Premium Format Article: Re: Jean Grey - Jim Lee Era

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay I'm going to entertain this line of thought real quick even though I think it's pretty ridiculous. Most of Sideshow's offerings come with a mixed reaction. Hell Even Batman and Superman, which most people swear by now that they've seen in hand pictures had their detractors. So let's toss the Sideshow doesn't care bag out the window. By the way, Daredevil has people that love the piece as well, and there's still people ordering Emma and Jean, even if they aren't my cup of tea, people still like them. That's the beauty of it, different people getting what they like.

Now, on to the "market Share" Sideshow lost, this is the part I love the most. You think that a company that does most of it's business over seas and only puts out 300pcs of a statue in total concerns Sideshow? Even when Sideshow had lower ES they'd put out a reg that was double to triple the XM numbers and would sell every single one. Doctor Doom, EX 500, that's over an XM run in itself, the Reg. 1000pcs. 1500 Doom's total. Maybe in the very beginning there releases were as small as XM's but it hasn't been that way in a long time. How many XM pieces do you think made it to the US? 100? 150? Hell let's say 2/3s 200pcs made it here. While XM was selling their 300pc Hulk Order Sideshow sold 2000 multi-colored Hulks, Has almost Sold out of the Red Hulk regular, that's another 1000pcs and has sold who knows how many G. Hulks. Many of which sold to people who also bought XM pieces. Hell they've sold out of EX they've issued in the last 20 years at 1/4 scale.

The whole point of this isn't XM vs. Sideshow, the point is that the argument that XM is doing anything to Hurt Sideshow yet is ridiculous. Sideshow took 20 years to build their brand, the Regs are sold in Comic Shops World Wide and the EXs are sold direct to a huge number of places. Sideshow has Seen other companies come (PCS, Syco Collectibles, Kotobukiya, Gentle Giant, XM, Prime 1) and they aren't flinching yet. So until XM puts out it's first 999pc item and it sells out and then they do that 10 more times, and people actually stop buying Sideshow all together (Which is going to be mighty difficult considering, even though others might like this, the quaility Sideshow gives for it's price), this XM is hurting Sideshow, just isn't happening.

Now out of the dream world and back to Jean Grey.

Thanks for proving my point man LOL

The reason there are many collectors interested in XM is because the ES is low (500ES has been the smallest btw) Stating that only a certain amount have made it to the states is irrelevant buddy. SS' s main source of revenue and orders are not from the U.S., they are from the international collectors.SS sells more product internationally then they do right here in the states. 800 Magneto's sold out worldwide in hours. You think that goes unnoticed? :lol. He's twice the price of a SS PF and four times the shipping cost bro! Come on man. Are they afraid of going out of business? Of course not dude. SS is still the king of the collectibles castle. However your points on other companies mentioned are kind of silly man. PCS for example has never done 1/4 scale marvel and on top of it most of the companies you mentioned SS has carried and sold reaping a portion of the profits!! XM is the first real competitor SS has ever had for their marvel line bro. This is the first time any of us have ever seen it. As for future releases and sells outs for XM... well we're a couple weeks away. Let's see what happens

Okay I'm going to entertain this line of thought real quick even though I think it's pretty ridiculous. Most of Sideshow's offerings come with a mixed reaction. Hell Even Batman and Superman, which most people swear by now that they've seen in hand pictures had their detractors. So let's toss the Sideshow doesn't care bag out the window. By the way, Daredevil has people that love the piece as well, and there's still people ordering Emma and Jean, even if they aren't my cup of tea, people still like them. That's the beauty of it, different people getting what they like.

Now, on to the "market Share" Sideshow lost, this is the part I love the most. You think that a company that does most of it's business over seas and only puts out 300pcs of a statue in total concerns Sideshow? Even when Sideshow had lower ES they'd put out a reg that was double to triple the XM numbers and would sell every single one. Doctor Doom, EX 500, that's over an XM run in itself, the Reg. 1000pcs. 1500 Doom's total. Maybe in the very beginning there releases were as small as XM's but it hasn't been that way in a long time. How many XM pieces do you think made it to the US? 100? 150? Hell let's say 2/3s 200pcs made it here. While XM was selling their 300pc Hulk Order Sideshow sold 2000 multi-colored Hulks, Has almost Sold out of the Red Hulk regular, that's another 1000pcs and has sold who knows how many G. Hulks. Many of which sold to people who also bought XM pieces. Hell they've sold out of EX they've issued in the last 20 years at 1/4 scale.

The whole point of this isn't XM vs. Sideshow, the point is that the argument that XM is doing anything to Hurt Sideshow yet is ridiculous. Sideshow took 20 years to build their brand, the Regs are sold in Comic Shops World Wide and the EXs are sold direct to a huge number of places. Sideshow has Seen other companies come (PCS, Syco Collectibles, Kotobukiya, Gentle Giant, XM, Prime 1) and they aren't flinching yet. So until XM puts out it's first 999pc item and it sells out and then they do that 10 more times, and people actually stop buying Sideshow all together (Which is going to be mighty difficult considering, even though others might like this, the quaility Sideshow gives for it's price), this XM is hurting Sideshow, just isn't happening.

I'm not really concerned with SSC's market share or profits Josh. That's SSC's business. I'm a consumer. I look at what's out there and buy what I want. As a customer, I'm not really happy with SSC's Marvel merch. Choice of characters, uninspired poses, hollow casts, and sloppy paint apps are my biggest issues with their Marvel line. The fact that there are peeps willing to scramble to try and secure orders (at double the price of a PF) means something. The fact that a Sideshow dominated board is getting showered with XM love, means something. The fact that XM is releasing great fully sculpted 1/4 pieces with solid casts and spectacular paint apps means something. It means something to me at least. I wasn't the biggest XM fan when I saw there initial offerings. However, I'm blown away by most of what I've seen from them lately. I'm excited to see what else XM has in store for us. Especially now that Sosa has jumped on as their AD.

I think that's where my major sticking point is with SSC's Marvel offerings. Their art direction isn't up to par with their Marvel license. It hasn't been for years IMHO. It becomes more evident when you see the effort SSC is pouring into their CotD and DC merch. With Marvel, it's just not there. I don't know why that is. All I do know is that XM as a whole keeps impressing the hell out of me lately and I'm actually excited and looking forward to seeing more from them. With SSC it feels like more questionable character choices and artistic direction, hit or miss sculpts, and worrying about overall QC.

I just feel like XM is giving me more of what I like in a Marvel statue line right now. A dedicated fully sculpted 1/4 line with great poses, high QC, solid casts, impeccable paint apps, and great choices in characters. I don't know how that affects SSC or their bottom line. But as a collector, I gotta say XM is just killing it for me right now personally. In the end, I'm happy that there's competion in the 1/4 Marvel game. Now I don't have to wait or rely on SSC only to add great looking Marvel statues to my collection. That's a great thing for me personally considering how I feel about SSC and the way their handling their Marvel line the last few years.

What's to talk about?:lol Josh, you make good points. I think Tavegg also makes good points. Bottom line though is that SSC has clearly slipped in a lot of phases of their process. Don't get me wrong, they are still the King of the collecting world and I will continue to support them. That being said, I am thrilled another legit contender has entered the ring. Josh, you can't tell me that XM isn't good for us collectors. If they do start threatening SSC's profit margins, we are in an awesome spot!

I would like a Famke Jean Grey.

Honestly would look amazing, probably cause of too much Hemlock Groves.

On a different note, I probably would buy a Hugh Jackman 1/4 DoFP PF. Dude was hella ripped. Wish Singer had gone with the mask, wonder how that would've gone.

Famke Dark Phoenix is definitely a NO GO!

