Harmy's Star Wars Despecialized Edition Remastered MKV2.5 Now Available

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I just PM jimjimmy? I dunno what all the versions are or how much. I just want to own the best version of the original Star Wars '77 that is possible for Blu ray, hi-def. If I dig that, then Empire is next.

So I just PM jimjimmy? I dunno what all the versions are or how much. I just want to own the best version of the original Star Wars '77 that is possible for Blu ray, hi-def. If I dig that, then Empire is next.

JJJ will hook you up. Currently SW is at V2.5, ESB is V2.0 and ROTJ is V1.0 although Harmy will next be updating Jedi to V2.0. I can say from my own personal experience V1.0 of Jedi is perfectly fine for the casual viewer.

Going to be interesting to see how Disney's official releases compare to Harmy's. Unlike prop replica stuff, film is one area where I feel like official sources, with the budgets and teams they have to work with, can meet or exceed what fans can do. That is, assuming Disney gets the best they have to do them justice and doesn't try to "fix" anything like the past releases did. Given how their stable of aging animated films have looked in BR releases I'm expecting nothing less than definitive releases, but we'll see.

Going to be interesting to see how Disney's official releases compare to Harmy's. Unlike prop replica stuff, film is one area where I feel like official sources, with the budgets and teams they have to work with, can meet or exceed what fans can do. That is, assuming Disney gets the best they have to do them justice and doesn't try to "fix" anything like the past releases did. Given how their stable of aging animated films have looked in BR releases I'm expecting nothing less than definitive releases, but we'll see.
Not sure you have seen all the Disney releases or have you? Some are downright horrible and Dnr'd to death.

These guys have found the best of everything. Many things previously thought lost forever. They have software that impresses even the best out there.

They are also willing to cap resolution ever they know it needs to be do to the limitations of the negative.

While Disney has the potential to do something big I will believe it when I see it.

Until then all the hard work put into it by the team makes me more than happy as I watch it on a 120" screen.

Oh and trust me some of the nuances on the new DTS soundtrack won't be heard on cheaper box sound systems. This bad boy was made for the eficionado of the genre.

I have hated everything done to destroy the trilogy that defines my life in many ways. And for the first time I'm happy with what I have to watch and relive the memories as they were originally drawn in my minds eye.

If Disney can't do that it doesn't matter what they put out.

But that's just me.

What Disney will put out vs. what Disney could put out will be two very different things IMO.

I believe Disney has the ability to do something amazing, but with SW being like a license to print money, I believe they will cut some corners.

They will market it as the best available out there and for many it will be but the hardcore OT fans will know better.

All the releases? Of course not. Betting no one here has, not that it's relevant. I'm not sure what examples you refer to, but everything I've seen has been very, very good. The company's releases are consistently ranked among the best blu-rays available as far as video quality goes. Not just "these are okay," but also some reference quality transfers. New stuff as well as restorations of old stuff. Are some worse than that? I'm sure. Would a brand like Star Wars be given half-assed treatment? I don't know. That's what I'm interested to see, as I said.

At the very least, they should be able to make the official releases without using seven different video sources like Harmy's did. Whether that will make for a consistently faithful reproduction is what we'll have to see when they arrive.

..also, none of what I'm saying is in any way to degrade the accomplishment of what the Harmy team have done. To have beaten Lucasfilm or Disney to the punch is no small feat, and I suggest anyone curious look into how these were made. Fascinating stuff :)

I have hated everything done to destroy the trilogy that defines my life in many ways. And for the first time I'm happy with what I have to watch and relive the memories as they were originally drawn in my minds eye.

If Disney can't do that it doesn't matter what they put out.

Yes, yes, and yes. I've owned three sets of the SW OT in my life that I've been happy with. The 1990 VHS box set, the 1995 THX laserdiscs, and now this set from Harmy that you have graciously helped distribute. No matter how TV's evolve from here on out (4K, 8K, 32K, whatever) I feel like these Harmy discs will allow SW to exist satisfactorily for the remainder of my movie watching years. Anything else that happens to be as good or better from here on out will simply be gravy.

Hmmm, Lucas appeared to be aware of Harmy's efforts but turned a blind eye toward them. I hope this coverage doesn't prompt Disney to issue a C&D to Harmy in order to save face. His ROTJ 1.0 is definitely serviceable but I'd still love to see a full blown 2.0.

Glad to see it supported, but this is the kind of attention Harmy does not want if I were to guess.

Yeah, I have a feeling he does not want his work to be widely known. I'm honestly surprised guys like he and Adywan weren't issued C&D orders long before now, but apparently Lucas and/or LFL didn't mind what they're doing. Disney is well known for being far more protective of their intellectual properties so I would not be a bit surprised if they go after him....and that would REALLY suck. :(

Whatever happened to Adywan's ESB? Seems like forever since I have heard any news about that.

Last I remember he had made a 1:1 Han in carbonite and was resculpting it so that it Carbo-Han is wearing the correct shirt in shots. Just insane attention to detail and such AMBITION! Love that guys work.

Been seeing this restoration work pop-up on a lot on Facebook lately; i.e. /Film, Geeks are Sexy, etc. Worried that this may be getting too much pub. Been holding off for a long time, but do I need to take the plunge now and secure a copy before Disney starts rolling out the C&D hammer? Any advice or direction is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Back