X-Men: Days of Future Past

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol, sorry krec9 I only recently started to follow this thread so I missed the beast serum thing. It sucks though imo, changes like that are so annoying to me. Whatever, obviously Grammar-Beast is canon, and he couldn't change, so I hope it's a temporary thing and not a change in the new timeline.

Also, I really can't see how you can in any way put the words 'good job' and 'cyclops' in one sentence, when it regards this franchise. I'm sure an average soap actor does pretty well with 'what he's been given' because what he's been given is utter crap. But does that really say anything? Marsden sucked, that might not have been his fault, I assume that wasn't his fault, but he sucked nonetheless.

Ftr, I was talking about the Hobbit, you know that right? I adore the original LotR trilogy but Jackson is undoing every good thing he did with it with this new (*super mocking inflection*) "trilogy". Makes me sick. Freeman is god awful in that role. I will watch any iron man movie over these fat-suit debacles they call 'Hobbit movies'.

Also, considering I don't really care about Quicksilver as a character much, and considering here he's at least with his father, that last trailer opened the possibility that I might do a 180 when it concerns him.

I don't get who Metalbender shagged though?:lol Who or where is Quicksilver's mother in this version?

Okay so, this visual is insanely awesome imo.
Spoiler Spoiler:

(I put it in spoiler tags for those who don't watch trailers.)

I haven't been following comics very closely over the last 15 years or so, but back in the day Cyclops was not the character you guys are describing. He did command respect of everyone except, well, Wolverine (and he really did have Wolvie's respect on some levels, even though they were combative). And Cyke was really the primary character that readers could connect to during what I consider to bet the greatest run I'm familiar with in the history of X-Men comics--the Claremont/Cockrum/Byrne period. He started stepping out of Prof. X's shadow, and learned how to manage a team of people who weren't natural team members. And was incredibly successful as leader, despite facing an onslaught of pretty major conflicts during this period. If you are a fan of those classic comics, it's hard not to also be a fan of Cyclops.

I started reading the XMen at about that exact time, and while I mostly agree with you, I also think that Cyclops was stuffy and uptight. He certainly wasn't the badass that Wolverine is. He was Wolverine's counterbalance, like some people have said, succeeding by being "good" and playing by the rules so to speak.

So I think the first two movies got the character mostly right. What I will concede is that the movies simply did not give him the chance to shine and be the central hero we know he can be. I think it was more egregious in the second movie because he was put out of commission pretty quickly.

I think a lot here are forgetting that the first two movies were at the dawn of modern comic book movies, and were a revelation to some of us fans. We were fearing the absolute worst from the first one. But what we got was a movie that for the most part showed real respect for the characters. Yes there were changes, and some characters were switched around. But really, believe me, it could have been much worse, and everything we had seen before (except for Blade) suggested that it would have been terrible in that the characters would not resemble their comic counterparts at all, just in name only. You know what I was expecting? Something like X3, just a bunch of super powered people fighting each other that you knew nothing about or cared at all about.

I can understand everyone's frustration. X3 and Origins were terrible and they practically undid any ground the first two movies gained. I actually think it's tainting many people's opinion over the entire franchise and sadly judging the first two even more harshly than they deserve to be because of them.

The ideal thing would have been to use FC as a reboot and start from scratch with the original X Men. Obviously they didn't, but I think the franchise is not lost. X3 can be ignored because everything that happened in it can be, and was, undone. Magneto got his powers back, Charles's consciousness survived, Phoenix was just Phoenix and not Jean (if you follow the comics), and Cyclops "died" offscreen, which means he didn't die at all. They're kind of ignoring Origins since they re used Emma Frost. And I think the central core group of characters are strong and can at the very least give us one last great movie in DOFP.

Jus think. They could reboot the franchise and try to "re-invent" the characters like they're doing for Fantastic Four!

Ftr, I was talking about the Hobbit, you know that right? I adore the original LotR trilogy but Jackson is undoing every good thing he did with it with this new (*super mocking inflection*) "trilogy". Makes me sick. Freeman is god awful in that role. I will watch any iron man movie over these fat-suit debacles they call 'Hobbit movies'.

I knew which one you were talking about. I'm sure there are many that agree with you. I would a million times over disagree with you though as I'm sure many others would. So it is what it is.

I started reading the XMen at about that exact time, and while I mostly agree with you, I also think that Cyclops was stuffy and uptight. He certainly wasn't the badass that Wolverine is. He was Wolverine's counterbalance, like some people have said, succeeding by being "good" and playing by the rules so to speak.

So I think the first two movies got the character mostly right. What I will concede is that the movies simply did not give him the chance to shine and be the central hero we know he can be. I think it was more egregious in the second movie because he was put out of commission pretty quickly.

I think a lot here are forgetting that the first two movies were at the dawn of modern comic book movies, and were a revelation to some of us fans. We were fearing the absolute worst from the first one. But what we got was a movie that for the most part showed real respect for the characters. Yes there were changes, and some characters were switched around. But really, believe me, it could have been much worse, and everything we had seen before (except for Blade) suggested that it would have been terrible in that the characters would not resemble their comic counterparts at all, just in name only. You know what I was expecting? Something like X3, just a bunch of super powered people fighting each other that you knew nothing about or cared at all about.

I can understand everyone's frustration. X3 and Origins were terrible and they practically undid any ground the first two movies gained. I actually think it's tainting many people's opinion over the entire franchise and sadly judging the first two even more harshly than they deserve to be because of them.

The ideal thing would have been to use FC as a reboot and start from scratch with the original X Men. Obviously they didn't, but I think the franchise is not lost. X3 can be ignored because everything that happened in it can be, and was, undone. Magneto got his powers back, Charles's consciousness survived, Phoenix was just Phoenix and not Jean (if you follow the comics), and Cyclops "died" offscreen, which means he didn't die at all. They're kind of ignoring Origins since they re used Emma Frost. And I think the central core group of characters are strong and can at the very least give us one last great movie in DOFP.

Jus think. They could reboot the franchise and try to "re-invent" the characters like they're doing for Fantastic Four!

yeah that is true. we are so used to comic book movies now that we forget when this came out it was very new. maybe we are just spoiled now?

Yeah that would but I think they're empty, at a different shot earlier in the trailer you see him standing in the arena. If that scene is anything like the moment in FC where he moves the massive Disc, that's gonna be one epic scene.

I knew which one you were talking about. I'm sure there are many that agree with you. I would a million times over disagree with you though as I'm sure many others would. So it is what it is.

Okay, just wanted to make sure.:lol

Also, Kinberg on the film's opening sequence:

Spoiler Spoiler:

https://collider.com/x-men-days-of-future-past-opening-scene-explained/#SmZoQLWl03CKfHlH.99

Yeah it's kinda weird how you have a spider-man cartoon with phil coulson in it, yet in the films they can't meet, yet the films use the same Ultimate influence as the TV series does. It's like crazy.:lol

As long as Jackman is playing Wolverine, we won't see a reboot. But they did announce 'the Death of Wolverine' comic books. I don't know, I'm in between you guys and Pturtle, I do want a reboot, but I think I will nevertheless enjoy what they might do. Dunno. DoFP is gonna make or break whatever engagement I have left with this franchise, that I know for sure.

Back