Avengers: Age of Ultron (May 1st, 2015)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://badassdigest.com/2014/04/24/that-ultron-is-quite-a-character/

Avengers: Age of Ultron is filming right now, and it's a big deal. It's been filming for a while and it wasn't such a big deal, but now it's filming with all the humans we care about compiled together and the size of the deal has risen.

Perhaps because of this, we are finally getting some more insight into what the heck is going on with this film in the first place. Joss Whedon spoke with Empire and offered a couple quotes of great worth. The most important being about the film's main villain:

I’m having a blast with Ultron. He’s not a creature of logic – he’s a robot who’s genuinely disturbed. We’re finding out what makes him menacing and at the same time endearing and funny and strange and unexpected, and everything a robot never is.

I honestly have no idea what any of that means. It sounds like he's describing a human. When Ultron was announced as the film's big bad, I was worried he'd just be a boring robot. Then they cast James Spader, and I got more confused. Now I'm even more confused than that, but in a way I can alleviate with faith. If he's going to be funny and weird, then at least something interesting is going on.

Whedon was also asked about quality control in a movie with 5,000 characters. He responded with this:

I fiercely dislike the idea of just throwing in more people for the sake of doing that. But last time I had all of Earth’s Mightiest Heroes versus one British character actor, and I needed more conflict.

Again, I'm going on pure faith with this one.

Then there's this bit about filming in the UK:

The number of different looks and textures and moods we’re getting from the British locations is stupid awesome. Because this, palette-wise, is very different. I’m trying to make a different film. Because why would you make one movie twice? That seems weird.

I included that because it's a good illustration of why Joss Whedon's cutesy speak sometimes bugs me. But: faith.

... ...

image.jpg

https://badassdigest.com/2014/04/24/that-ultron-is-quite-a-character/

Avengers: Age of Ultron is filming right now, and it's a big deal. It's been filming for a while and it wasn't such a big deal, but now it's filming with all the humans we care about compiled together and the size of the deal has risen.

Perhaps because of this, we are finally getting some more insight into what the heck is going on with this film in the first place. Joss Whedon spoke with Empire and offered a couple quotes of great worth. The most important being about the film's main villain:

I’m having a blast with Ultron. He’s not a creature of logic – he’s a robot who’s genuinely disturbed. We’re finding out what makes him menacing and at the same time endearing and funny and strange and unexpected, and everything a robot never is.

I honestly have no idea what any of that means. It sounds like he's describing a human. When Ultron was announced as the film's big bad, I was worried he'd just be a boring robot. Then they cast James Spader, and I got more confused. Now I'm even more confused than that, but in a way I can alleviate with faith. If he's going to be funny and weird, then at least something interesting is going on.

Whedon was also asked about quality control in a movie with 5,000 characters. He responded with this:

I fiercely dislike the idea of just throwing in more people for the sake of doing that. But last time I had all of Earth’s Mightiest Heroes versus one British character actor, and I needed more conflict.

Again, I'm going on pure faith with this one.

Then there's this bit about filming in the UK:

The number of different looks and textures and moods we’re getting from the British locations is stupid awesome. Because this, palette-wise, is very different. I’m trying to make a different film. Because why would you make one movie twice? That seems weird.

I included that because it's a good illustration of why Joss Whedon's cutesy speak sometimes bugs me. But: faith.

I don't get why he's confused by this Whedon quote...makes complete sense to me. Look no further than HK-47 from 'Knights of the Old Republic' for a prime example of a colorful, deranged robot full of personality.

I don't get why he's confused by this Whedon quote...makes complete sense to me. Look no further than HK-47 from 'Knights of the Old Republic' for a prime example of a colorful, deranged robot full of personality.

HK is a good example and let's hope it's in that vein.
But I don't fault the writer, Marvel has been known to go too far at the the cost of hero and villain gravitas just to get a few laughs.
The comics paint Ultron as straight laced dead pan evil with nary a funny processor in his adamantium chassis

Last edited:
I completely fault the writer. The idiot should do his research.

If you're going to be doing commentary on ANY film derived from a source material (i.e. comic books, novels, poems, ancient literature, history, etc.) you should do your f'n research. Don't talk about "faith" because you think Joss Whedon is a nerd king director, go look up the characters he's talking about and read up on them. Then you can make an enlightening bit of intelligence on the comments he's making regarding the film.

My point is the writer may have known enough about the source material for Ultron to be justifiably worried about Joss/Marvels intentions, but in the end gave Joss the benefit of the doubt, which he's earned.
Just because you think you correctly read between the lines about Wheddons intentions doesn't mean the writers conclusions or opinions are invalid.
Time and box office receipts will tell.
But the writer made no mistake imo.

Maybe Hank started to build Ultron and Tony finishes it with alien tech to help fight future threat.

Why alien tech? What's great about Ultron is that he has Pym's brainwaves and was built by human tech. I feel like adding alien tech defeats Ultron's motivation towards humanity

I noticed in some of the pictures from the set that Hawkeye is standing next to the Scarlet Witch a lot. Is he a member of Hydra or a bad guy or am I way off here?? I hope I am because I love Hawkeye!

Would be pretty powerful to have him as Hydra and Widow have to put him down.

Back