Premium Format Article: Re: Jean Grey - Jim Lee Era

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Jean Grey - Jim Lee Era

I happen to like the Power Eyes but the color would have to be right, like Meg Fosters Blue eyes or a Jade Green but other that I can take it or leave it

I agree. I like power eyes but they should have some color like gambit. White worked for storm but for everyone else it looks like something out of a horror movie possession or eyes rolled back and all

IGO from SS said they went back and forth with Marvel a lot and had to make several changes before Marvel would approve it.... I wouldn't be surprised if SS original design was more like the artwork and Marvel overrode them and change her to what we see know. As easy as it is to blame SS, I think Marvel's meddling is to blame on this one..

Speculation... it may have gotten rejected for looking worse for all we know.

The ponytail hair is so friggin 90s. The regular is growing on me, probably in part because the EX head is such a letdown. But I actually think it's going to look quite cool on display. The colors are great. The big hair flowing all over the place is going to make displaying with other pieces a challenge.

Digging the Comparison the Mark Newman vs Tim Miller and Tony Cipriano

I was hoping this would be an easy day one PO, but I'm on the fence. Based on the pics, I like the older Bowen Jean Grey more(even though it's much smaller). I guess I need to see some more pics. I'll be at SDCC, so hopefully they will have it displayed there.

I like the flight of the Bowen piece, but that full body shot with the reg head is great imo.

I know it's a lot to ask these days for the eyes to be straight and non-googley but after spending so much time and money on this series only to defend its short-commings... couldn't they have at least included one portrait with a full set of eyes.. so it doesn't look so demonic.

Also wish the nasal septum was a bit thinner so it wouldn't look so mannish. Wow... after all the anticipation and backlash the customer gets for expressing legitimate concerns.. reward points spent. oh well.

art direction sucked on this. should've consulted with someone fluent in comic book lingo / the jim lee era.

I would like to have her in my collection, but there is too much wrong with this. It reminds me of the Emma Frost PF fiasco.

Wow. I don't know that I'd go so far as to compare her to the Emma PF. However, I think the prevailing opinion is pretty spot on. EX head does nothing for me but the REG head looks pretty good. They should have added pupils to it. I think the no pupil look should have been saved for a Phoenix/Dark Phoenix statue. While I think this piece could have been better, by no means would I say she looks as bad as the Emma PF. I think the REG head looks good enough that it saves this PF.

I have to admit though, the last 2 marvel POs (modern Thor and this piece) have very lackluster EXs. I'm not POing this piece but if I was, I'd certainly pass on the EX and try to pick up the REG at a discount. I'm hoping future pieces have better EX features.

Digging the Comparison the Mark Newman vs Tim Miller and Tony Cipriano

IMO, Newman wins this battle. That BD piece would have made an excellent PF. However, I really think the REG version of the PF looks pretty decent.

IMO, Newman wins this battle. That BD piece would have made an excellent PF. However, I really think the REG version of the PF looks pretty decent.

Not real sure I want to spend that kind of $$$ on "decent" :thud:

Marvel pieces for Sideshow have become background noise in a concert of DC and Court of the Dead.

Every once in a while you get a nice looking piece like Hulk Gladiator, but overall there is no rhyme or reason in character selection or completing these teams they have going on.

People love Jean Grey and the anticipation was high for this one. Sideshow showed up with something so underwhelming that whoever is collecting this line has certainly considered dumping the rest. Gambit PF is the clear keeper here but the others could all have been done better. That's a problem and Sideshow is just playing to people's OCD to stick and collect the set.

Marvel pieces for Sideshow have become background noise in a concert of DC and Court of the Dead.

Every once in a while you get a nice looking piece like Hulk Gladiator, but overall there is no rhyme or reason in character selection or completing these teams they have going on.

People love Jean Grey and the anticipation was high for this one. Sideshow showed up with something so underwhelming that whoever is collecting this line has certainly considered dumping the rest. Gambit PF is the clear keeper here but the others could all have been done better. That's a problem and Sideshow is just playing to people's OCD to stick and collect the set.

Bro, you have done a GREAT job summing up how I feel about SSC's Marvel merch. Inconsistent, underwhelming, and forgotten at times. For the life of me I can't figure out what SSC is doing. I passed on the X-MEN PFs because I'm more a fan of the Byrne era X-MEN and I hate the cloth that was used on some of the Lee PFs (Wolvie and Colossus). The peeps collecting the Lee line need a Lee Storm. What do they get? A Byrne era Storm. Why? Will they make more pieces from the Byrne era or is that the Storm that will have to do for the Lee line? I collected the X-MEN COMs but SSC just abandoned them. It's been years since the last release so I just said F it and sold off pieces in the line. What good is the line without Emma, Wolvie, or Cyke? I'm a HUGE X-MEN fan but I'll have very few X-MEN pieces by SSC in my collection.

I agree 100% that SSC is just KILLING it with their DC license. Even the few pieces that I've passed on look great. I just can't find space for every piece I like so I have to stick with the characters I must have. Each DC piece looks great in its own way and a lot of thought has been put into that license. It shows with each release I've seen so far. With the Marvel license...not as much. As a big time Marvel fan, that's bothersome.

I don't know if I agree. I think G. Hulk, The Trio of Hulk PF's, The WWII Cap, The Red Skull, The Modern Thor, The Classic Punisher etc. etc. have been great, not all buys but great looking. It seems to me when you look at all the PFs it's the X-men line both now and mostly in the past that have suffered the most. I mean outside of Gambit, Storm, Apocalypse and maybe Colossus there always seems to be a design issue the fans in majority don't like.

Ex head looks great! Price is not bad, but without eyeballs I must think about it.

I don't know if I agree. I think G. Hulk, The Trio of Hulk PF's, The WWII Cap, The Red Skull, The Modern Thor, The Classic Punisher etc. etc. have been great, not all buys but great looking. It seems to me when you look at all the PFs it's the X-men line both now and mostly in the past that have suffered the most. I mean outside of Gambit, Storm, Apocalypse and maybe Colossus there always seems to be a design issue the fans in majority don't like.

Oh, you don't have to exclude Colossus from that discussion, JT. :lol

I will say that Cyclops doesn't get enough credit, when you look past his EX portrait.

Back