Youtube Can Pay For Your Addiction! But Don't Hold Your Breathe.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Singuy

Freaked Out
Reaction score
I posted in a thread about how much a popular youtuber like SeanLong makes.

I'm have an account on youtube and here's the breakdown.

5000 views get you around 10 dollars.

Sean Long with 84 million total views have netted him around $160,000, minus sponsorship (yes, he gets free toys, and probably even gets cash..and believe me, all his toy fair conventions are paid for by his sponsors).
So yes, he can buy whatever he wants, because his collection pays for itself.

Before you start making an account, hoping to be the next SeanLong, here are some caveats:

There are A LOT OF peeps on youtube doing the same exact "x" review. Google searching is based on tags, views, and thumbs up.

For example, your ultra awesome T800 hot toys review, that has 3 views..will be lost at sea because every time someone types in "T800 hot toys review", sean longs will come up..and yours will be on the 6th page.

There is however, a snowball affect. The first 50 subscribers you get may take months! But once you get more views, the easier your videos can be found, the faster you accumulate views and subscribers.

Lastly, there are some key things to gain subscribers

1. Good lighting
2. Edit Edit Edit, no one wants to see you drag your camera. The more your video look like a movie(lots of editing), the better.
3. Be funny.
4. The older you are, the better! If you are under 16, play the piano with one hand or something, because no one wants to see a 12 hear old doing reviews for something made for adults.

Before you know it, youtube will invite you to share revenue. Before this, you will NOT make a cent from your videos.

And no, you do NOT need 50k subscribers to be invited.
You do need I think 10k total views.
You may be noticed by toy companies once you break the thousand subscriber mark.

Once you are monetizing your videos, be sure to check the option to run commercials prior to the beginning of a video. These yields the most and consistent revenue.

You earn most when people clicks on an advertisement or a link, so you are paid mostly based on the paid per click model.

Be creative and have fun out there! Don't be an everyday reviewer, do something different and exciting!

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with Sean Long. Like Evilface, I don't really watch youtube videos of toy reviews. But I appreciate you providing this information to the boardies :clap

If only I weren't so lazy, I'm certain that the masses of impressionable, eager collectors out there would be more than happy to hand me wads of cash for my pointed insight and wisdom beyond my years. I can only offer my apologies for not giving my people what they demand.

I've never watched a single you tube toy review. Who cares about someones opinion on a toy. :dunno

:wave

Good for you EVILFACE, but unless you are just being sarcastic (?) you are missing out on another medium for sharing of ideas, suggestions, quality control issues, ideas for posing figures, ways of avoiding breaking damaging something etc. etc.

I like the youtube reviews, don't subscribe to any, but it is a nice way to see what other collectors' think about what they have in hand.

When I'm thinking about a figure purchase, I almost always youtube-search the figure first. A figure in someone's hand is worth two in the professionally touched-up advertisement. And yeah, some of the reviews have been hideous, but at least I got to see the figure from several different angles, if shakily so. I appreciate them.

General Youtube partnership gives about $0.25 to $0.75 per 1000 views I think.

Watch these things when there's down time. But the best youtuber for 1:6 scale is kidulttoyshop...cuz he doesnt say a word.

I like reviews vids but I also like to have the toy speak for itself.

Isn't Sean Long that guy who spent all his rent money on stolen Chinese prototype hasbro toys, and then made a tear-filled youtube video where he asks people to donate money so he can make his rent...
AND IT WORKED?!

Watch these things when there's down time. But the best youtuber for 1:6 scale is kidulttoyshop...cuz he doesnt say a word.

I like reviews vids but I also like to have the toy speak for itself.

I enjoy a good voice accompanying the pictures. Makes the video stand out, and keeps me entertained.

I see a lot of irony when a person who gets something for FREE from a shop or manufacturer (specially an expensive toy), gets to "review" it.

Another point to make - DON'T use movie clips or music in your reviews. Even if you are invited to monetize your videos any that include 3rd party owned content will not be approved for monetization.

Isn't Sean Long that guy who spent all his rent money on stolen Chinese prototype hasbro toys, and then made a tear-filled youtube video where he asks people to donate money so he can make his rent...
AND IT WORKED?!

You're kidding?

I'll have to remember that in the future if need be.

:monkey2 = $$$

Josh is going to be pissed when he finds out how much money his brother makes.:rotfl

AND IT WORKED?!
LOL

I see a lot of irony when a person who gets something for FREE from a shop or manufacturer (specially an expensive toy), gets to "review" it.
Well, no one ever said a review had to be objective, did they? ;)

Like that guy that gets all the early Mattel stuff he gushingly fawns over. He's clearly not being cold and objective in his reviews. But if he was, Mattel wouldn't give him free stuff. To quote a great, rich man--"Everything has a price. Ahahahahahaha!"

Back