What's to talk about?:lol Josh, you make good points. I think Tavegg also makes good points. Bottom line though is that SSC has clearly slipped in a lot of phases of their process. Don't get me wrong, they are still the King of the collecting world and I will continue to support them. That being said, I am thrilled another legit contender has entered the ring. Josh, you can't tell me that XM isn't good for us collectors. If they do start threatening SSC's profit margins, we are in an awesome spot!

I'd be more apt to Support that if they actually put out a product with a reasonable price tag on it. The Second XM drops about $100USD - $150USD off their price tag in line with the current Market Norm, i.e. Prices that companies like Sideshow, PCS, Syco, DC Collectibles(when they were doing 1/4), and even ARH on most of their regular 1/4 releases hover around, then they'd be a major threat. That's when collectors, as a whole can make an easy choice because price isn't holding them back. And I'm going to say this with ease. If I have a choice between picking up 1 XM Thanos that with shipping is going to cost me between $800 and $1000 or Picking Sideshows up Gladiator Hulk and Possibly Another PF like Dr. Doom for about the same price, guess who is getting my money? Don't get me wrong, there's other factors, like Sculpt, because to be honest XM has only made me go "Wow" once so far. But price is a huge issue.

SSC really makes the majority of its money from outside of the US? I never would have thought that. Hmmm, learn something every day.

I'd be more apt to Support that if they actually put out a product with a reasonable price tag on it. The Second XM drops about $100USD - $150USD off their price tag in line with the current Market Norm, i.e. Prices that companies like Sideshow, PCS, Syco, DC Collectibles(when they were doing 1/4), and even ARH on most of their regular 1/4 releases hover around, then they'd be a major threat. That's when collectors, as a whole can make an easy choice because price isn't holding them back. And I'm going to say this with ease. If I have a choice between picking up 1 XM Thanos that with shipping is going to cost me between $800 and $1000 or Picking Sideshows up Gladiator Hulk and Possibly Another PF like Dr. Doom for about the same price, guess who is getting my money? Don't get me wrong, there's other factors, like Sculpt, because to be honest XM has only made me go "Wow" once so far. But price is a huge issue.

Retail prices for XM merch isn't as out of line with SSC's as you might think Josh. For example, XM Mags cost me $810 SGD. That's just a tad less than $650 USD. Too much for a 1/4 scale Mags? SSC's will probably be about $400 right? Well, let's dig a little deeper. SSC's Mags PF will almost certainly be hollow. The base will probably be bland, and the QC...who the hell knows with SSC? Now, let's take a look at the XM Mags. He's a 1/4 solidly cast piece. This includes the base and figure. About that base...I'd wager a fair bet that it'll end up being just as heavy and probably contain as much resin (if not more) than most SSC PFs alone. When a base weighs as much as the Rhino PF, Hulk Maquette, or Apocalypse PF, that can't simply be dismissed. Not to mention, the Apoc PF and Hulk MAQ will run you well over $600 each alone. The bigger PF and MAQs don't go for $400. They go for $600. They also contain no where near the switch out parts XM usually provides and are almost always hollow. I consider the XM Mags (as a whole) to be every bit as large as the bigger SSC pieces. Is less than $50 really much of a difference when you compare those pieces? If SSC released this exact same Mags statue (even if it's hollow), do you really think they'd be charging $400 for it? I don't.

Shipping costs are what kills it for most of us here in the US when it comes to obtaining XM merch. Is that really any different than international buyers buying SSC merch direct. By the time shipping and taxes are added to the retail price...is there really much of a difference between SSC and XM? We have it real good being US buyers. Internationals have been struggling with the cost of buying SSC products direct for years. Now, XM fans here in the States are starting to understand what it's really like for international customers. In the end, each of us has to weigh the pros and cons of any statue we purchase and make the choice that sits best with us. Having the XM Mags and Thanos in my collection would sit very well with me. For me personally, I think they are special pieces and I honestly don't see SSC topping them given their track record with the Marvel license of late. Again, this is all based off the way I see things. However, we all have to make the choice that works best for each of us.

