Display cases info

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone else's PAX shelves bowing? It's annoying me.

would like to see pics of the bowing? I am going to be setting up a new mancave shortly and was seriously considering both the PAX and Besta shelves. I liked the idea that you could fit multiple PFs on a PAX.

would like to see pics of the bowing? I am going to be setting up a new mancave shortly and was seriously considering both the PAX and Besta shelves. I liked the idea that you could fit multiple PFs on a PAX.

I haven't got access to take pics right now, but it doesn't appear to be anything too serious. I could fix it by lifting with my fingers a bit, so it's not too great a bend. I'm currently in the process of changing rooms with them right now, so I will be trying the shelf brackets gagaliya linked along with new shelves to see if that changes anything. Also, I do not have the light strips installed. Whether those are thick enough metal to keep the wood straight, I don't know, but I would imagine it would make a difference.

You need to reinforce the bottom of a PAX shelf if you plan to put statues on one. A simply vertical cross beam would do (think "I" or "H" beam in construction - this would just be a "T")

You need to reinforce the bottom of a PAX shelf if you plan to put statues on one. A simply vertical cross beam would do (think "I" or "H" beam in construction - this would just be a "T")

maybe a dumb question, but can you buy that with/for the shelf or do you need to custom make one?

You'd have to make something yourself. Basically a piece of wood, plywood or particle board on end glued across the bottom of the shelf. If you wanted to spend a little more money you could use some aluminum L angle instead - just make sure the legs of the L are suitably tall (2" for example) - then you could screw that into the shelf from the bottom.

Mine are bowed a little. It erks me too. I've been thinking about how to brace the shelves and aluminum L angle sounds like a good idea. What a PITA it will be though.

Anyone else's PAX shelves bowing? It's annoying me.

I have the smaller pax (about 59" wide), and I don't have a problem with bowing. I have one shelf with Spidey, Venom, and Carnage coms on it. I added a few extra shelf brackets to each side, but haven't reinforced the actual shelf...no issues with that one.

The wider pax shelves are the same thickness, so the same load on those shelves might cause some bowing.

Mine are bowed a little. It erks me too. I've been thinking about how to brace the shelves and aluminum L angle sounds like a good idea. What a PITA it will be though.

Instead of an ugly angle on the bottom of the shelf (and reducing precious viewing space), why not just replace the shelves with plywood (cut and paint it to suit your unit)? Add some metal brackets on each side, and you should be good to go.

Unfortunately it's not the Ikea shelves that are the problem IMO. I would bet that any replacement shelves, other than something like oak, would bow eventually. The shelve's width with no support under the center seems to be the problem. I think putting some sort of bracing along the back edge of each shelf should solve the bowing issue. I would put bracing on the topside of the top shelf, and bottom side of the bottom shelf. This way it wouldn't even be seen.

I might cut this in half into 2 35" sections and use it for bracing... https://www.homedepot.com/p/100149366 It's $10 and black, seems like it would work. Comes in different colors too.

I have the 39 1/4"x 22 7/8" shelves for reference.

Last edited:
made a guide for my pax display a while back on sf, it was the best display cabinet i could find for 1/4 and larger statues after wasting god knows how much money buying all sorts other furnitures that could barely fit a few statues.

Pasted below, hopefully can help you. I am looking to get another as this already got filled to the max now.

------------------

The best display is ikea's PAX, NOTHING comes close in term of flexibility, price, & space. It's also the ONLY display under $2000 that has a real 22" shelf depth (vs 17" max for all the others). It let you display statues the way you want (ie the avenger team stack), and the only display that will fit the optimus prime statue. It also has dust resistant sliding doors like the highend curios as oppose to besta open doors. Lastly it comes with 93+" height option, which will allow 31"+ per shelf height, that will fit most if not all CM and lsf statues as well.

I am currently building one using custom non-glare 99% uv-resistent acrylic panels designed for museum display, will post some details/photo once done in a week or two.

Should have gone this route long time ago, instead of wasting thousands of dollars buying those giant grandma's curio with little depth that can barely fit anything but takes up sooo much space.

Finally got around to take some photos, see the finished PAX. A few notes:

1) In the comparison photo, see the pax DWARFS the $1300 Macy's curio(which is a huge piece already, i use it as a dedicated lotr display now), and this is the smaller PAX...

2) Note how with the extra shelf depth i am able to display the riders facing front or to stack the conan/barbarian/leonidas, all are giant pieces which would taken significantly more precious shelf width in a regular 15" depth shelf. And it's the only shelf that fits optimus perfectly.

3) See next post for a quick guide to build your own as I did the research already, hopefully someone can benefit from it.

pax1.jpg

pax3.jpg

----------------

How to build your PAX (see previous post for photos)

1) Select the correct PAX base (link: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S79894902/#/S19894900 ).

Use the drop down to select your width/height, you have 4 options: 59"x25"x79", 59"x25"x93", 78"x25"x79, 78"x25"x93". Do NOT select other options, as the internal shelf will be inappropriate, if you need even wider ones, buy 2x. And select your wood color.

2) Select the shelf (link: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30215122/ )

You need at least 3 pack (for 6 shelves), select the correct width/color. Dont use the glass shelves, they too risky.

