Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally saw this last night and I greatly enjoyed it. The cgi usually looked very convincing for the most part. I thought the pacing was wonderful--wasn't too long or short. I do think the ending felt a bit sudden even for a cliffhanger, they didn't really close the story for several of the human characters and im not sure if it was inadvertent or not. Koba had some great scenes and I really loved him in both films but I thought this movie really made me a bigger fan if Ceasar. When he warned the humans to stay out or when Koba was mouthing off and Ceasar just slowly stood up. So cool!

I will say I found this movie predictable as hell though. Ive read so many reviews that said the film goes in different directions than you'd expect but I knew since the ending of the first film that Koba and Ceasar would be rivals (they felt like Shane and Rick from the Walking Dead, and had a Magneto/Xavier aspect to them). Every point in this story I saw coming but it was executed well. Was hoping fir a different outcome for Koba, but there was obviously a point where he had gone too far (numerous times actually) so yeah...

I also finally took the family to see this yesterday. I also thoroughly enjoyed it! Looks like the Apes franchise is officially reborn and here to stay! I'm hoping they have some announcement for the next film at SDCC!

Just like Godzilla, I've been watching and enjoying Apes films since I was a child! (70's) Keep them coming! :rock

Agree! I'm also hoping this new series becomes a series like the original 5 films from the 60-70's. So far, the studio has got it right and things are shaping up that way! :pray:

I don't know. I don't have that kind of faith in Hollywood these days. I don't want the series to be marred by terrible sequels like Pirates of the Caribbean, Terminator, Matrix, Resident Evil, Underworld, Transformers, etc. I even hate when cartoons do it, like anything after Shrek 2 is a shame to the franchise.

I don't know. I don't have that kind of faith in Hollywood these days. I don't want the series to be marred by terrible sequels like Pirates of the Caribbean, Terminator, Matrix, Resident Evil, Underworld, Transformers, etc. I even hate when cartoons do it, like anything after Shrek 2 is a shame to the franchise.

Yea but it's usually the sequel that messes it all up. this one built upon and actually improved over the first. Everything you listed doesn't have a sequel that comes close to the original, not to mention almost everyone involved is a big POTA's fan and it really shows in the films. I only wish Bay took transformers as seriously as Reeves takes Apes. Hollywood adaptations need more men like Reeves making them, that's what makes these movies so damn good, even the first was fantastic.

One of the best movies of the year for me. For this type of summer movie.
The CGI blew me away. Very well done. Very convincing.

So far for me it's now: Capt 2, Edge of Tomorrow and Apes. Hoping Guardians continues the trend for me.

I finally saw this today! It's easily got my vote for best movie of the year so far! Man this movie was so good, between this and the first one.....wow.

This is so far my favorite film of 2014, second is Edge of Tomorrow

I know people have said this film has no humour, but I thought Koba pretending to be a stupid ape was pretty funny.

That was one smart Ape.

Also I liked the scene with Ceaser looking at the photo and the video of his "father". Even though it had been a long time since he'd seen him, he'd never forgotten.

I don't know if it's feasible that the camera would work after all this time lol, but still liked the scene being added.

This and How to Train Your Dragon 2 for me. Followed by X-Men. Only reason why HTTYD2 gets the overall nod is because I found apes predictable all the way, whereas "Dragon" surprised me quite a bit and was very touching. But considering I've walked happy from each film I've seen this summer (Winter Soldier is like my 5th favorite movie this summer and I enjoyed it immensely) shows how good of a summer it's been. I've also skipped Transformers so that may have helped.

Back