Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just saw the movie, enjoyed it greatly, well done all around.

Was it better than the first? Not sure. For me, these two movies are very different and I don't feel like they can be compared to eachother.

My only complaint, and it really is a nitpick, is that the apes were so well realized 90% of the time, that the 10% of the time they werent stood out to me. Don't get me wrong, the CGI was fantastic, but here and there there were scenes that didn't look as real as the rest.

Definite buy on blu.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=103474

A few weeks ago, Variety reported that 20th Century Fox's Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was on track for a $68M opening weekend and based on these latest figures it appears those numbers were accurate. It pulled in $26M to $27M on Friday, which puts it on pace for a $68M to $70M 3-day weekend. For comparison: the 2011 film, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, opened with $54.8M.

There's one surprise, audiences only gave the film an 'A-' Cinemascore. Kind of schocking since the reviews have been outstanding for the big-budget film. It currently has a 91% “fresh” score on Rotten Tomatoes. Deadline cautioned, box office figures may encounter a dip on Sunday because the World Cup Final game between Germany and Argentina.

Transformers: Age of Extinction is currently estimated to gross $4.4M tonight and is expected to cross $200M tomorrow; it will end the three-day with about $14M to $15.8M. After that, Tammy is expected to drop about 48% in its second weekend, taking around $11M to $12M, followed by How To Train Your Dragon 2 with $5.6M to $5.7M. Earth to Echo may fall about 33% in its sophomore frame competing for the No. 5 spot at the moment with 22 Jump Street; they both may take in around $5.5M for the weekend. In its second week, Deliver Us From Evil is a frightening 57% off and should take around $4M+.

Read more at https://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=103474#BRS1u6ZRVph3HEKU.99

Loved rise, obviously love the first one in 68, one of the best sic if ever.

Dawn for me was one of the all time best sic if movies, the best cgi I've ever seen, and so far the best movie of 2014. I'd rate it a 9/10 I don't think I've rated a movie that high so far in the 2010s. I think it never will, but could totally be a best picture nom.

Then definitely go see it, I enjoyed it more than the first, but thought the first was only okay. It's a lot different than the first one too, the change of directors is definitely felt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hmmmm. I'll see it then tomorrow..... Thanks for the advice

Saw this last night with my wife. We both really enjoyed it. Seeing it with my dad sometime next week.

Just saw the movie, enjoyed it greatly, well done all around.

Was it better than the first? Not sure. For me, these two movies are very different and I don't feel like they can be compared to eachother.

My only complaint, and it really is a nitpick, is that the apes were so well realized 90% of the time, that the 10% of the time they werent stood out to me. Don't get me wrong, the CGI was fantastic, but here and there there were scenes that didn't look as real as the rest.

Definite buy on blu.

Was it the young apes? I noticed that in the first. Apes looked awesome, but baby Cesar not so much

Was it the young apes? I noticed that in the first. Apes looked awesome, but baby Cesar not so much

For the most part, yes, since the Baby was entirely CG it came off a little sloppier than the rest. there were other places, but maybe I was looking at things that werent intended to be the focal point.

Going to see it again in the next couple of days. The only thing that bothered me thinking about it was the hunt at the very beginning. In Escape (I think it was Escape or the first), they mention how the apes do not kill other animals for food, saying how man does this and it's another example of man being brutal and killing unnecessarily. Here we see apes hunting for food with planned strategies. I admit that this was really cool to watch, but it does go against established lore. I guess I have to think of this series as a reboot and not a prequel to the originals. After all, it wasn't a virus that killed the dogs and cats that caused man to make apes their pets which led to the apes rebelling either. I just like the idea that apes do not kill unnecessarily. But man was it an awesome opening sequence to watch!

Yeah, but don't those films take place thousands of years after this? Perhaps, like humans, they were more primitive in their first generations?

I never seen the '68 original PotA, how is it compared to rise and dawn? Is the story the same? Thanks

There are five old ones. Rise is sort of a remake of the fourth one (Conquest of the Planet of the Apes) and Dawn is sort of a remake of the fifth one (Battle for the Planet of the Apes). Not a literal remake, reboot is the right word, but thre are undeniable similarities and parallels. Rise is also chock full of Easter Eggs best enjoyed when being an avid fan of the original. Caesar is the only character so far that appeared in both series but he didn't show up until the third film in the original series (Escape from the Planet of the Apes). The original 1968 is a masterpiece. It's even better when you don't know the ending! I'd suggest seeing at least that one if not all five of the originals eventually but these new ones don't rely on what came before.

Yeah, but don't those films take place thousands of years after this? Perhaps, like humans, they were more primitive in their first generations?

Yeah, very true. I kind of hope that they at least address that they become vegetarians in the next one. If not, not a big deal either. I just prefer if they have continuity.

I never seen the '68 original PotA, how is it compared to rise and dawn? Is the story the same? Thanks

One of the best sci Fi films. An unbelievable film for its day. I saw it when I was young and folks in the theater at the end were just saying wow. To some extent it was frightening for some back then just even think of that type of future. A great film and great 5 film story. You just can't watch the first one. The second film too was a wake up call. Hell all were great IMHO

Back