Star Wars: The Force Awakens (12/18/15)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (12/18/15) Discussion Thread

There have been enough leaks from the set to make it clear the Empire is still around, and honestly would it be a SW film without the Empire? So a Dark Lord or high ranking officer is going to be our new heavy ***coughcoughMaxcoughcoughVonSydowcough***

Maul was more analogous to Boba Fett in my opinion. Minimal characterization but really cool design. Handful of lines. Mysterious. Left us wanting to see more. Palpatine was the only "real" villain which was unfortunate because Christopher Lee could have been awesome. His talents were wasted on Dooku. Jango was just fan service although Temura Morrison was actually cool in the role. And Grievous is the single stupidest thing in the entire prequel trilogy.

Agreed on all points.

You guys think that Grievous was stupider than the Jamaican duck / rabbit / lizard?

Think again. :lol

You guys think that Grievous was stupider than the Jamaican duck / rabbit / lizard?

Think again. :lol

We were introduced to Jar Jar. He didn't come out of freaking no where. I understood his species, his culture, his motivations, and he served a purpose in 2/3 of the movies. He helped the Jedi find the queen, he helped the queen find the Gungans, he lured the droid army away from the capitol, and he granted Palpatine emergency powers. What did Grievous do again? Cough and twirl lightsabers around like batons? Who is he? Where'd he come from? Why is he a threat?

Neimodians were clearly Asians, not Mexican. I liked Nute Gunray in TPM. He was made with practical effects and was supposed to be a gullible dunce.

So too with Grievous - in the 2003/04 Clone Wars animated Micro series. :huh

They're both stupid for their own reasons. :lol

This is a film series. I shouldn't HAVE to read books, comics, watch cartoons, or play video games to know what's happening. Those things should be used to enrich the universe and give it depth, not a crutch to jam in as much content into the last act of a clearly bad movie series. If he was so important, the majority of audiences wouldn't have first learned about him in the opening scroll.

And I'm by no means a Jar Jar fan. Just pointing out the shortcomings of AotC and RotS for being sloppy in its narrative by wasting so much time with pointless crap like younglings, Jocasta Nu, Dexter Jettster, and Sifo Dias when apparently none of that mattered the overall trilogy's narrative.

This is a film series. I shouldn't HAVE to read books, comics, watch cartoons, or play video games to know what's happening. Those things should be used to enrich the universe and give it depth, not a crutch to jam in as much content into the last act of a clearly bad movie series. If he was so important, the majority of audiences wouldn't have first learned about him in the opening scroll.

And I'm by no means a Jar Jar fan. Just pointing out the shortcomings of AotC and RotS for being sloppy in its narrative by wasting so much time with pointless crap like younglings, Jocasta Nu, Dexter Jettster, and Sifo Dias when apparently none of that mattered the overall trilogy's narrative.

Agreed again. His lack of previous introduction in the movies is key to why he is a complete waste of time. Lucas should have simply extended Dooku's role. I would much rather have seen more of Christopher Lee than yet more superfluous cartoon bullcrap.

Maul was more analogous to Boba Fett in my opinion. Minimal characterization but really cool design. Handful of lines. Mysterious. Left us wanting to see more. Palpatine was the only "real" villain which was unfortunate because Christopher Lee could have been awesome. His talents were wasted on Dooku. Jango was just fan service although Temura Morrison was actually cool in the role. And Grievous is the single stupidest thing in the entire prequel trilogy.
Agreed on all points.

..Are you out of your frickin minds? :lol

I think having a comedy villain in the last movie of the trilogy was a bigger offence.

I think having a comedy villain in the last movie of the trilogy was a bigger offence.

Nah, he was just there for spectacle, he was probably the lightest thing in Sith. There were already too many players involved for a bigger more fleshed out character. We had Anakin and Palps front and centre.

Dooku I never liked, at all. I love Lee outside of SW, but I felt his performance was weird, as if he didn't know his lines or had alzheimers in ATOC. Not saying Grievous was perfect, but to say he was the silliest thing in the trilogy is well..silly. IMO.

That honor IMO goes to the head swapping, cheesetastic C3PO in ATOC's arena/droid factory scenes, bad CG, bad dialogue bad everything.
I cringe everytime I see those scenes.
:rock

I agree about Dooku being terrible... of course I blame it more on Lucas and the directing. His best scene was when he looked over at Palps before Anakin beheaded him! :rock

I'll take Christopher Lee saying his lines weird over a cartoon robot any day.

I didn't really care for any characters in those films, but some of the performances were pretty good IMO, putting aside the dialog and other context. Chief among those for me being McGregor, Neeson, Maul, and the Emperor. If they were in a well written Star Wars story, they could have been amazing. I would put Lee and the Django Fett guy in a secondary category of OK acting. But it's hard to disentangle the performance from everything else. Maybe I would have liked him better if I didn't despise those films he was in. Particularly the fight scene with Yoda. :yuck

I don't give a flying **** about Grievous. :lol

MY point is - the Tartowsky series was part of the PT canon at the time, & whether folks watched it or not, that was their intent - to have it fill in the gaps & set up ROTS.

We were introduced to Jar Jar. He didn't come out of freaking no where. I understood his species, his culture, his motivations, and he served a purpose in 2/3 of the movies. He helped the Jedi find the queen, he helped the queen find the Gungans, he lured the droid army away from the capitol, and he granted Palpatine emergency powers. What did Grievous do again? Cough and twirl lightsabers around like batons? Who is he? Where'd he come from? Why is he a threat?

Neimodians were clearly Asians, not Mexican. I liked Nute Gunray in TPM. He was made with practical effects and was supposed to be a gullible dunce.

Nah, there was the one mexicaneimodian with the sunglasses that had a mexican accent. :lol

Back