Medicom Evangelion Eva 01

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure what you mean about the critique of the Rebuild designs. The 1.0 and 2.0 designs are more balanced proportionally. The original NGE designs had very broad shoulders and wasp-like waists, especially as depicted in the actual series animation. I think the original model sheets (assuming that's where this is from) are more balanced and proportional than what ultimately ended up in the show's animation.

This is a pretty good comparison of the two different silhouettes and I think illustrates why changes were made.

eva-comparison.png

I think EoE had the most humanly proportioned designs, Rebuild like NGE has more inhuman proportions though in a different way. I think a lot of what has been changed in the designs from NGE to EoE to Rebuild has more to do with making them easier to animate fluidly than anything. There's an awkwardness to the body particularly a clunkiness to the shoulders and how they move in the NGE designs. Notably in the NGE designs the shoulder pylons move with the arms and the upper body in general is rather bulky. The neck also is quite short and doesn't leave a lot of room for the head to move around.

I like all of the designs, they're all different and interesting in their own way.

Last edited:
Also kinda interesting… there's some notable design similarities between the Eva 02 EoE design and the Beta and Gamma retrofits of 02 and 08 in 3.0. The shape of the pylons is nigh identical and they both have bulkier human-ish proportions. Also neither have the forearm fins. Where the black of the under-suit shows through is very similar on both as well.

Eva02designeoe.gif

Screen%20Shot%202014-05-27%20at%208.00.40%20PM.png

Good points dedguy. By fluidity of design, what I mean is that the design of the components flow into one another. There's a natural cohesion in the design that I find more in the the original series than in the rebuild. Ultimately, my preference in the design philosophy of the original series is the simplistic elegance. The designer made a huge statement with less frill. I forget his name, but the designer started with something so mechanical and ended up with something more organic. Not saying that one design is better than the other. I'm just saying that I prefer the approach on the original series over the rebuild series.

There is one thing, though, that I didn't care for in the original series that you mentioned, and that's the proportions used. The wide shoulders and waspish waist reminds me of the same proportions you'll find in the SOC Evas. Those things were horrible. They looked like brutes instead of the agile units they were meant to be.

Edit: Forgot to add that I didn't notice that the compound segments of the midsection in the original series were done away in the EOE version. All this time, I thought it was the artist's take by rendering it that way. I didn't realize that they indeed were fused together. Very interesting!

I like both the original TV and rebuild designs for different reasons. I do like the series more than rebuild though hand drawn>cgi any day.

A lot of the stuff in the Rebuild films is hand drawn like the entire end sequence of 2.0. I'm also very fond of the CG in 2.0 during the running scene. I think it works so well since it was hand drawn animated in rough sketches and then basically rotoscoped over that with CG. Cool technique and one I wished they used more in 3.0. 3.0 felt a lot more CG-ish than 2.0.

Speaking of 3.0, does anyone know when it'll be released on blu-ray? The dubbed version, I meant.

EVA-13 RAH is showed at the Medicom Exhibition, there's some infos too but can't tell for now.

RZbZ6by.jpg

zd5XXM6.jpg

bcspfNK.jpg

Ie9df7V.jpg

Last edited:
Well… yeah… I need that. Hopefully I'm able to get it. Hope it's not some exclusive and I have the money when the time comes to buy it.

13 is bada$$ looking. I still need to watch 3.0 before pulling the trigger.

Please let it not be an exclusive! I saw this on tag hobby earlier and was trying to look for a yen price posted. Noticed the pic posted on the left side of the eva which shows the figure only sporting a pair of arms, possibly hinting that the extra arms are optional and that you can display as either two or four-armed. Sweet. Must get this.

I've just received my RAH EVA-01 reproduction/reissue in the mail today and I've got some questions, if anyone's willing to answer them.

First off, my model didn't come with any kind of manual or guide. I take it this is normal for the RAH line? (I understand how the model works should be fairly self explanatory but I'd imagine you might very well damage the jaw if you didn't already know that you have to pull the jaw piece down to get the full range of motion.)

Also, this little piece of protective plastic fell out my box and I have had trouble identifying where it belongs; anyone have an answer?

BVq5jda.jpg

Thirdly, is it just me or does the seamwork on the rubber suit look a little rough in places, particularly at the crotch? Follow the link to see a snapshot of my model between, er, it's legs:

https://imgur.com/oXTRk2T

(I just think it looks like it could tear given very little provocation.)

Fourthly, is the middle (green) torso piece supposed to move freely? It doesn't seem to be glued to the suit in my model and can be moved up and down between the top torso piece and the crotchpiece.

Lastly, how does one identify a misaligned or broken hip joint? Performing a hip abduction movement on the left leg (so that it lies parallel with the transverse axis of the figure) results in a very smooth ratcheting motion. Performing the same movement on the right leg, there is no ratcheting sensation until the leg is much further along in its journey. Is this normal behaviour?

1. That piece is part of the packaging. IIRC, it's to keep the chin from rubbing against the chest.
2. It should've come with a manual that describes how to operate the plug mechanism on the back of the figure since pulling it out the wrong way can break it. It was a little piece of paper I think. It should also have other points like how to extend the thigh from the hip
3. It's normal. So far it's holding up on all my rah evas
4. Middle piece moves freely. It's not broken
5 One or two of my Eva's have really soft detentes instead of the strong ratchets on the hip joints. Don't know of any fixes there.

My main complaint about the earlier Eva's is that the tolerances aren't as tight as the newer Eva's (beta and gamma). How are the tolerances on your reissue? The knees and hip joints could've been tighter, making it hard to put them in dynamic poses without their stands. My beta and gamma have tight tolerances so it's a pleasure to handle them.

Rikitiki, you're a mensch.

So, my figure definitely didn't arrive with any instructions. Are there scans available online?

I can confirm that raising and lowering the knee/upper thigh feels reassuringly tight (and loud) and the figure holds its place, though I admit I haven't spent much time posing my figure.

I'll see what I can do about scanning my instructions sometime this week. Good to know that the tolerances are a bit tighter on the reissues!

13 looks amazing. Damn, I told myself that I would only get the four main evas... Looks like I'm not stopping at 08 afterall. :rotfl

That sucks, unfortunately way more than I'm willing to pay for that. For that kinda money I can buy and set up the 30 gallon salt water aquarium we have been wanting to get. I'd much rather do that.

That sucks, unfortunately way more than I'm willing to pay for that. For that kinda money I can buy and set up the 30 gallon salt water aquarium we have been wanting to get. I'd much rather do that.

Yeah it's a toss up. I could get a ps4, but it's still very cool stuff to have

Back