Norman Bates from PSYCHO!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you please send me 100 of the $2 toys so I can convert them

Wish that could happen. I'd love to get some new Hammer figures for a little over $2 (obviously it should cost around $5-10 due to conversion, though). Sadly you cannot but figures comparable with the bodies you use for as cheap as that. :slap You might get one of those rip-apart, worthless hollow bodies for that, if lucky.

Its already been established the fella making these isnt a "company" any more than a resin garage kit seller is a company. A "Company" doesnt send out email requests to fans for photographic references and input on clothes and sculpt. They just make something and toss it in front of you.

I am not sure why people seem to think ''Baron Viktor' is a company either. Yes, he is now on that borderline of company-customizer for the simply reason that he makes a few of these before hand (he even gets nice, very laminated, boxes made. Pretty rare for a customizer), but these are customs. Very nice ones at that. He has made the best Peter Cushing sculpt for the Sherlock Holmes figure, too, so now I do not have to try to shrink that damn Hasbro Tarkin's oversized head. He tackles things, with a love for the source, that others do not. I'd never thought I'd have a Christopher Lee as the Creature figure, but now I do. It took a small operation to do something a big company should have done years ago.

People seem a bit too spoilt now. But needlessly, as I'd say that most mass-scale figures, though realistic, are overpriced and killing the hobby. DD is at least affordable. I dread seeing HT get any license that I am interested in because they'd charge far too much despite the fact that we have been going through recessions. Either I'd not get the HT figure that I'd like, or I do and feel pretty ripped off. I'd only spend the sort of money that HT charges for an old, out of production Alfrex figure from the early 2000s (before the company went bust). I do not expect to pay between £100-200 for a brand new, mass produced figure that has just been released.

I totally agree. Most of their figures look rather amaturish to me. I would buy if they were around $40 only because I collect horror figures but these are just not very well done and the materials for clothing is low grade quallity. Not worth $99. I did buy a Christopher Lee figure a while back that was well done and worth the $89 I paid for it and I really do wish these were as good because i would gladly buy all of them.

AAPIC 007 by madeboxer, on Flickr

I have been collecting horror 12ers since the early 80s and my main collection has always been horror. Although these 12ers do answer a void for characters from the Hammer films and other old movies I would love to have, the cost does not equal the quality. If the pricepoint was reduced, they might sell like hotcakes.

I had that Christopher Lee figure. I was pretty happy with it too. Until i took the cape off one day to discover that the head is too big for the body. So there ya go---everybody's got differing tastes. there's nothing amateurish about Garcia's Psycho sculpt. he's a professional, and has done some work for Sideshow and others.:peace

I totally agree. Most of their figures look rather amaturish to me. I would buy if they were around $40 only because I collect horror figures but these are just not very well done and the materials for clothing is low grade quallity. Not worth $99. I did buy a Christopher Lee figure a while back that was well done and worth the $89 I paid for it and I really do wish these were as good because i would gladly buy all of them.

That Christopher Lee was made by a real company called Product Enterprise. I bought more than one of him when he was new years agon (early 2000s). He is good, but too short and his clothes are either missing a poppet or have too many buttons on one side (Lee usually only buttoned up one button on his jacket in 'Dracula'). I did, however, have a solution to the height problem:

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4204190&postcount=21

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4206368&postcount=23

Low grade material??? If on average $10 a metre is low grade then so be it. As for anyone who can produce a 12" figure including a pro printed laminated box and sell for $40 please introduce me. I will wholesale from them. I dont mind a bit of criticism but some people live in cloud cuckoo land. And as my mother used to say " The Proof of The Pudding is in the Eating". Those who buy my figures are happy, those who dont usually can't afford them and would rather be negative. Sheesh man, I will gladly compare the quality of my clothing next to the Sideshow Uni Monsters with their cheap plastic belts, green Frankenstein jackets and sleeveless shirts. Try stripping The Phantom of The Opera down and you will see low quality clothing!!

I did like the Sideshow figures (which is why I signed up here) but they did have quality issues. I think that almost anyone who collects WWI figures will know how flimsy the Lewis Gunner was. His strap-pegs were always in danger of being knocked off by his ears and trying to undo the belt to put his pistol holster on usually caused the buckle to snap (boiling would probably work). I do agree with you about the Phantom too. :lecture

P.S. Make a Hammer Phantom (Herbert Lom). :lol

Wish that could happen. I'd love to get some new Hammer figures for a little over $2 (obviously it should cost around $5-10 due to conversion, though). Sadly you cannot but figures comparable with the bodies you use for as cheap as that. :slap You might get one of those rip-apart, worthless hollow bodies for that, if lucky.

