Welcome to SideshowCollectors.com! Register today to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and easy!
Advanced Search
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 93
  1. #51
    Resident Mad Doctor
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Large House, Muldeen Square
    Posts
    3,757
    Feedback
    0
    Reputation

    Default Re: Norman Bates from PSYCHO!

    OK--I'm convinced. The figure just completely sucks, the sculptor sucks...everything sucks. The world sucks, life sucks, blah blah blah.

    Except the sculptor of the portrait has worked for 10 years in the industry and is a respected professional. Here's some of his stuff:











    But let's not forget---he sucks too.Must be starving to death as horrible as his work is. he should probably just go jump off a bridge. On account of, you know, sucking so bad. See how easy it is to be negative?

    My eyes must be going bad. I cannot for the life of me see mold lines and bits of paint in those tiny little pictures that are up in this thread. Bottom line remains the same---If you dont like it, move along. But let those who choose to enjoy the fact that somebody, somewhere decided to make this figure have our brief moment of satisfaction without all the cry baby bullcrap about how you could do it better, or you'd never pay that much for the figure or blah blah blah.

    I am sure that if Mr. Garcia ever graces the boards he will be thrilled to see how much the good folk here in our little communty speak so highly of his sculpt. I seem to remember a little jerk hole over on statueforums named RedHunter X or something like that. This moron just completely tore apart and savaged every single figure or statue that made its way down the pokey. He even attacked Mike Hill. Then Mike Hill showed up, and very quickly put the little dweeb in his place. Turns out the guy was a sculpting student who hadnt been hired, and his work needed work. Hill...being the bigger guy---actually gave the kid some pointers. I doubt I would've done that for someone who spent all their time talking about how badly my art sucked......
    Last edited by Anton Phibes; 02-27-2012 at 07:06 AM.

  2. Collectibles Direct UK-300x250 Entertainment Earth 250x250-NFL
  3. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by klocket View Post
    I mean... you guys really think this is a good sculpt underneath the molded plastic and bits of paint?

    If you say so... :/

    I'm not even going to go into the price point.

    M.
    I take it you are the well respected art and toy critic who works for a major publication and everybody hangs on your every word?

  4. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Victor View Post
    Only if I don't get driven into submission by negative no buyers feedback

    Don't even say that as a joke!

    Don't worry, if you want to make smaller commission just to send to me and cancel putting them up for sale for anyone else, I'll fully support that. Seriously, I have been waiting for Hammer figures since before Product Enterprise released Dracula. It is such an untapped goldmine of great actors and monsters.
    Last edited by ILUVSkinner; 02-27-2012 at 07:09 AM.

  5. #54
    Resident Mad Doctor
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Large House, Muldeen Square
    Posts
    3,757
    Feedback
    0
    Reputation
    I am going to make sure I get one now just because its sure to be a collectors item, as the artists and produicer are both going to enter into a suicide pact over the negative criticisms they have received here. Just remember to ship mine before you guys do anything drastic.

  6. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Anton Phibes View Post
    I am going to make sure I get one now just because its sure to be a collectors item, as the artists and produicer are both going to enter into a suicide pact over the negative criticisms they have received here. Just remember to ship mine before you guys do anything drastic.
    Don't worry guys, my goal in life is to produce all the figures people want and then find fault with.
    With every figure I sell I will now cast a smile in the direction of my knockers and distractors.
    Negativity is a way of life, especially on internet forums and it wouldnt surprise me if some of my more ardent critics are on each others friends lists. Dr. Mirakle, ILuvSkinner andAnton , I thank you for your honest and genuine support. It is you and people like you who make this all worthwhile.

  7. #56
    Some peps mad up in hurr!

    Anton, buy the figure and move on.

  8. #57
    Resident Mad Doctor
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Large House, Muldeen Square
    Posts
    3,757
    Feedback
    0
    Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by EVILFACE View Post
    Some peps mad up in hurr!

    Anton, buy the figure and move on.
    Lol,gonna do that. The only reason folks get their dander up (I among them) when it comes to DD is the nay sayers want to hold this little mom and pop type customizer to the level of Hot Toys. Its not a fair comparison.

    I take a little extra annoyance when it comes to harsh critiques of Normie--- because I supplied the man with a gazillion photographic references,detailed descriptions of the various outfits the character wore throughout the film, etc. Then I got a large hi-rez pic of the first portrait sculpt minus paint apps. I told him it looked great. Then folks start comparing it to Ronald McDonald or whomever,and claiming its a $40 figure at best. $40 gets you two Masters of the Universe comedy figures. Not a custom horror figure. Most customizers wouldnt even bother to get out of bed for $40 if thats all that one wanted to spend on a figure. they might send you a nice Myers jumpsuit for that....but thats probably about it. Its a little insulting to the work and research they put into making the figure. Which was plenty. I knwo, because I sent them a ton of emails with loads of pics.


    Maybe I am in a minority with regards to considering how valuable a $100 is....but I dont think so. Heck---my cable/internet bill is $120 a month.

  9. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by madeboxer View Post
    I totally agree. Most of their figures look rather amaturish to me. I would buy if they were around $40 only because I collect horror figures but these are just not very well done and the materials for clothing is low grade quallity. Not worth $99. I did buy a Christopher Lee figure a while back that was well done and worth the $89 I paid for it and I really do wish these were as good because i would gladly buy all of them.

    AAPIC 007 by madeboxer, on Flickr

    I have been collecting horror 12ers since the early 80s and my main collection has always been horror. Although these 12ers do answer a void for characters from the Hammer films and other old movies I would love to have, the cost does not equal the quality. If the pricepoint was reduced, they might sell like hotcakes.
    You obviously missed my review on the DD Van Helsing:
    http://sideshowcollectors.com/forums...=102720&page=2

    I own four DD figures, and the tailoring and clothing material is much nicer than the Lee Dracula. While I love the Lee Drac for what he is, and the likeness is great; the head is too big and the body is kind of wonky, and far too small for the imposing actor. The body DD uses is sturdy and the figures are more proportional.
    http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b94/ryanjeri/ErikAvatar.jpg

  10. #59
    And my friend, adult actress Tanya Tate likes my work too

    http://www.justalottatanya.com/2012/...es-horror.html

  11. #60
    These figures do need to be viewed in context... a small company releasing full custom figures for under $100 is unheard of. However, that does mean that there are going to be some limitations and I think that is what gives these figures a semi-dated look. If these had come out 10 years ago they would have been gobbled up, but in a HT run world not many appreciate the work that goes into figures like this.

    Having said that I wonder if starting with a new basebody (on future figures) might help. I don't know what is currently being used, but it seems that if the body has strange proportions (like the Sideshow Buck, or Hasbro GI Joe) then the clothing also suffer the same issues.

    It might drive up the cost, but the Headplay (no name bodies) are a great alternative the TrueType (being a very good copy) and as a base for the figures might lead to a better looking end product.

    Good luck with the future releases, I'm interested to see what's coming next.


Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How about a "Psycho" Norman Bates PF
    By attom44 in forum Horror - Statues, props, etc.
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-22-2011, 09:57 AM
  2. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12-16-2009, 08:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •