General NBA Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He's gotta be in the top 5. I'd like to see top five lists that don't include him just to see what people are thinking.

westbrook over CP3? ugh, i hate seeing carmelo in that list...i suppose you almost have to but I'd rather go:

lebron, durant, cp3, love, anthony davis...

I'm no fan of Carmelo but I still think he's one of the best scores in the league. The same with Westbrook. He plays at a level that very few in the NBA do. If OKC could get a real PG and let him play SG they would have a much better offense.

There seems to be a difference between athletic freaks who can do great things, and guys who know how to win basketball games (working not only by themselves, but as part of a team), particularly games that count, and I can see how folks might want to include both in this kind of list. Lebron is both, maybe more of the former. Jordan was both, but more of the latter. Carmelo seems the former, considering his lack of post-season success. Love may also fit there. Magic Johnson was the latter IMO. CP3 is the latter (a bit of both though, really).

Carmelo is one of the best scores in the league today.

There seems to be a difference between athletic freaks who can do great things, and guys who know how to win basketball games (working not only by themselves, but as part of a team), particularly games that count, and I can see how folks might want to include both in this kind of list. Lebron is both, maybe more of the former. Jordan was both, but more of the latter. Carmelo seems the former, considering his lack of post-season success. Love may also fit there. Magic Johnson was the latter IMO. CP3 is the latter (a bit of both though, really).
w

There is and that's why I said that Love being top 5 is debatable. It all depends on what abilities and characteristics you think holds the most value in a player. If Carmelo learned to be a team player I might rank him higher than KD.

He's gotta be in the top 5. I'd like to see top five lists that don't include him just to see what people are thinking.

My top 5 would probably be James, Durant, Paul, Howard, and Westbrook. I can see Love in the top 10, but top 5? What is he, in the top 3 in terms of PER? But I think that PER is greatly skewed in terms of the offensive side of the game.

He doesn't strike me as a ball dominant type of player that demands the ball in every possession. But it just seems like the basketball would find its way to him, if that makes any sense. But I think my perception of him is skewed in that the Wolves FO did a poor job surrounding him with talent and the fact that he couldn't get them into the playoffs at least once.

But put the Wolves in the Eastern Conference, the Wolves probably do make the playoffs. At this point I would have to put Griffin above Love because of how Blake elevated his game when CP3 was hurt. All that said, I think Love would flourish with Lebron and Kyrie. He's an elite rebounder, shooter, as well as a good passer for a big man. Man it would be scary to think what he'd be like if a coach like Thibs ever got a hold of him. Best case scenario, top 3 player. Worst case, Carlos Boozer. :lol

Not that it matters no one in these conversations is employed by the league in any role to determine talent so it's all opinion but I'll play.

Lebron, Durant are in a tier all by themselves. Other players I'd consider alphas above Love: Paul, Howard, Anthony and when healthy Bryant and Rose. All the above regardless their teammates lead their teams to playoffs or finals. I consider them a step above.

I consider these guys really, really good players but not alphas (yet) Griffin, Westbrook, Curry, Irving and Love.

Rose and Kobe?! Neither has played a meaningful minute in two seasons. I can't stand the slack given to those two especially when wade is labeled done or a has been. Wade is still playing meaningful minutes. And has contributed a lot more to his teams then either of those two have. Might as well say Danny granger... Hey the guy was a 21 and 8 Allstar two years ago.

Rose and Kobe?! Neither has played a meaningful minute in two seasons. I can't stand the slack given to those two especially when wade is labeled done or a has been. Wade is still playing meaningful minutes. And has contributed a lot more to his teams then either of those two have. Might as well say Danny granger... Hey the guy was a 21 and 8 Allstar two years ago.

I said a healthy Bryant and Rose no need to be so sensitive. I forgot Wade, he is an alpha (least in my book). I am certain others will disagree but they have different criteria for studs it appears.

Nobody is giving anyone slack. When healthy Kobe and Rose are better players than Wade IMO. What Wade did to his knees ruined his longevity. The Granger comparison makes no sense.

And I backed it up with empirical cold hard facts employed by one of the most respected journalists, posted on the premier sports network. And a few others here agreed with me. Guess you're LOL'ing at them too? So your point?

Rose was in the discussion IMO before he tore the ACL. He's not now and has to play well to earn a spot back.

And I backed it up with empirical cold hard stats. And a few others here agreed with me. Guess you're LOL'ing at the them too Your point?

You value stats, I look at a more complete package. Another who agreed with me (gasp) even acknowledged the fact stats can be inflated during garbage time. soooooo my point is you have a different criteria than I do when valuing a player??? It isn't too difficult to figure out.

Back