I am not sure why people seem to think ''Baron Viktor' is a company either. Yes, he is now on that borderline of company-customizer for the simply reason that he makes a few of these before hand (he even gets nice, very laminated, boxes made. Pretty rare for a customizer), but these are customs. Very nice ones at that. He has made the best Peter Cushing sculpt for the Sherlock Holmes figure, too, so now I do not have to try to shrink that damn Hasbro Tarkin's oversized head. He tackles things, with a love for the source, that others do not. I'd never thought I'd have a Christopher Lee as the Creature figure, but now I do. It took a small operation to do something a big company should have done years ago.

People seem a bit too spoilt now. But needlessly, as I'd say that most mass-scale figures, though realistic, are overpriced and killing the hobby. DD is at least affordable. I dread seeing HT get any license that I am interested in because they'd charge far too much despite the fact that we have been going through recessions. Either I'd not get the HT figure that I'd like, or I do and feel pretty ripped off. I'd only spend the sort of money that HT charges for an old, out of production Alfrex figure from the early 2000s (before the company went bust). I do not expect to pay between £100-200 for a brand new, mass produced figure that has just been released.

I asked a seamstress one time how much it would cost me to get a one of a kind Sherlock outfit made, just because I was in a Sherlock Holmes kick for awhile. She told me she could do it for $70. I passed. If I was still in a Sherlock kick, I could buy the one that DD made shipped to me for $99. With a figure inside the outfit.

I just dont see the outrage over it being $99. For goodness sakes: this is all $40 gets you now:

San+Diego+Comic-Con+2010+Exclusive+Masters+of+the+Universe+Action+Figure+2+Pack+-+Mo-Larr+vs+Skeletor.bmp

When Executive Replicas first announced their Vincent Price Presents figure in 2009, It was $69.99. It had the same gigantic buttons on his vest that people are taking issue with on Norman. That figure NEVER CAME OUT. Now its up for pre-order for $200.00. 3 years later. Inflation, I guess? I just paid $75 (the suggested retail) for this:

IMG_1505.JPG

There's a new Creepshow figure coming out soon. The producer has told us he plans to keep it affordable at $99.99....and all of us are impressed it can be done so inexpensively.

I said it once, and I will say it again. $100 is chump change these days fellas. The panhandler on the side of the interstate probably makes twice that every day.:peace

I mean... you guys really think this is a good sculpt underneath the molded plastic and bits of paint?

If you say so... :/

I'm not even going to go into the price point.

M.

Wonderful. :yess: Herbert Lom is one of my favourite actors and the film is a gem. Are you still planning on making that Michael Ripper figure? He is the true star of Hammer films of course. :lol

Only if I don't get driven into submission by negative no buyers feedback :panic:

OK--I'm convinced. The figure just completely sucks, the sculptor sucks...everything sucks. The world sucks, life sucks, blah blah blah.

Except the sculptor of the portrait has worked for 10 years in the industry and is a respected professional. Here's some of his stuff:

TheFLYII.jpg

Engineer(Hellraiser).jpg

SpidermanVenomZombie.jpg

bosskside.jpg

CreatureDetail.jpg

But let's not forget---he sucks too.Must be starving to death as horrible as his work is. he should probably just go jump off a bridge. On account of, you know, sucking so bad. See how easy it is to be negative?

My eyes must be going bad. I cannot for the life of me see mold lines and bits of paint in those tiny little pictures that are up in this thread. Bottom line remains the same---If you dont like it, move along. But let those who choose to enjoy the fact that somebody, somewhere decided to make this figure have our brief moment of satisfaction without all the cry baby bullcrap about how you could do it better, or you'd never pay that much for the figure or blah blah blah.

I am sure that if Mr. Garcia ever graces the boards he will be thrilled to see how much the good folk here in our little communty speak so highly of his sculpt. I seem to remember a little jerk hole over on statueforums named RedHunter X or something like that. This moron just completely tore apart and savaged every single figure or statue that made its way down the pokey. He even attacked Mike Hill. Then Mike Hill showed up, and very quickly put the little dweeb in his place. Turns out the guy was a sculpting student who hadnt been hired, and his work needed work. Hill...being the bigger guy---actually gave the kid some pointers. I doubt I would've done that for someone who spent all their time talking about how badly my art sucked......