3) Select the lighting(optional): (link: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50163848/ )

The best lighting for statue display are evenly distributed soft light in the 2000k to 5000k range, basically you shouldnt notice it's on. The WORST kind are those uneven glaring halogen spotlights used in most glass curios that destroy your statue aesthetic, they are great for glass plates & swaroski not giant polystone statues. Also LED is much preferred over the rest as it doesnt get hot and long lasting, having an oven above your statue for years is never a good thing.

That said, the ikea led strips linked are excellent, they are designed for PAX and fits across the entire shelf perfectly for even light distribution. Only downside is it's expensive at $35 per shelf. If you do decide to use the ikea led, you also need the wires that are not included, for 6x led strip, you need

-5x connector: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40119926/
-
1x powercord: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30121411/

4) Order your custom display panels. (link: https://www.professionalplastics.com/PLEXIGLASS-ACRYLICSHEET-EXTRUDED )

Wait until you receive your PAX, then take out 1 of its non-clear glass panel, measure the width/length/depth precisely. Then goto any one of the websites to order 6x clear acrylic panel of the exact same dimension (go with <0.062 tolerance which is the standard). I use professionalplastics.com, also checkout ebay or local stores. Dont get fancy, use standard clear acrylic or lexan.

Note: you can also use glass panels, however they are 2x as expensive due to shipping, weight twice as much, and less clear. The yellowing/scratch issue of acrylics are way overblown, i have kept acrylic fish tanks my whole life, never had any issues (and those have 300+ watts of simulated sunlight blasting at it 11 hrs a day).

5) Install your PAX!

Follow the instructions, make sure it's secured to the wall! Dont try to win the darwin award for getting crushed by your own display shelf, those things are very tall and ikea quality..

Here's a video that i found very helpful with installing the sliding doors. Link: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUut6I6zNqI[/ame]

6) POST YOUR PICTURES! :)

NOTE: total cost for my pax 59"x25"x93" is ~$800

very helpful..

Bowed shelf fix! I was at Home Depot today and bought these https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rubbermaid-47-1-2-in-Black-Twin-Track-Upright-FG4B8800BLA/100205296 I used a hacksaw to cut two of them to 37 3/4" long, then filed the edge smooth. I had plans to use these as bracing and to my surprise these fit perfectly over the front and back edge of the shelf. They are totally rigid and do not allow the shelf to bow at all. I took my CM Alien off the shelf, as well as the Komplement LED strip (just the LED not the mount), slipped on the metal pieces, reinstalled the LED and the Alien...and no more bow. It was very easy and cheap at $14 per shelf.

Last edited:
I've seen people that put two shelves stacked on top. I assumed that was a strength thing, does that work to stop the bowing?

Two shelves if attached together can help a little bit, but not as much as putting in a cross bar of some sort. That's because the shelf itself will add a lot of mass which adds to the forces causing the bow.

Just think of how iron buildings are made, or bridges. That's how you strengthen a span.

Ok I really need some help here. I am ordering a few Pax's of the 60" wide by 93" tall variety and was hoping anyone with a similar setup could tell me the measurements to use for the acrylic panels. I am doing the single large sheet on each side.

Ok I really need some help here. I am ordering a few Pax's of the 60" wide by 93" tall variety and was hoping anyone with a similar setup could tell me the measurements to use for the acrylic panels. I am doing the single large sheet on each side.

Best to get your doors and measure them yourself...this is IKEA after all, I doubt any two door frames will be EXACTLY the same.

Bowed shelf fix! I was at Home Depot today and bought these https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rubbermaid-47-1-2-in-Black-Twin-Track-Upright-FG4B8800BLA/100205296 I used a hacksaw to cut two of them to 37 3/4" long, then filed the edge smooth. I had plans to use these as bracing and to my surprise these fit perfectly over the front and back edge of the shelf. They are totally rigid and do not allow the shelf to bow at all. I took my CM Alien off the shelf, as well as the Komplement LED strip (just the LED not the mount), slipped on the metal pieces, reinstalled the LED and the Alien...and no more bow. It was very easy and cheap at $14 per shelf.

patriot, this is perfect thank you. Does that mean if i buy the 25" version below i don't even need to saw it and can just fit directly? not too keen on sawing this as I live in an apartment.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rubbermaid-25-in-Black-Twin-Track-Upright-FG4B8700BLA/100212779

patriot, this is perfect thank you. Does that mean if i buy the 25" version below i don't even need to saw it and can just fit directly? not too keen on sawing this as I live in an apartment.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rubbermaid-25-in-Black-Twin-Track-Upright-FG4B8700BLA/100212779

I was going to do that as well. You could use the 25" but it would not go across the entire shelf. I think it would give you the support, but would not look as clean. The sawing is a pain. I still have 4 more to cut before I'm finished. With these installed the shelf will be able to bow very slightly, but you cannot see it because the metal frames look totally flat. I worry that if you use the shorter ones they might dig in to the shelf and mess up the paint/finish.

Do you have a balcony? The sawing is a little noisy, but with a hand held hacksaw it only takes a couple minutes per piece to saw.

Back