Captain America 2: The Winter Soldier (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FINALLY saw this again in amazing IMAX 3D.

What. A. Movie.

This is seriously a "Top 3" of all time film for me. Hell it just might be #1.

Real quick though, did you guys all notice the "Ezekial 25:17 And the path of a righteous man..." on Nick Fury's tombstone? That was the verse he always quoted in Pulp Fiction. Right on! :rock

But seriously, I love everything about this movie, and it just moves.

It really elevates above all other superhero films IMO. So many little things like the bit with Fury telling Steve about his grandfather. Finally (in a Marvel movie at least) it seemed like real people were living and talking in a real world rather than exchanging token "comic book movie" dialogue. Man Fury was great in this movie.

I think I thought Peggy scene and final battle with Bucky were even more emotional this time around. It was crushing (no pun intended) to watch Steve break his best friend's one good arm.

The action, the pacing, the characters, the great "comic book" moments. The Falcon jump didn't bother me as much this time, I actually though it was more hokey that their parked SUV on the freeway got slammed by a Hummer going what, 60 mph and did no significant damage? But that's it.

I hope people can really savor the greatness we got in this film and don't move too quickly to "the next thing" even if it's Cap 3 or Avengers 2. Oooh, what are they setting up now? What's his new suit going to look like? If this was the 70's or 80's we'd have several years before any of these characters turned up again in a sequel. Obviously people can enjoy what they want but for the sake of what this film accomplished I hope a good number of people can really camp out with this one for a while. I know I will.

It really did feel real, didn't it? Even Sitwell. We see him in one of the shorts, I believe Iron Man 2, several episodes of Agents of SHIELD, and this, and how's he go? Literally a split second of him screaming as he's rammed into by a semi-truck. It's so uneventful that it just works, and I love it. That's what makes it feel real. Most people don't get dramatic deaths in real life, and Sitwell's exemplary of that.

Part of what makes this movie so strong is how well it is tied to current events. The gov't wanting to help so much that it ends up hurting the very people it is trying to protect. Cap is the perfect character to fight against this, no matter what the cost, he only sees right and wrong. There's no gray area for him and even though some can't see it like he does, he fights anyway. Great movie, and I will be enjoying this film for a long, long time.

The most dramatic deaths in the Marvel U are rarely actual deaths--Coulson, Loki, Fury. . .

Having said that, Winter Soldier didn't feel very real to me. It felt like a good comic book, though.

It really did feel real, didn't it? Even Sitwell. We see him in one of the shorts, I believe Iron Man 2, several episodes of Agents of SHIELD, and this, and how's he go? Literally a split second of him screaming as he's rammed into by a semi-truck. It's so uneventful that it just works, and I love it. That's what makes it feel real. Most people don't get dramatic deaths in real life, and Sitwell's exemplary of that.

:exactly: :exactly: :exactly:

They timed the release of Cap's ass-kicking against the pirates perfectly. I just watched Captain Phillips for the first time about a month ago and it was a thrill to see him throwing down on those bastards. :lol

Having said that, Winter Soldier didn't feel very real to me. It felt like a good comic book, though.

Well let me say that I felt it achieved a level of verisimilitude rarely seen in comic book films. Kind of like going from the CG Clone Wars cartoon to the live-action OT. ALL of it is pure fantasy but the OT has real actors, footage, etc., and therefore feels more "real."

I felt a similar step up in that regard compared to other Marvel films (though the first Iron Man came pretty close.)

Well let me say that I felt it achieved a level of verisimilitude rarely seen in comic book films. Kind of like going from the CG Clone Wars cartoon to the live-action OT. ALL of it is pure fantasy but the OT has real actors, footage, etc., and therefore feels more "real."

I felt a similar step up in that regard compared to other Marvel films (though the first Iron Man came pretty close.)

Agreed. On one hand it doesn't take much to be more realistic than anything with Thor in it, but I really appreciated their attempt to tie it in to something alot more relevant and controversial. Iron Man did have a similar layer of critique on government/corporate collusion and corruption. One reviewer wrote something I sort of agree with, that while Cap 2 was an excellent superhero movie, it was a "mediocre" espionage film. As cool as TWS is, it won't hold a candle to how hard a movie like Munich hit me when I saw it. The exaggerated nature of CBMs keep them from being too honest about human affairs.

I'll tell you what though, it's a great palate cleanser after the fluffy Thor sequel (which I liked) and Ironic Man 3 (which I did not like). Phase Two finally has movie with enough weight to serve as an anchor. Guardians can be the cherry on top, no pressure now.

What. A. Movie.

