X-Men: Days of Future Past

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't like the Wolverine solo films, I don't think the character works solo, but within this X-men frame, since I've seen the third trailer, I'm starting to like it genuinely from a character and plot angle that it's Wolverine. It's just that this should've been X-men 3 instead of the god awful debacle we got. It's nice if they do bring Grammer's Beast in for a few scenes as he was imo about the only good thing.

The main problem with these films is and will always remain the butchery of Cyclops. But within that given BS, within a lot of the given BS of this cinemaverse, I'm kinda liking the conscious character irony with regards to Wolverine's past with the team. And I like his chemistry with the First Class cast. Also, Metalbender lifting that massive arena was AWESOME.

It's all about the actual plot for me now...

I think I'm most worried about the time travel mechanics. I now kinda see the logic in kitty pryde being able to phase matter, and being able to phase it so powerfully that she can transcend the time of that matter with it. So she essentially it seems almost literally rewinds Wolverine's body back in time, which he can take because he has the healing factor. Okay, I'll buy it.

But I'm more worried about how they're going to deal with the impact of what he changes. I hope it's not the back to the future/looper type of thing where Charles walks out and suddenly all the sentinels are whoosh, gone... I just don't buy that type of time alteration. I hope its full alternate timelines. Or something new.

Yeah, that's only in the film universe. Wolverine and Spider-Man dominate cartoons, comics, games, etc. Iron Man and Cap are not in their league.

Spider-man and X-Men comics are consistently in the "Top 10" of comic sales per month.

"Superior Spider-man" is Marvel's CONSISTENTLY Best-selling book to date.

I think I'm most worried about the time travel mechanics. I now kinda see the logic in kitty pryde being able to phase matter, and being able to phase it so powerfully that she can transcend the time of that matter with it. So she essentially it seems almost literally rewinds Wolverine's body back in time, which he can take because he has the healing factor. Okay, I'll buy it.

But I'm more worried about how they're going to deal with the impact of what he changes. I hope it's not the back to the future/looper type of thing where Charles walks out and suddenly all the sentinels are whoosh, gone... I just don't buy that type of time alteration. I hope its full alternate timelines. Or something new.

I think it will be like that, or else why are they trying to change the past? Seem like they’re trying to survive, and they’re using time travel as a way to defeat the Sentinels in their timeline.

Iron Man isn't a big character, RDJ is.

Anyway, yeah I don't know, I for one still don't get how people can say the time travel mechanic in Looper was well written, because there's ample way to exemplify that that film is absolutely not logically sound in its time travel rules. In fact it constantly mishmashes between the effects of alternate timelines or one timeline that changes transcendentally. Regardless of your opinion of the film, its time travel system was nonsense.

I really hope Singer doesn't let the film fall into that problem. Either time is perception of one universe in which case essentially everything has already happened to the extent where everything happens at the same time (Einstein's view kinda). Or every change could, can and/or will lead to an alternate timeline for that change. Both systems have been used well in different fictional works, but at the very least I hope Singer consistently chooses one of them. Or better have a damn freakin solid theory on how to have a third way. Essentially if its not alternate timelines, everything Wolverine does, should already have or have not worked in the future of that same timeline.
The thing is you can't alter the same timeline and have those changes be noticeable in time within that same timeline. It's a complete contradiction. Either you transcend your timeline, creating a second, in order to change something (change is a process implying a timeline of its own) or whatever you do is inherently part of that same timeline you're in which means everything you have done, do and will do is already effecting said timeline and will already effect everything as it would determinedly.

If the time travel effects don't make sense this film is f@cked for me no matter how cool it might be. You better have a good theory underlying your writing if you wanna tackle time travel as a plot device as far as I'm concerned.

Time travel is a tricky thing to pull off. Time travel is a plot hole in itself. I think it's just a filmaker's (or writer's) skill in making an audience temporarily forget the time travel paradox enough for them to enjoy the movie. The alternate timeline theory kinda makes sense, but is dependent on how a person is able to exist in two (or several) different timelines, like Marty in BTTF. Really the only way to have time travel work is if the character exists outside of time, like Dr. Who (is that right? I've only watched a few episodes and the Chris Eccleson season but it's how I understand the Dr to be) so whatever happens and whatever changes, it does not affect the character.

After seeing the final trailer, I have to say that I'm really excited for this movie. I loved X1 and X2 and I'm hoping DOFP will offset the cluster**** that happened with X3. I admit that I geeked out at the final scene! I was hoping Cyke would at least have some sort of cameo. Logan is such a di*k. :lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iron Man isn't a big character, RDJ is.

