The Amazing Spider Man 2 (2014)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just saw it. Mostly enjoyed it, a couple of points.

The Good:

1. Foxx was really good. I was surprised at how effective a villain Electro was on screen. Foxx managed to give him more menace than I thought there was going to be.

2. FX are great, and the Spidey web-swinging and the fight scenes are awesome. Just like the comic book came to life.

3. Garfield and Stone are fantastic together.

The Bad:

1. Suffered from a little of the problems SM3 did, namely they've tried to squeeze too much into one film, and it just seems too busy. This series as it stands now could easily have been a trilogy, and have given the characters a little room to breathe. The last 20-30 min of this film expanded out to the first hour of the next movie IMO would have been better.

2. Everything always seem to come back full circle, namely everything starts and ends with Oscorp. Peter getting bitten by an Oscorp spider? Check. Girlfriend works at Oscorp? Check. Curt Connors at Oscorp? Check. Cure for something is at Oscorp? People turning into Lizards at Oscorp? Check. Ugh.

I actually think the OSCORP angle makes sense because Spiderman is isolated from other Marvel Heroes in this universe and so no other mutants or superhumans exist. So for the few that do to all be coming from the same evil corporation(from the same strain of research) actually makes the most sense imo. I do hope that expands to other motivated criminals eventually though, Kraven can come along without the need for any mutations or OSCORP tech, you have BJ Novak set up as Smythe with potential for Spider Slayers, JJJ etc. For mutations in humans like Lizard or a future possible mutated Rhino however, OSCORP works.

2. Everything always seem to come back full circle, namely everything starts and ends with Oscorp. Peter getting bitten by an Oscorp spider? Check. Girlfriend works at Oscorp? Check. Curt Connors at Oscorp? Check. Cure for something is at Oscorp? People turning into Lizards at Oscorp? Check. Ugh.

Totally understand your gripe with it but this is basically borrowed from Marvel's Ultimate universe.

Just replace OSCORP with "Super Soldier serum".

The premise is actually well-executed and ties almost all the characters together in the Ultimate universe in one way or the other. It also helps bridge the messiness of over 60-70+ years of comic history into a tighter and neater story without having to constantly retcon.

Using OSCORP as "evil" focal point for the Spider-man movies is fine with me.

Totally understand your gripe with it but this is basically borrowed from Marvel's Ultimate universe.

Just replace OSCORP with "Super Soldier serum".

The premise is actually well-executed and ties almost all the characters together in the Ultimate universe in one way or the other. It also helps bridge the messiness of over 60-70+ years of comic history into a tighter and neater story without having to constantly retcon.

Using OSCORP as "evil" focal point for the Spider-man movies is fine with me.

That would explain it, I don't read that expanded universe stuff.

I still think it's lazy, myself.

I stopped reading Ultimate comics right after ultimatum. Everything just got way too ridiculous and could not care for the Ultimate Avengers or Ultimate Spidey since everything got so messy and way too ridiculous. Doc Ock being able to control metal? I really wish the new Amazing Spider-Man movies were really based off the Ultimate Spidey verse which I actually really like...until Ultimatum or course, but unfortunately they aren't.

I do wish they could get Marc Webb and Avi Arad off these movies though.

I stopped reading Ultimate comics right after ultimatum. Everything just got way too ridiculous and could not care for the Ultimate Avengers or Ultimate Spidey since everything got so messy and way too ridiculous. Doc Ock being able to control metal? I really wish the new Amazing Spider-Man movies were really based off the Ultimate Spidey verse which I actually really like...until Ultimatum or course, but unfortunately they aren't.

I do wish they could get Marc Webb and Avi Arad off these movies though.

I'm personally happy with the proper Spidey-verse myself. Showing my age I guess. I dunno, starting to get a bit disappointed with the writers of the comics though. Always Spidey's had to deal hardships, but lately, it just seems as though it's a competition as to how they can make PP's life more miserable. It's starting to seem a little mean-spirited. :(

The old SM2 with Doc Ock for me is still the best comic book movie I've ever seen. Molina was sublime, and it was simply a feel-good spidey flick. It just shades Cap 2 and that's only because I'm a big Spidey fan. Cap 2 was Amazing, to anyone who hasn't seen it. (pun intended). Intelligent, and with political commentary done subtly enough to wrap it into a really fun comic flick to watch.

Like I said above (without spoilers), they should have split this SM movie across 2 films. There's just too many subplots, and too much story packed into it to really let the characters shine. There's so many little things that just felt... rushed.

I'd be interested in knowing what others who've seen it thought.

I'm personally happy with the proper Spidey-verse myself. Showing my age I guess. I dunno, starting to get a bit disappointed with the writers of the comics though. Always Spidey's had to deal hardships, but lately, it just seems as though it's a competition as to how they can make PP's life more miserable. It's starting to seem a little mean-spirited. :(

The old SM2 with Doc Ock for me is still the best comic book movie I've ever seen. Molina was sublime, and it was simply a feel-good spidey flick. It just shades Cap 2 and that's only because I'm a big Spidey fan. Cap 2 was Amazing, to anyone who hasn't seen it. (pun intended). Intelligent, and with political commentary done subtly enough to wrap it into a really fun comic flick to watch.

Like I said above (without spoilers), they should have split this SM movie across 2 films. There's just too many subplots, and too much story packed into it to really let the characters shine. There's so many little things that just felt... rushed.