Retail prices for XM merch isn't as out of line with SSC's as you might think Josh. For example, XM Mags cost me $810 SGD. That's just a tad less than $650 USD. Too much for a 1/4 scale Mags? SSC's will probably be about $400 right? Well, let's dig a little deeper. SSC's Mags PF will almost certainly be hollow. The base will probably be bland, and the QC...who the hell knows with SSC? Now, let's take a look at the XM Mags. He's a 1/4 solidly cast piece. This includes the base and figure. About that base...I'd wager a fair bet that it'll end up being just as heavy and probably contain as much resin (if not more) than most SSC PFs alone. When a base weighs as much as the Rhino PF, Hulk Maquette, or Apocalypse PF, that can't simply be dismissed. Not to mention, the Apoc PF and Hulk MAQ will run you well over $600 each alone. The bigger PF and MAQs don't go for $400. They go for $600. They also contain no where near the switch out parts XM usually provides and are almost always hollow. I consider the XM Mags (as a whole) to be every bit as large as the bigger SSC pieces. Is less than $50 really much of a difference when you compare those pieces? If SSC released this exact same Mags statue (even if it's hollow), do you really think they'd be charging $400 for it? I don't.

Shipping costs are what kills it for most of us here in the US when it comes to obtaining XM merch. Is that really any different than international buyers buying SSC merch direct. By the time shipping and taxes are added to the retail price...is there really much of a difference between SSC and XM? We have it real good being US buyers. Internationals have been struggling with the cost of buying SSC products direct for years. Now, XM fans here in the States are starting to understand what it's really like for international customers. In the end, each of us has to weigh the pros and cons of any statue we purchase and make the choice that sits best with us. Having the XM Mags and Thanos in my collection would sit very well with me. For me personally, I think they are special pieces and I honestly don't see SSC topping them given their track record with the Marvel license of late. Again, this is all based off the way I see things. However, we all have to make the choice that works best for each of us.

810SGD with or Without Shipping?

810SGD with or Without Shipping?
Without. Shipping will be extra and not cheap. However, you missed my point. Shipping charges are expensive because we are international customers. You can't ask XM to make statues that cost less just because shipping is expensive. XM's retail prices are reasonable considering what you are getting. However, a person living in Australia and buying a MASSIVE statue from SSC is also going to pay through the nose for shipping. It's the price international buyers have to pay. We've been lucky because we live in the states. You better believe Sideshow won't reduce the price of their merch because shipping and taxes are so expensive for their international customers. Why should XM be asked to do it?

Look Josh, I can totally understand if the overall cost to purchase an XM statue is too much for you. I get that. However, XM's retail prices are reasonable when you understand that you are getting a solid statue with spectacular paint apps and great QC. Shipping is brutal for peeps that live on this side of the pond. That's why I'm cherry picking only the XM pieces of characters I love and completely blow me away. Bro, if I lived in Singapore, SSC would be hard pressed to earn my business. Hollow statues, uninspired poses, and poor QC would not appeal to me at premium international prices.

Last edited:
Without. Shipping will be extra and not cheap. However, you missed my point. Shipping charges are expensive because we are international customers. You can't ask XM to make statues that cost less just because shipping is expensive. XM's retail prices are reasonable considering what you are getting. However, a person living in Australia and buying a MASSIVE statue from SSC is also going to pay through the nose for shipping. It's the price international buyers have to pay. We've been lucky because we live in the states. You better believe Sideshow won't reduce the price of their merch because shipping and taxes are so expensive for their international customers. Why should XM be asked to do it?

