Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just saw this, my god this might be the movie of the year, over TWS, really, this movie sent shivers down my spine at times at how good the freaking characters are.

This had sooooooo much character, it was all character, and everything in the story makes sense because of how primal and savage it is, is there even a single plot hole in this movie? If there is I probably missed it due to the hype, but such a statement on war and human/ape natures :lol just brilliant.

I never cared for this franchise enough to be a fan, and haven't seen the old movies since I was a kid, I'm gonna see this again ASAP and get into the fandom of these movies.

Just had another watch. Still just as amazing.

The amount of emotion and differing theme is just perfection. You've got Kobas understandable hatred of Human contrasting with his leader and friends desire for peace. Kobas influence corrupting blue eyes and the way in which there's no clear side to root for between the humans and the Apes as you understand each side and want them both to continue

I will add this to my Christmas list I guess. Sisters have been asking my wife what I want.

Apes > Interstellar

And Nam labeled be a Nolancompoop!

Some spoilers in this post ---- WARNING-----

I loved this movie the first time I watched it, and I've only loved it more and more both times I watched it since it was released on blu ray. There isn't any dragging, I think the runtime suits the film perfectly. Nothing is wasted, each scene is interesting and engaging. I wish Ceasar could be up for a serious best character award, because they did such an amazing job with him. Then again, this film had one of the best villains I've ever seen in a film in Koba (and even better when you include "Rise" as part of his transformation) so I can't even always tell which character steals the show. And Gary Oldman is magnificent in that scene where is iPAD turns back on.

The relationship between Ceasar and Koba is so tragic. I can see where both are coming from and I loved Ceasar's line about Koba only learning hate from humans. It shows how much of an understanding, and even sympathy, Ceasar has for Koba. And when Koba is so eager to help Ceasar with any duty, but to see them splinter to mortal enemies is sad but beautifully done. It's a wonderfully paced transformation of the character of Koba that makes this film, imo, one of the best sequels I've seen (I'm surprised more people don't say this, have expectations for sequels risen?). Malcolm and the human cast, Maurice, Blue Eyes and the supporting apes all stand out in ways and are further developed as their own characters. I think not enough people talk about Blue Eyes and the toll everything takes on him, it's great to see his relationship with Ceasar go the way it did.

I thought the final battle was pretty epic. I think my only nitpick is they turned Koba too evil at the end. He seemed to care about the apes and their cause the whole film, from comforting Blue Eyes about his scars (another, subtle, yet powerful moment considering we all probably knew Koba would be the problem since the end of the first film) and his bond with his followers who went with him to the city. I get the beef with Ceasar, but the moment he removed him from the picture Koba went super merciless. I think it would have been interesting if they showed both Ceasar and Koba trying to protect their own followers and help their allies as they engaged each other (rather than Koba lifting **** off his homie just to pick up the gun and drop it on him, leaving him to die). I guess they needed the clear-cut villain.

Regardless, the final product isn't any less powerful. This very well might be my favorite film of 2014.

Back