Best/Favorite Spy Films

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

civiclx

Super Freak
Reaction score
I'm looking for some new ones to check out so I'm curious as to what some of you guys call your favorites
:wave

Not all technically spy movies, but these are all spy-ish/suspense thriller movies that I like--3 Days of the Condor, Marathon Man, the Falcon and the Snowman, Black Sunday, Day of the Jackal, Munich, Syriana, and maybe the most harrowing spy movie I've seen--the Spy Who Came In from the Cold. The Conversation doesn't really have an international political angle, but it is extremely effective at capturing the paranoia you would imagine would go hand in hand with being a spy.

man_who_knew_too_little.jpg

Done.

Spy games
recently saw "This Mean War" in theaters and while its comedy mostly the guys are CIA agents does that count?

"I would liked to have seen Montana."

Capt. Vasili Borodin: "I will live in Montana. And I will marry a round American woman and raise rabbits, and she will cook them for me. And I will have a pickup truck... maybe even a recreational vehicle. And drive from state to state. Do they let you do that?"

"Crazy Ivans"

Last edited:
Give Burn Notice a try. Not a movie ... TV show on USA about an ex-spook that was blacklisted by the CIA in the first episode. He does independent "problem solver" work in Miami -- he can't travel due to being flagged -- to make ends meet while he investigates why he was "burned". I think its in Season 5 at the moment. Solid spy show.

24 is also great if you haven't seen it. More counterterrorist than "spy" ... but definitely related to the Bond and Bourne genre. Bauer can keep up with the best of them. The first 13 episodes of Season 1 are still among the best 13 hours of television I've ever seen.

"Burn After Reading" is an amusing anti-spy movie ... espionage story where nothing is at stake, nobody acts intelligently, everything ends poorly, and there are no lessons to learn from it.

"Breach". True story of the takedown of Robert Hanssen -- Soviet double agent working in the FBI.

"Sleeper Cell". Showtime TV show. Also counterterrorism.

"Red". Actually haven't seen it ... but I've heard really good things.

SnakeDoc

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I think I have only seen The Hunt For Red October once a long time ago so I may have to put that in my cart at amazon. Have not heard of the Bill Murray one but it sounds funny. On the topic of comedy, how are the OSS films?

Snake, have seen Burn After Reading and thought it was pretty funny. the Simmons guy from Farmers was pretty funny.

Red was a lot of fun and I really like Breach. The fact that it's based on a fairly recent true story makes it better.

I also liked Fair Game with Naomi Watts and Sean Penn.

Not looking to commit to a tv series right now but I have heard good things about 24 and Burn Notice. My dad really likes Burn Notice.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions:)

It's not Bill Murray's best. But it is a guilty pleasure of mine!

I found "24" to be boring. Too prolonged of a story. I think it could have benefited from a shorter season. Might have been the hype of it all. I dunno. I'm in the minority but just voicing my opinion.

"Burn Notice" IS good. See my avatar! I'm too lazy to change it. It's not my favorite ever show but it is a fun one. I love the characters and humor most of all. Sometimes the action surprises you too in how good it is but USUALLY it's as tame and gimmicky as "MacGyver."

I hated "Burn After Reading." They should call it "Shoot After Watching."

Back