Statue Weta: The Hobbit - Gandalf The Grey

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What you've got to bear in mind is these are two different sculptors working a decade apart. The fact is that both lines were under a 1/6 scale license. You just have to allow for the fact that it's two different sculptors and i doubt Steven Saunders was measuring the height of the original.

I know I'm about a year late to the party, but when Weta put the Gandalf piece on sale, I had to jump in. I'm glad I did, because this is the best rendition of Gandalf by far at this scale. The sculptors did an absolutely amazing job capturing the likeness. I didn't think so as much looking at it with the naked eye, but when I saw what the camera captured, I was amazed at the detail. To rephrase, it looks better in these pics than it does in person, but it still looks very good and is waaaaay better in likeness than the SS piece, even though the pose is better on the latter. The work that the sculptor did on the hair and beard is extremely detailed and very well done. I love that the hat is removable. The piece is very heavy for a statue of it's size, which I love. For the money, I am absolutely satisfied with it. Anyway, here are the pics.

Gandalf1.jpg~original

Gandalf2.jpg~original

Gandalf3.jpg~original

Last edited:
IMO this is one of the best 1/6 Middle Earth statues ever created

It is for me, too! :hi5: Together with the new Radagast statue, which is just as perfect and even more detailed, these two Wizards are without question my favorite 1/6 statues, maybe even collectibles altogether.

Fantastic photos, ComputerFly! :clap

Thanks Petrolos. Your right, the Radagast was a HUGE surprise. The did a great job on that one. I'll shoot some pics of that one as well.

Looking at this one again...This Weta piece is my favorite Gandalf the Grey Statue period...yes better than SSW, SSM and even SSPF

I agree...said that when I got mine in 10/12 proof that the smaller scaled 1/6 pieces can be just as good or better than 1/5 and up

I jumped on the sale as well, and used 156 in Weta dollars to bring my cost way down. One question, does everyone have two little nicks on the front of the hat? I assume it is supposed to be that way.

Yeah, this is a great statue and a fantastic deal and my impulsive side wants to order it but I really don't need another Gandalf, the PF is more than enough for me.

I can't actually tell from the pics ...

Is his clothes made of material, or sculpted?

Shout out to The Josh for sharing how awesome this statue is, I got this from think geek instead of Weta cave when I visited earlier in the month. And lucky enough I managed to snag a thorin oakenshield Ex no.21.

:clap

Proof the Hobbit is true 1/6 and Older SSW LOTR was 1/6.5 to 1/7 scale. The SSW Gandalf is even pointing at you guys say "don't call me shorty"

Looks more as though the new Gandalf is extending himself to his full height while the old SSW one is slightly hunched over... just my two cents worth.

Back