Last edited:
I mean... you guys really think this is a good sculpt underneath the molded plastic and bits of paint?

If you say so... :/

I'm not even going to go into the price point.

M.

I take it you are the well respected art and toy critic who works for a major publication and everybody hangs on your every word?

Only if I don't get driven into submission by negative no buyers feedback :panic:

Don't even say that as a joke! :pfft:

Don't worry, if you want to make smaller commission just to send to me and cancel putting them up for sale for anyone else, I'll fully support that. :lol Seriously, I have been waiting for Hammer figures since before Product Enterprise released Dracula. It is such an untapped goldmine of great actors and monsters.

Last edited:
I am going to make sure I get one now just because its sure to be a collectors item, as the artists and produicer are both going to enter into a suicide pact over the negative criticisms they have received here. Just remember to ship mine before you guys do anything drastic.:panic::panic:

I am going to make sure I get one now just because its sure to be a collectors item, as the artists and produicer are both going to enter into a suicide pact over the negative criticisms they have received here. Just remember to ship mine before you guys do anything drastic.:panic::panic:

Don't worry guys, my goal in life is to produce all the figures people want and then find fault with.
With every figure I sell I will now cast a smile in the direction of my knockers and distractors.
Negativity is a way of life, especially on internet forums and it wouldnt surprise me if some of my more ardent critics are on each others friends lists. Dr. Mirakle, ILuvSkinner andAnton , I thank you for your honest and genuine support. It is you and people like you who make this all worthwhile. :hi5::hi5:

Some peps mad up in hurr!

Anton, buy the figure and move on.

Lol,gonna do that.:lol The only reason folks get their dander up (I among them) when it comes to DD is the nay sayers want to hold this little mom and pop type customizer to the level of Hot Toys. Its not a fair comparison.

I take a little extra annoyance when it comes to harsh critiques of Normie--- because I supplied the man with a gazillion photographic references,detailed descriptions of the various outfits the character wore throughout the film, etc. Then I got a large hi-rez pic of the first portrait sculpt minus paint apps. I told him it looked great. Then folks start comparing it to Ronald McDonald or whomever,and claiming its a $40 figure at best. $40 gets you two Masters of the Universe comedy figures. Not a custom horror figure. Most customizers wouldnt even bother to get out of bed for $40 if thats all that one wanted to spend on a figure. they might send you a nice Myers jumpsuit for that....but thats probably about it. Its a little insulting to the work and research they put into making the figure. Which was plenty. I knwo, because I sent them a ton of emails with loads of pics.:peace

Maybe I am in a minority with regards to considering how valuable a $100 is....but I dont think so. Heck---my cable/internet bill is $120 a month.

AAPIC 007 by madeboxer, on Flickr

I have been collecting horror 12ers since the early 80s and my main collection has always been horror. Although these 12ers do answer a void for characters from the Hammer films and other old movies I would love to have, the cost does not equal the quality. If the pricepoint was reduced, they might sell like hotcakes.

You obviously missed my review on the DD Van Helsing:
https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102720&page=2

I own four DD figures, and the tailoring and clothing material is much nicer than the Lee Dracula. While I love the Lee Drac for what he is, and the likeness is great; the head is too big and the body is kind of wonky, and far too small for the imposing actor. The body DD uses is sturdy and the figures are more proportional.

These figures do need to be viewed in context... a small company releasing full custom figures for under $100 is unheard of. However, that does mean that there are going to be some limitations and I think that is what gives these figures a semi-dated look. If these had come out 10 years ago they would have been gobbled up, but in a HT run world not many appreciate the work that goes into figures like this.

Having said that I wonder if starting with a new basebody (on future figures) might help. I don't know what is currently being used, but it seems that if the body has strange proportions (like the Sideshow Buck, or Hasbro GI Joe) then the clothing also suffer the same issues.

It might drive up the cost, but the Headplay (no name bodies) are a great alternative the TrueType (being a very good copy) and as a base for the figures might lead to a better looking end product.

Good luck with the future releases, I'm interested to see what's coming next.

Back