SSC Batman 1/6 figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel like this stylized version works for me really well. I LOVE all different versions of Batman. Paul Pope, Frank Miller, Sam Keith, they all do kind of "ugly" and "Weird" Batman portraits, and I think this reminds me of that flow. That said, I totally see how that turns people off. Especially someone who might be in for just 1
"definitive" version. I'm sure a black and grey will come, and I'll buy that too. But I like this take a lot. Gritty face, simple costume, blue and grey always a bold choice. I'm really excited for this release.

Yeah, I was originally psyched for the Arkham figure, but its proportions are just so wonky. Also, although I like the face sculpt, something about the shape of the mask against it makes him look like he has a pudgy face.

Thing is though, I'm not in love with the SSC Batman either. The ultra-realistic head looks strange with the spandex comic-style costume. And the legs look too short to me...and the eyes are too small and placed too far apart.

Just made a quick edit to show what this figure would look like in black. Mostly for my own curiosity but I figured I post it here for anyone else who was interested.
View attachment 127631
He's a little hard to see due to the dark background.

Just like Ememyofmany, i was curious to see what this figure would look like with the BLACK costume pieces while maintaining the basic design from the classic comics.

It is my intention to CUSTOMIZE my Batman when it finally arrives, and I decided to pre-visualize in Photoshop to get an idea of what my final customized figure will look like:

finalCustomBatmanFigure_zps5774737b.jpg

I'd like to reconfigure the figure's body, because I am NOT crazy about the hulking proportions nor the overly narrow waist. I prefer a more slender, athletic build for The Batman. I'm thinking of using a nude Chris Reeve Superman body (from ebay) as a starting point.

I definitely plan to change the cape cowl, gloves, boots, and trunks into black because I think that is what Bob Kane and Bill finger intended when they created this character.

I plan to stitch together all-new tights in DULL spandex in a dark charcoal grey color (because I think the body suit color HT used for this figure is too light.).

I plan to alter the utility belt by simplifying the buckle, and either replacing the pouches with vials or making the existing pouches neater looking (not sure yet). I also think the utility belt should be positioned a bit higher up along the waist to reveal more of the trucks so that they don't look like small Speedos.

I want to scallop the new leathery BLACK cape to match the traditional classic scallop pattern of the comics. I prefer the long-eared cowl sculpt of this figure, but i'm not crazy about the way the ears "bow" a bit. So I will re-sculpt them into straighter ears.

Lastly, I will change the chest emblem into the golden oval version (my favorite).

Last edited:
The body, build, suit, tailoring, cape, belt, gloves and boots on this figure look fantastic. I watched the SDCC videos where they had the production sample for people to play with and I was just blown away by how good it looked in hand. Hot Toys has never made a Batman cape as good as this one. Makes ordering a no brainer.

I'm just not keen on the head sculpts, any of them. If this guy took his mask off he'd look like a creepy, sideshow freak (pun intended). He somehow has white eye balls (like if Keaton or Bale wore white contacts or something), his eyes are too far apart and that mouth is just downright strange. If he had a nose, it'd be way up high on his face. I know they were going for a "realistic" look but I think these portraits would have benefited with a more stream lines look. Sure, keep the square jaw but don't give him all those distinctive features. I'm also questioning the skin tone. Looks like a bat hombre.

As for the colors, I love black and grey and blue and grey and would get either. My only nitpick is if they're going to go with blue and grey, why not give this a yellow bat oval and rectangular utility belt Neal Adams 70s style? The bat and pouches utility belt always make me think of black and grey.
I'm not in love with the heads either, and would have preferred them go all out with the classic Bronze Age Bats look, but. . .overall I think it works. My major concerns, as with any SSC products at this point, are related to QC.

Thanks Astro13zombie!

Here's a side by side before and after comparison:

HOTTOYSBATMAN_zps3cf0ae28.jpg

Just to check....and make sure I'm not missing something...these are titled as hot toys but they are not hot toys...correct? This figure is a sideshow produced figure, not a hot toys produced(then sold by sideshow), as I understand it.

I do like this figure actually. It reminds me of a Gabrielle Dell'otto painting of batman I really like.

Just to check....and make sure I'm not missing something...these are titled as hot toys but they are not hot toys...correct? This figure is a sideshow produced figure, not a hot toys produced(then sold by sideshow), as I understand it.

I do like this figure actually. It reminds me of a Gabrielle Dell'otto painting of batman I really like.

Incorrect. Correct.

Those are nice paintings, which painting exactly are you referring to?

Darklord1967. Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time, a long time.

Thanks Astro13zombie!

Here's a side by side before and after comparison:

HOTTOYSBATMAN_zps5d5cdd31.jpg

That body Sideshow is using is just too short. I don't care if it more correctly mimics real human proportions, it's just too short. He either needs a new body or a smaller head.

Also, your photoshopped version really shows that Sideshow should have gone with the black version first. That costume looks awesome.

The chest symbols should be swapped. Blue gets yellow, black get black. Im diggin your version of the cape too, just little longer tho.

Still love the blue but the thought of custom black n grey is making me think of customizing a extra with the 2nd head. I'm sure sdeshow will do but when ? never know with these companys. I havent seen anything from medicom from comic con realy in 1/6 except thier superman that was announced ages ago...The medicom black n grey bats was ok looking but saw the suit rip or tear at arm pits on a review easy.

Incorrect. Correct.

Those are nice paintings, which painting exactly are you referring to?

Ok so which part is incorrect? I said the same thing both times. This is a SSC figure, not hot toys.

As for which one of the Dell'otto pieces...this one image.jpg

Ahhh thanks. Ya the question, more like a statement was a brain bender... They're not titled as Hot Toys. They're solely pitched as a SS product. Now who, if anyone, had help in production is left unsaid.

Back