Captain America 2: The Winter Soldier (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Captain America 2: The Winter Soldier

They've already gone on record saying they are going to Bond the all the roles, so you better just get used to the idea that IM isn't always going to be RDJr.

They've already gone on record saying they are going to Bond the all the roles, so you better just get used to the idea that IM isn't always going to be RDJr.

Nah, like I said, I'll just be done with Marvel then. It's not a big deal. These aren't the best movies ever made. They're kinda fun summer movies.

I get that it's really about Tony Stark, but every actor brings a huge part of themselves to the role. Joel Kinnamin VS Peter Weller, Sean Connery VS Roger Moore. An actor can alter a character drastically. I have no interest in sitting down to bing watch the Iron Man series some day only to all the sudden be watching Matt Dillion barely be able to keep up with the supporting cast in IM4. Or Matt Dillion alongside Evans, Ruffalo, Jackson all the sudden in an Avengers. Stark's presense would be reduced drastically.

Anyway, you can't Bond this role. Doesn't work anymore, he's part of a larger universe with returning actors. And he's not a random secret agent who could be just a title. He is the only Tony Stark. Feige will learn that the hard way.

Feige should also Google OHMSS and Diamonds are Forever. Even Bond didn't succesfully Bond their roles.

Last edited:

Nah, like I said, I'll just be done with Marvel then. It's not a big deal. These aren't the best movies ever made. They're kinda fun summer movies.

I get that it's really about Tony Stark, but every actor brings a huge part of themselves to the role. Joel Kinnamin VS Peter Weller, Sean Connery VS Roger Moore. An actor can alter a character drastically. I have no interest in sitting down to bing watch the Iron Man series some day only to all the sudden be watching Matt Dillion barely be able to keep up with the supporting cast in IM4. Or Matt Dillion alongside Evans, Ruffalo, Jackson all the sudden in an Avengers. Stark's presense would be reduced drastically.

Anyway, you can't Bond this role. Doesn't work anymore, he's part of a larger universe with returning actors. And he's not a random secret agent who could be just a title. He is the only Tony Stark. Feige will learn that the hard way.

Feige should also Google OHMSS and Diamonds are Forever. Even Bond didn't succesfully Bond their roles.

And while some of the actors were better Bonds than others, I don't think any of them owned the character to the degree that RDJr. has with Stark. Some actors are too closely associated with their characters. Harrison Ford is Han Solo and Indiana Jones. The idea of Bradley Cooper being the next Indiana Jones makes me throw up in my mouth a little. And I like Bradley Cooper. Robert Downey Jr. has made the character his and I think anybody taking over the Stark role just won't be accepted.

I can agree with you on both of those counts. Definitely darker and better than the first :duff

Right on. :gun Ha, it just occurred to me that TSW ad ESB actually both

Spoiler Spoiler:

I'm actually glad they're doing it that way. It won't be much different than certain "runs" in the comics with various artist/writer combinations that stay part of an ongoing series. I don't want to see Cap in WWII drinking the super soldier serum every few years because they constantly reboot the character with new actors. Bonding them out is the way to go to keep the stories moving forward. I have a feeling I'll always be partial to Evans Cap, RDJ IM, and so on but now that those guys have great movies under their belts I'm open to seeing new actors inheriting the roles down the line.

Last edited:

While I don't envy the guy that will try to fill RDJr's shoes, it really is the only way to go if you want to keep the characters around. You can't just keep rebooting. I don't feel they should have done that with Spider-man, but the way they are making plans to build a Spideyverse makes me think they won't reboot again at least. Recasting isn't the best thing, but its necessary at some point if you don't want to erase everything they've established.

Looking at it like different artists taking over is a great way to look at it. That happens in the comics all the time, but the characters are still the same (albeit everyone puts their own little spins on them).

Currently waiting for my 2nd viewing to start. I need my fix!

In any case, I do feel just like Cap1, Cap2 will play the biggest factor in this phase to set up the Avengers film. Thor 2 really did nothing this time around as far as I can tell at this point. IM3 had the potential but I think the ending really didn't set up anything there. Caps 2 definitely sets the stage for a great threat to strike the world now. Who knows if Guardians will play into anything other than possibly setting up Thanos further for Avengers 3.

My guess are:

Thor 2, i'm certain baddies have taken advantage of the open interdimensional portals leading them to the beacon eminating from Loki's sceptor.

IM3 already affected Cap 2 and Avengers 2, Malibu home base was destroyed, Stark tower already changed over to Avengers tower in NYC. Then when you add in his drone technology into the mix, Ultron comes to mind.

I don't believe those 2 movies plot lines will be irrelevant.

My guess are:

Thor 2, i'm certain baddies have taken advantage of the open interdimensional portals leading them to the beacon eminating from Loki's sceptor.

IM3 already affected Cap 2 and Avengers 2, Malibu home base was destroyed, Stark tower already changed over to Avengers tower in NYC. Then when you add in his drone technology into the mix, Ultron comes to mind.

I don't believe those 2 movies plot lines will be irrelevant.

Phase II has really shaken up a number of Phase I staples.

Spoiler Spoiler:

:rock:rock:rock

Just got back from my second viewing! :yess:

Lucky!

They've already Bonded out Rhodey's character. Only a matter of time before they do that with one of the A-listers (heck I guess they even did that with Norton.) Many people thought Nicholson's Joker was definitive until Ledger came along. I'm not saying that's the norm but time has shown that fans are open to new blood for their favorite heroes and villains.

Last edited:

Just got back from my 2nd viewing and there are 2 things that kinda bothered me, if someone could make some sense of this, maybe I missed something.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Other than that, still all good.

