Harmy's Star Wars Despecialized Edition Remastered MKV2.5 Now Available

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been seeing this restoration work pop-up on a lot on Facebook lately; i.e. /Film, Geeks are Sexy, etc. Worried that this may be getting too much pub. Been holding off for a long time, but do I need to take the plunge now and secure a copy before Disney starts rolling out the C&D hammer? Any advice or direction is greatly appreciated, thanks.

PM sent

Still being worked on. He had a hard drive failure that, I believe, slowed him down, but he's still working.

It's gotten a bit ridiculous to be honest. He's been working on ESB since 2008. That's 6 years! He only took about 2 or 3 years to do ANH: Revisited and the first film needed a lot more help than ESB so I really can't understand why it's been such a never-ending process to complete ESB. :(

It's gotten a bit ridiculous to be honest. He's been working on ESB since 2008. That's 6 years! He only took about 2 or 3 years to do ANH: Revisited and the first film needed a lot more help than ESB so I really can't understand why it's been such a never-ending process to complete ESB. :(

I think he is getting a lot deeper into FX shots. Like I mentioned above, he has even created his own Carbo-Han with Han's correct shirt so that he can use it to work into the needed shots for ESB and ROTJ. Just an insane level of attention to detail and consistency is what is taking this one so long.

hanshirt-fix.jpg

Bombs away ! A whole slew of mail just hit street ! :panic:

I'm all caught up so if anyone is still needing help, let me know.

Also, can we remember to add to the first post the need for at least 50 useful posts on the board. If you have 0 posts amongst the freaks, we can't help you yet.

Sorry.

Bombs away ! A whole slew of mail just hit street ! :panic:

I'm all caught up so if anyone is still needing help, let me know.

Also, can we remember to add to the first post the need for at least 50 useful posts on the board. If you have 0 posts amongst the freaks, we can't help you yet.

Sorry.

I will post that right now.

I agree with what a lot of people said here about how the original trilogy might or will be handled by Disney. But again let's not be too closed minded here of what's to come. This is Disney we are talking about. They have access and resources to the best technology in the world. I love what the guys have done with these original edits and I went ahead and got my hands on them just as quick as the next guy. But if Disney does in fact take this on...I find it very hard to believe that we will get some crapy lazy effort. Disney does not fail and does not go cheap on anything they do. They have so much riding on this with their investment they spent to get it. I have to believe that if they put these discs out in its original form...we will get nothing short of stellar. I can even see them doing 3D releases at some point too. In Disney 's hands I believe anything is possible.

I was with ya until you said "3D"... :lol I think that ship has sailed, what with only TPM actually releasing in theaters and not blowing anyone away.

I've been thinking more about this though, and in the end, no matter what happens, we as the hardcore fans win. :)
Three possible outcomes I can see: Disney's discs are fantastic and become the definitive editions. Disney's come out and are ok but Harmy's are still better. Disney's come out and are really good in a number of ways but maybe not perfect, and with a new HD source to work with, the Harmy's crew or someone else makes the new definitive version.

I don't think we need to keep discussing hypothetical official discs on the Harmy thread, so I'll wrap by saying I'm gonna take a look at ANH this weekend to see just what these guys have managed to do. Excited.

If you aren't aware of what was done by Harmy to make just Star Wars... here is one of the videos he created to show you.

This is Disney we are talking about. They have access and resources to the best technology in the world. I love what the guys have done with these original edits and I went ahead and got my hands on them just as quick as the next guy. But if Disney does in fact take this on...I find it very hard to believe that we will get some crapy lazy effort. Disney does not fail and does not go cheap on anything they do. They have so much riding on this with their investment they spent to get it. I have to believe that if they put these discs out in its original form...we will get nothing short of stellar. I can even see them doing 3D releases at some point too. In Disney 's hands I believe anything is possible.

I disagree with some of this because Disney will only put real effort if they see it making money. Look at The Rocketeer Blu-ray. Bare bones release and Dave Stevens even noted that he was putting together a collector's edition of sorts when he was around. But Disney said no. Disney didn't even try with The Rocketeer Blu-ray. Also, TRON Legacy. They put enough effort into selling the sequel. But after it didn't perform as well as expected everything seemed to stop. Sideshow statues, Hot Toys figures, cartoon DVD or Blu-ray. Nope. So I'm wary when it comes to Disney releases.

I disagree with some of this because Disney will only put real effort if they see it making money. Look at The Rocketeer Blu-ray. Bare bones release and Dave Stevens even noted that he was putting together a collector's edition of sorts when he was around. But Disney said no. Disney didn't even try with The Rocketeer Blu-ray. Also, TRON Legacy. They put enough effort into selling the sequel. But after it didn't perform as well as expected everything seemed to stop. Sideshow statues, Hot Toys figures, cartoon DVD or Blu-ray. Nope. So I'm wary when it comes to Disney releases.

There seems to be confusion as to whether or not Disney can even release the OT. I believe Fox still owns them.

If you aren't aware of what was done by Harmy to make just Star Wars... here is one of the videos he created to show you.

I just watched this and I can't believe the amount of work they put into this. I guess the voice is altered in case someone goes after him...But this is work that really shouldn't have to be done. George Lucas could have easily restored old prints. I like the look in some cases of the Special Editions too. I just don't like the additions to tie into the prequels. That was the offensive thing. Fine they are his movies. But people grew up with the old ones as he calls them. No reason for us not to have perfect, official versions of those.

It's crazy what is possible with video these days. I had no idea they could synthesize so many different sources of different quality like that.

Speaking of crazy, I'm not sure I can get behind sculpting a new Han in Carbonite to correct the outfit -- isn't that exactly the kind of change that Lucas was doing? Some of these little inconsistencies and errors are part of what makes the movies fun.

It's crazy what is possible with video these days. I had no idea they could synthesize so many different sources of different quality like that.

Speaking of crazy, I'm not sure I can get behind sculpting a new Han in Carbonite to correct the outfit -- isn't that exactly the kind of change that Lucas was doing? Some of these little inconsistencies and errors are part of what makes the movies fun.

Some criticize these flaws, some find the character in them.

I am happy with the HARMY versions above all I have seen so far.

But I am open to some of the others. I mean after all it is the Wars !

I just watched this and I can't believe the amount of work they put into this. I guess the voice is altered in case someone goes after him...But this is work that really shouldn't have to be done. George Lucas could have easily restored old prints. I like the look in some cases of the Special Editions too. I just don't like the additions to tie into the prequels. That was the offensive thing. Fine they are his movies. But people grew up with the old ones as he calls them. No reason for us not to have perfect, official versions of those.

Well about the voice... He is Czeck so I know his English is not good and he was reading from a script so I am sure it was slightly awkward for him.

Back