Anybody have an Apple TV, or can you suggest one?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scarver

Super Freak
Reaction score
I'm looking around for one on Ebay, but I'm a little behind the times on the Apple TV. I know I don't want a jailbroken one, but other than that, I'm not sure what to pick up. Can anybody steer me in the right direction? Thanks! :)

The new ones are great and pretty affordable. Do you want to store media on the device like the old ones or just stream from iTunes etc?

I'd like to be able to store media as well. It's going to be a gift for my sister, so I'm trying not to screw it up. :lol

I wish apple would just nut up on the HD crap already. The whole competition thing with Itunes is crap.

You know why they are doing it? They are going to unviel and apple TV of course. That way you have to buy their TV to have access to HD features. :lecture

You know why they are doing it? They are going to unviel and apple TV of course. That way you have to buy their TV to have access to HD features. :lecture

I see this rumor a lot and I think it's absolutely ridiculous. Think of all the crap that needs to hook up to a TV. Apple doesn't want a product that needs to universally support every device out there. They don't want to make a product that has a bunch of cables plugged into it either. Not to mention that the margins on TV sales are really low. There's no way Apple is ever going to want to get into the TV manufacturing game.

To the OP - None of the current Apple TVs have local storage. You'd have to hunt down the old, slow, no longer supported version for that. Get the new one. It's $99 and has Netflix and iTunes. You can store the files on your computer and stream them on your local network if you are concerned about internet usage.

Or get one of those Roku gizmos that has Netflix, Amazon, and a plethora of other apps but doesn't have iTunes.

I see this rumor a lot and I think it's absolutely ridiculous. Think of all the crap that needs to hook up to a TV. Apple doesn't want a product that needs to universally support every device out there. They don't want to make a product that has a bunch of cables plugged into it either. Not to mention that the margins on TV sales are really low. There's no way Apple is ever going to want to get into the TV manufacturing game.

To the OP - None of the current Apple TVs have local storage. You'd have to hunt down the old, slow, no longer supported version for that. Get the new one. It's $99 and has Netflix and iTunes. You can store the files on your computer and stream them on your local network if you are concerned about internet usage.

Or get one of those Roku gizmos that has Netflix, Amazon, and a plethora of other apps but doesn't have iTunes.

Ummm have you read the Steve Jobs book? One of the last things he worked on was apple TV and quoted as saying "I finally cracked it.". There is no question they will come out with TV's IMO. I believe they also registered for a bunch of patents. Its just a matter of when IMO. Maybe a year maybe two.

"I'd like to create an integrated television set that is completely easy to use," Jobs told his biographer. "It would be seamlessly synched with all of your devices and with iCloud. It will have the simplest user interface you could imagine. I finally cracked it." Jobs -

Ummm have you read the Steve Jobs book? One of the last things he worked on was apple TV and quoted as saying "I finally cracked it.". There is no question they will come out with TV's IMO. I believe they also registered for a bunch of patents. Its just a matter of when IMO. Maybe a year maybe two.

"I'd like to create an integrated television set that is completely easy to use," Jobs told his biographer. "It would be seamlessly synched with all of your devices and with iCloud. It will have the simplest user interface you could imagine. I finally cracked it." Jobs -

I haven't read the book yet (it's on my todo list, but I've been put off by some of the reported technical errors). I have heard that quote and I still stand by what I said. Even if that quote means what you're suggesting, it will take a long time to get from Jobs' idea to a final product. The iPad was developed before the iPhone, we see how that worked out. Not to mention, Jobs isn't running Apple anymore. Anything can happen. I wouldn't put too much stock in an idea mentioned in Jobs' bio and I certainly wouldn't make any purchasing decisions on it.

As for the patents, Apple has about a gazzillion patents that aren't always tied to shipping products, as do most tech companies.

I dunno, anything could happen, but I'd be very surprised if Apple released a giant display for people to replace their televisions with.

The most use I get out of my Apple TV is streaming stuff from my iPhone and iPad. If I have a YouTube video or something I filmed with my phone camera, I can just tap it and it starts to play on the big screen. It's handy.

I haven't read the book yet (it's on my todo list, but I've been put off by some of the reported technical errors). I have heard that quote and I still stand by what I said. Even if that quote means what you're suggesting, it will take a long time to get from Jobs' idea to a final product. The iPad was developed before the iPhone, we see how that worked out. Not to mention, Jobs isn't running Apple anymore. Anything can happen. I wouldn't put too much stock in an idea mentioned in Jobs' bio and I certainly wouldn't make any purchasing decisions on it.

As for the patents, Apple has about a gazzillion patents that aren't always tied to shipping products, as do most tech companies.

I dunno, anything could happen, but I'd be very surprised if Apple released a giant display for people to replace their televisions with.

That's the thing though. People said for years that apple won't release a pad and that it would be too expensive and consumers wouldn't get it. Look how that turned out.

It's an interesting debate though. I would probably be interested in purchasing one if it ever comes to fruition.

If Apple released a big screen TV for the living room, it would probably be 720p and somehow incompatible with Blu-ray players.
And 4 times the price of a same size TV that has 1080p from a major TV maker.

Back