I'd be interested in knowing what others who've seen it thought.

I really enjoyed it but agree with a lot of your points.
I was surprised how many elements from the trailers were not in there ("well isn't that the question of the day?"), I guess it showed they had an even larger amount to trim back.

I somewhat agree that the film was a little 'bloated' but refining the film to one villain doesn't necessarily follow that the film would have turned out better. All I will say is IM2.

I really enjoyed it but agree with a lot of your points.
I was surprised how many elements from the trailers were not in there ("well isn't that the question of the day?"), I guess it showed they had an even larger amount to trim back.

Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy it. It was just mostly the number of sub-plots, and there were a couple of other things that bothered me which I won't discuss until there's a spoilers thread up. :)

I somewhat agree that the film was a little 'bloated' but refining the film to one villain doesn't necessarily follow that the film would have turned out better. All I will say is IM2.

This is true (though I enjoyed IM2), and I don't think it turned out badly by any means, it perhaps could have just been a tad more focused. I get the feeling that Sony are trying to introduce their "spidey-verse" films in too short a time frame. To give credit to the other "Marvel-verse", they were very patient, and took, what, 6 years and 5 films?

Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy it. It was just mostly the number of sub-plots, and there were a couple of other things that bothered me which I won't discuss until there's a spoilers thread up. :)

This is true (though I enjoyed IM2), and I don't think it turned out badly by any means, it perhaps could have just been a tad more focused. I get the feeling that Sony are trying to introduce their "spidey-verse" films in too short a time frame. To give credit to the other "Marvel-verse", they were very patient, and took, what, 6 years and 5 films?

2008-2012 so Iron Man 1 and 2, The Incredible Hulk, Thor, Captain America: The First Avenger, and The Avengers. 6 films. I would say this is really damn impressive on Marvel Studios' part.

Is it true that at one point his
Spoiler Spoiler:
:ohbfrank:

Again, if you wait until you actually see it before damning it, you'll realise that it makes sense and works in the scene...

Spoiler Spoiler:

That was awesome, I noticed it and it added a little more emotion to the already dramatic scene.

Anybody else feel that at the beginning of these Marvel films, Amazing Spidey 1, Iron man 1, the first X-men, the Watcher should appear and explain that there are infinite universes other than our own and with that infinite possibilities and infinite stories. This movie is one such story of one such possibility. I say this because a lot of fans get upset at a few of the changes that are made from the comics. I know I did.

They need to learn the movies are a different medium, the filmmakers have to try to adapt several versions of long-standing characters and stories that have changed numerous times over the years as well as pick and choose the ones most popular or relevant to the audience

Is it true that at one point his
Spoiler Spoiler:
:ohbfrank:

Yeah, slightly, almost, but not quite..but trust me it was very cool. I thought it was very clever, it was kinda symbolic rather than deliberate on his part.

Huh...I managed not to recognise it has hand-shaped.

I saw it..

Spoiler Spoiler:

https://www.deadline.com/2014/04/in...ted-grosser-ever-divergent-200m-global-tally/

Marking the biggest opening internationally of 2014, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 has taken international markets by storm, grossing an estimated $47M as it bows in major territories, including the U.K., Spain, Germany and Belgium and other top spots of Mexico and Australia, to name a few of the 14 markets. The top market for the Sony franchise was the UK/Ireland with grabbed $15M. It marks a 49% bigger opening than Winter Soldier in the territory. sp1The same group of territories, Sony says, opened comparably to the first installment and well above Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Of note is a huge $2.3M from 50 IMAX screens to equal a monster $47,000 per screen average. The first installment of The Amazing Spider-Man in 2012 grossed a total of $40.3M in this territory in 2012, so we’ll see how it plays out. Spider-Man has done particularly well overseas traditionally, although it has yet to top the $1B mark like other Marvel titles have done. China should be a great box office catch for this film as the first installment did exceptionally grossing a total of $48.8M in 2012. Latin America was also very strong for Spidey. Japan, Korea and Russia — which together brought in $96.8M — will be part of the 21 pack of territories The Amazing Spider-Man 2 will open in next weekend.

In Mexico, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 became the highest opener of the year — 26% higher than the Cap — with an $11.1M take. Spidey spun a $6.2M web around Germany — a whopping 70% higher opening than the Cap — and Australia opened with $5.2M (only 2% bigger than the first installment). Other territories such as Belgium ($940K), Austria ($550K), Sweden ($1.1M) and Denmark ($875K) all also beat the opening of The Winter Soldier. It will open in 21 more markets next weekend, including Japan, Russia and South Korea. It was expected to open in Israel this weekend, but Sony said it didn’t.

But in Spain — yikes — this Spiderman sequel got caught in its own web, failing to open in the No. 1 spot. That honor continues to go to the local language pic Spanish Affairs, which has had a stronghold on the market for six weeks in a row. It is the biggest film ever in Spain with $52.8M to date. In 330 runs, it grossed $5.8M this weekend to grab 44% of the marketshare — twice as big as The Amazing Spider-Man 2. In terms of admissions, it holds the record with 6.43M, surpassing the 6.41M title previously held for the past 13 years by The Others. The pic, handled by Universal Pictures International, is now the 4th highest grossing film of all time in the territory, only behind Avatar, The Impossible and Titantic.

Great news :clap

Back