Look Josh, I can totally understand if the overall cost to purchase an XM statue is too much for you. I get that. However, XM's retail prices are reasonable when you understand that you are getting a solid statue with spectacular paint apps and great QC. Shipping is brutal for peeps that live on this side of the pond. That's why I'm cherry picking only the XM pieces that of characters I love and completely blow me away. Bro, if I lived in Singapore, SSC would be hard pressed to earn my business. Hollow statues, uninspired poses, and poor QC would not appeal to me at premium international prices.

That's good and well, and your perspective. I can tell you, that Black Widow, Cap, Hawkeye and Ironman all have fairly simple bases, and are all priced about the same. So you're looking at $650 pre-shipped cost. And as a perspective buyer, if you don't think shipping and handling costs and taxes don't play into what they buy and how expensive the initial cost is for our fellow collectors across the pond you're missing the point.

The point is this, is Mags nice and large? yep, is he worth more than $400, probably, $650 plus an additional $150 shipping and taxes....uh...well not to me. Is Cap(SGD799.90 Retail), Black Widow(SGD799.90 Retail), Hawkeye and Ironman(SGD799.90 Retail)? HELL NO. The Hulk is about the only one $650 covers, ask Gladiator Hulk owners, they paid about $650 Shipped in the US, across the Pond they probably paid about what we would pay for an XM Hulk. Now ask them if Sideshow decided to start charging $650 for every single release, how many still buy? And Why would they? $650 for Doom? For allied Cap? for The Red Skull as cool as he is? Nope, not happening. XM is asking me to buy all their releases at about the same price and then we're going to add High shipping costs onto it. Sorry, that's too much.

At least Sideshow and most other Companies add Size and Materials into the figuring of their costs when they put out a release. We might complain at the expense but from what I'm seeing of XM I'm starting to feel grateful for paying under $400 a pop.

That's good and well, and your perspective. I can tell you, that Black Widow, Cap, Hawkeye and Ironman all have fairly simple bases, and are all priced about the same. So you're looking at $650 pre-shipped cost. And as a perspective buyer, if you don't think shipping and handling costs and taxes don't play into what they buy and how expensive the initial cost is for our fellow collectors across the pond you're missing the point.

The point is this, is Mags nice and large? yep, is he worth more than $400, probably, $650 plus an additional $150 shipping and taxes....uh...well not to me. Is Cap(SGD799.90 Retail), Black Widow(SGD799.90 Retail), Hawkeye and Ironman(SGD799.90 Retail)? HELL NO. The Hulk is about the only one $650 covers, ask Gladiator Hulk owners, they paid about $650 Shipped in the US, across the Pond they probably paid about what we would pay for an XM Hulk. Now ask them if Sideshow decided to start charging $650 for every single release, how many still buy? And Why would they? $650 for Doom? For allied Cap? for The Red Skull as cool as he is? Nope, not happening. XM is asking me to buy all their releases at about the same price and then we're going to add High shipping costs onto it. Sorry, that's too much.

At least Sideshow and most other Companies add Size and Materials into the figuring of their costs when they put out a release. We might complain at the expense but from what I'm seeing of XM I'm starting to feel grateful for paying under $400 a pop.

Again, that's completely understandable. However, if SSC came out with a fully sculpted premium collectible line, I'd be willing to pay $600 for the characters I really want for my collection. If the SSC offered the EXACT same Mags statue XM is giving us, I'd be all over it. I certainly wouldn't buy every release but I would pick up the ones that really blow me away. Don't get me wrong Josh, I have nothing against $400 statues. I prefer them to be honest. However, every once in awhile, I don't have a problem dropping some $$$ on something that really grabs me. The XM Mags and Thanos blow me away and I'm willing to drop the cash to have them in my collection. SSC does provide a cheaper alternative for domestic buyers. I do understand that. I just wish I liked more of their Marvel merch. It'd save me some money.

So what kind of Black queen would you guys want? I was looking at the comi and the ha I doesn't do it for me. So I wonder what head sculpt you'd like seeing as jean and emma are hit and more than likely miss?