Real quick though, did you guys all notice the "Ezekial 25:17 And the path of a righteous man..." on Nick Fury's tombstone? That was the verse he always quoted in Pulp Fiction. Right on! :rock

But seriously, I love everything about this movie, and it just moves.

It really elevates above all other superhero films IMO. So many little things like the bit with Fury telling Steve about his grandfather. Finally (in a Marvel movie at least) it seemed like real people were living and talking in a real world rather than exchanging token "comic book movie" dialogue. Man Fury was great in this movie.

I think I thought Peggy scene and final battle with Bucky were even more emotional this time around. It was crushing (no pun intended) to watch Steve break his best friend's one good arm.

The action, the pacing, the characters, the great "comic book" moments. The Falcon jump didn't bother me as much this time, I actually though it was more hokey that their parked SUV on the freeway got slammed by a Hummer going what, 60 mph and did no significant damage? But that's it.

I hope people can really savor the greatness we got in this film and don't move too quickly to "the next thing" even if it's Cap 3 or Avengers 2. Oooh, what are they setting up now? What's his new suit going to look like? If this was the 70's or 80's we'd have several years before any of these characters turned up again in a sequel. Obviously people can enjoy what they want but for the sake of what this film accomplished I hope a good number of people can really camp out with this one for a while. I know I will.

Yeah, the scene where Fury was talking about his grand dad and the lunch bag with the revolver just felt real. It didn't seem like forced exposition that's in so many of these type of movies.

What. A. Movie.

Real quick though, did you guys all notice the "Ezekial 25:17 And the path of a righteous man..." on Nick Fury's tombstone? That was the verse he always quoted in Pulp Fiction. Right on!.

You don't honestly believe SJ Fury is a righteous man do you? and Why hasn't anybody mentioned (but me) Arnim Zola cleary say "NEW WORLD ORDER" ...it sure seemed like Hydra was playing metaphorically the "secret" "Snakehead" of world rule and domination

Yeah, the scene where Fury was talking about his grand dad and the lunch bag with the revolver just felt real. It didn't seem like forced exposition that's in so many of these type of movies.

Yeah. Other examples were Peggy's "you're always so dramatic" and Falcon's "did you really say that off of the top of your head or did you write that down?" Normally in superhero movies people make dramatic comments or speeches and people accept it because, well, it's a superhero movie. But I liked that the film paid tribute to that type of dialogue but still gave a "real world" wink to it.

They just nailed the details. I even liked the sci-fi beeps that the SHIELD elevator made. So ominous in an old school kind of way.

As cool as TWS is, it won't hold a candle to how hard a movie like Munich hit me when I saw it. The exaggerated nature of CBMs keep them from being too honest about human affairs.

I hear you but by the same token I really got a "Captain Phillips" vibe from the opening as I mentioned earlier. Not as powerful as that real life drama of course but I still felt I was watching how that situation might play out in the MCU and loved every minute of it.

Just that people are even comparing this to Munich or All the President's Men is amazing. Of course it isn't those movies, as far as "espionage" goes it's basically something you'd see in Moonraker. Tearing down the world to create a new one, death ships, supervillains with metal implants, etc. It's the most badass 1970's Roger Moore flick ever made, so much so that people can't help but mention it in the same breath with truly grabbing real world dramas. What a feat for a high-flying superhero movie.

I really want Red Skull to come back in all this. He's been underused in this film universe in my opinion.

With all the heroes teaming up in these films, surely we'll see the villains do the same? I'd love to see Skull conversing with Loki or what have you. That'd be pretty lame if that cosmic cube killed him. I always thought it transported him to another world.

I really want Red Skull to come back in all this. He's been underused in this film universe in my opinion.

With all the heroes teaming up in these films, surely we'll see the villains do the same? I'd love to see Skull conversing with Loki or what have you. That'd be pretty lame if that cosmic cube killed him. I always thought it transported him to another world.

I've thought that since day one as well. No way he's dead.

Being that the Tesseract is a doorway, I always thought it transported him to somewhere in the 9 realms - perfect for him to team up with Loki or Thanos even. Bringing him back wouldn't be a bad thing.

I was thinking the same thing about Skull. In the comics, he's a pretty major bad-ass. Frankly, without Doom and Magneto, he's one of the biggest baddies Marvel Studios has. Hopefully he will come back, even if he's played by a different actor.

I guess it would've been too obvious making Pierce the RS.

In a ways i'm happy he ended up not being him.

But if no RS in Cap 2, then when? AOU?

@Frank, I'm not so certain if the political espionage drama was as shallow as you described, I just think it was simply painted in broad strokes.

Hell, there were 3 assasination attempts made and one succeeded had it not been for Banner's drug.

I also like that President Ellis was the narrator at the museum, same President from IM3.

He was too busy being kidnapped. :lol

Back