but that stunt double is a real guy, That's a real person, so you could say that the fight of the 2 jedi with Lee was "Real" in the sense that there really was a person with them.
I thought we were discussing Yoda & Dooku?

Ewan, Hayden & stunt guy - sure.

Lee + ILM doesn't equal real anything though.

Last edited:

They just need to start the new movie with Luke waking up with a start and Leia coming to his bedside.

Or instead of "coming to his bedside", have Leia simply roll over in the same bed (whilst taking off her ear/hair bun styled sleeping mask blind fold thing) asking Luke what's wrong.

:monkey3

Basically everything you said, PLUS, "and in this dream, you were my sister and the Rebel Alliance was saved by a bunch of midget teddy bears".

Back