I just got back from my 4th, what does that make me. :lol

They've already Bonded out Rhodey's character. Only a matter of time before they do that with one of the A-listers (heck I guess they even did that with Norton.) Many people thought Nicholson's Joker was definitive until Ledger came along. I'm not saying that's the norm but time has shown that fans are open to new blood for their favorite heroes and villains.

Please, for the love awf God, no more superhero reboot origin stories. :lol

Unless its about T800/1000. :lol

I lost all interest in the character when that happened. Cheadle does nothing for me.

Here's my quick review:

Just got back!!!

And this was.....

Ridiculously good. I'm done with the number rating system, so I'll just say that it was awesome. Arguably the best Marvel film to date. My previous fave was probably Iron Man or the Avengers. (And I'll still argue that they are, if you catch me on the 'right' day.) But this movie just did everything right. We'll put it this way, by FAR, the best Marvel sequel to date. (Even better than SM2, IMO.) This movie did everything right. Sure, you can criticize it here and there (lots of bullets flying everywhere, not hitting a mark, etc.) But overall, what a show. I didn't care for the CA: TFA much. I liked it. Didn't love it. But this makes me want to watch that again, which speaks volumes.

The whole Winter Soldier story was well told, IMO. I thought he had just enough screen time, such that I'm anxious to see his next moves. And supporting characters, like the Falcon, looked GREAT on screen. (Really sets the bar for Sony if they ever decide to tackle the Vulture.)

ScarJo was flawless, IMO. I don't think she gets enough credit. She really pulls off the role so well. I thought see was overshadowed a bit in the Avengers (for obvious reasons, when you have CA, Thor, Hulk, and IM running around.) But this movie I think really proves that with the right cast, she can easily hold the audience's attention should the character ever get a film of her own.

I liked the Hydra twist. And the nods to last installment, bringing back some of the players, etc. (Avoiding spoilers for those who haven't seen it.)

And then there was Evans. Again, if anyone ever doubted that he was Captain America, I think that'll be gone soon. This guy embodies the character, IMO. He pulls it off with the looks and the attitude. I can't get over how well he does. Before it was all about Downey and Stark, but man, I can honestly say from a source material standpoint, Evans is about as good as you're going to get. Just awesome.

I hope this film gets the praise it deserves. I can be picky, with a few gripes, but honestly, it's not even worth my time because there was so much done right. This movie is worthy of the Marvel title and more. I hope it does well (and know it will.) If the third film continues in stride, this will be shape up to be the best Marvel trilogy to date, IMO. Of course, there's still plenty of potential with the Avengers, so it's hard to say. But as much as I loved Iron Man's run of three, it'll be taking a backseat here soon, if this sequel is any prediction.

Just saw it and thought it was great, just behind IM1 and TA

Who was that dude in the first after credit scene baron Von something or other and was QS and SW right?

I returned from my third viewing this weekend. A great flick......WS is up with Loki being a favorite villain...very we'll done.

The MCU will have actor casualties just based off the premise alone of long term shared characters.

Paul Walker's death is an extreme example, but actors will be lost, and gained.

Some changes will work, some won't.

I for one will not be walking away from the MCU if RDJ is replaced.

Here's my quick review:

Just got back!!!

And this was.....

Ridiculously good. I'm done with the number rating system, so I'll just say that it was awesome. Arguably the best Marvel film to date. My previous fave was probably Iron Man or the Avengers. (And I'll still argue that they are, if you catch me on the 'right' day.) But this movie just did everything right. We'll put it this way, by FAR, the best Marvel sequel to date. (Even better than SM2, IMO.) This movie did everything right. Sure, you can criticize it here and there (lots of bullets flying everywhere, not hitting a mark, etc.) But overall, what a show. I didn't care for the CA: TFA much. I liked it. Didn't love it. But this makes me want to watch that again, which speaks volumes.

The whole Winter Soldier story was well told, IMO. I thought he had just enough screen time, such that I'm anxious to see his next moves. And supporting characters, like the Falcon, looked GREAT on screen. (Really sets the bar for Sony if they ever decide to tackle the Vulture.)

ScarJo was flawless, IMO. I don't think she gets enough credit. She really pulls off the role so well. I thought see was overshadowed a bit in the Avengers (for obvious reasons, when you have CA, Thor, Hulk, and IM running around.) But this movie I think really proves that with the right cast, she can easily hold the audience's attention should the character ever get a film of her own.

I liked the Hydra twist. And the nods to last installment, bringing back some of the players, etc. (Avoiding spoilers for those who haven't seen it.)

And then there was Evans. Again, if anyone ever doubted that he was Captain America, I think that'll be gone soon. This guy embodies the character, IMO. He pulls it off with the looks and the attitude. I can't get over how well he does. Before it was all about Downey and Stark, but man, I can honestly say from a source material standpoint, Evans is about as good as you're going to get. Just awesome.

I hope this film gets the praise it deserves. I can be picky, with a few gripes, but honestly, it's not even worth my time because there was so much done right. This movie is worthy of the Marvel title and more. I hope it does well (and know it will.) If the third film continues in stride, this will be shape up to be the best Marvel trilogy to date, IMO. Of course, there's still plenty of potential with the Avengers, so it's hard to say. But as much as I loved Iron Man's run of three, it'll be taking a backseat here soon, if this sequel is any prediction.

:rock :rock

great review

I returned from my third viewing this weekend. A great flick......WS is up with Loki being a favorite villain...very we'll done.

:rock :rock

Back