Anyway, yeah I don't know, I for one still don't get how people can say the time travel mechanic in Looper was well written, because there's ample way to exemplify that that film is absolutely not logically sound in its time travel rules. In fact it constantly mishmashes between the effects of alternate timelines or one timeline that changes transcendentally. Regardless of your opinion of the film, its time travel system was nonsense.

I really hope Singer doesn't let the film fall into that problem. Either time is perception of one universe in which case essentially everything has already happened to the extent where everything happens at the same time (Einstein's view kinda). Or every change could, can and/or will lead to an alternate timeline for that change. Both systems have been used well in different fictional works, but at the very least I hope Singer consistently chooses one of them. Or better have a damn freakin solid theory on how to have a third way. Essentially if its not alternate timelines, everything Wolverine does, should already have or have not worked in the future of that same timeline.
The thing is you can't alter the same timeline and have those changes be noticeable in time within that same timeline. It's a complete contradiction. Either you transcend your timeline, creating a second, in order to change something (change is a process implying a timeline of its own) or whatever you do is inherently part of that same timeline you're in which means everything you have done, do and will do is already effecting said timeline and will already effect everything as it would determinedly.

If the time travel effects don't make sense this film is f@cked for me no matter how cool it might be. You better have a good theory underlying your writing if you wanna tackle time travel as a plot device as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed about the ironman character I hated looper.

Singer is gay? Now I feel bad making fun of his black leather fetish...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The X-Men film timeline is completely messed up anyways. I honestly don't think them messing it up even more with time travel can do anymore harm that's not already there. The least they can do is at least have the story grounded enough for us to not think of how messed up it is as we watch the movie unfold.

I didn't like Looper either krec9, but that's mainly because the plot was effing nonsense.

I hope the time travel in DoFP is as close as possible to 12 monkeys with a solid mind**** at the end that leads into Apocalypse. I genuinely hope Wolverine succeeds yet also fails and **** hits the mutated fan even more.:lol

I do think this film can and will make or break my interest in this cinemaverse. So to me it can definitely still do harm for me.

The X-Men film timeline is completely messed up anyways. I honestly don't think them messing it up even more with time travel can do anymore harm that's not already there. The least they can do is at least have the story grounded enough for us to not think of how messed up it is as we watch the movie unfold.

:exactly: there's nothing to be afraid of, all the worse things already happened.

Well if these horrible allegations are true (I've done a bit research and believe Singer is guilty of foul play regardless if this case ends up having no merit at all) I hope they bring back Matthew Vaughn to direct and get rid of Singer's "vision" for the upcoming X-MEN films.

Maybe it's not too late to film a new ending with everyone dying and everything being destroyed :lol That way they can reboot it and make it closer to the source material and comics.

Well if these horrible allegations are true (I've done a bit research and believe Singer is guilty of foul play regardless if this case ends up having no merit at all) I hope they bring back Matthew Vaughn to direct and get rid of Singer's "vision" for the upcoming X-MEN films.

Maybe it's not too late to film a new ending with everyone dying and everything being destroyed :lol That way they can reboot it and make it closer to the source material and comics.

From the trailers, the movie looks incredible, but if he is being replaced, Matthew Vaughn is the obvious choice to carry this franchise. Only problem, he’s not very reliable as a director, he seems to drop out of projects all the time, and doesn’t care for the X-Men franchise quite like Singer does. I just hope this mess doesn’t affect the release of Apocalypse.

I’ve done a bit of research about the whole Singer situation as well, and I can’t pick a side, but both sides seem a bit suspect. Singer’s history with pool parties surrounded by younger homosexual males has been quite known for some time, he’s also good friends with a registered sex offender according to some reports. If thats true, then these accusations are more then plausible, but the victim’s story seems a bit strange. He was getting paid almost 2000 dollars to fly out and have these "meetings” with Singer, and other older men in the business. Seems like he was something like a prostitute to me, enjoying the money and lavish life that was attached to these shady men, but once his dreams of being an actor were crushed once Singer and company dropped him, I’m guessing due to age, he seems to be deliberately trying to get payback. The victim’s lawyer is claiming other men who were victimized by Singer and company at a younger age will be coming forward as well, if that happens, then Singer is going to look all but guilty. If I had to pick who I believe right now, then I would go with the victim, but of course Singer is innocent until proven guilty, so I can’t judge the man on these statements until everything comes out.

Back