So what kind of Black queen would you guys want? I was looking at the comi and the ha I doesn't do it for me. So I wonder what head sculpt you'd like seeing as jean and emma are hit and more than likely miss?

I appreciate your effort. You're like Denzel Washington in "Unstoppable". Haha (Anyone get the reference?)

You know someone mentioned this on Facebook and it made me feel sympathetic towards how SS is doing things. Back in the day SS statues used to sell out in like minutes. It was a mad scramble to acquire your favorite comic character once released. So after all the moaning and complaining about there not being enough Exclusives what did SS do? They increased the ES. People complained about shipping cost? SS started making hollow casts. It's just a creation of our own complaints. The lack of QC undoubtedly can be attributed to the sky high ES to some extent.

That being said I'd love to see SS come out with a premium line of collectibles. Smaller ES. Solid resin cast. Fully sculpted. All the bells and whistles. Make these a much lower ES. Make sure the quality and paint apps are done to perfection. Add all types of extra switch out options and portraits. Increase the price to what SS has too in order to justify the making the line.

I know it's far fetched. Probably never happen but I think it would be a very smart move by SS to gain a portion of that market share back. Also allows collectors to acquire statues at an extremely reasonable price and the guys who are comfortable splurging some extra dough to have a high end collectible would also have that option. Just a thought

I figure the LSF was this so called Premium Line. But seeing the color on the Mark VII LSF, I don't think SS is even putting effort in their qc. Sad

SSC really makes the majority of its money from outside of the US? I never would have thought that. Hmmm, learn something every day.

Without. Shipping will be extra and not cheap. However, you missed my point. Shipping charges are expensive because we are international customers. You can't ask XM to make statues that cost less just because shipping is expensive. XM's retail prices are reasonable considering what you are getting. However, a person living in Australia and buying a MASSIVE statue from SSC is also going to pay through the nose for shipping. It's the price international buyers have to pay. We've been lucky because we live in the states.

Look Josh, I can totally understand if the overall cost to purchase an XM statue is too much for you. I get that. However, XM's retail prices are reasonable when you understand that you are getting a solid statue with spectacular paint apps and great QC. Shipping is brutal for peeps that live on this side of the pond. That's why I'm cherry picking only the XM pieces of characters I love and completely blow me away. Bro, if I lived in Singapore, SSC would be hard pressed to earn my business. Hollow statues, uninspired poses, and poor QC would not appeal to me at premium international prices.

The market for statue is not just US anymore. It's global, and there are many collectors overseas that are not active on these forum, but they collect as much as anyone of us here do =). XM saw the market opportunity, the amount it cost to buy a SS Exc to Asia area is basically the same as XM. For the 800 people that bought Magneto, I assume thats 800 less Magneto sold if SS ever made one. Maybe SS dont feel the sting now, but surely they notice. As a consumer, I love purchasing SS stuff, but if my $ 2K Mark VII LSF, their Premium line, arrive with just blue arc reactor sticker and paint that is dull... I am one dissapointed customer, and seeing what the SDCC had to offer, it didn't wow me like 2012, 2013.

Re: Jean Grey - Jim Lee Era

All im gonna say is there is no right or wrong answer. I used to get what I liked from ss because I didnt have a choice. Now I have a choice and can spend my money on what I love. I have already cancelled about 4k in orders with ss and delayed ordering items like emma and the sentinel because I love what xm is doing. One factor not even mentioned is the feedback. For years I have despised certain ss poses on the male statues and wondered where they got that from. Now im working on a sketch for blackbolt and checking daily for new wip pics. XM is getting the fans involved and that is what's gonna make them real popular over time.

Be I called denzel is uplifting alone :lol

And no I havent. Any good?

Yeah, it was decent. All about denzel trying to stop an out of control speeding train before it goes off track. (See it now?) haha
Bazinga!.gif

Back