Captain America 2: The Winter Soldier (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cut 'Steve Rogers'/'Hawkeye' Fight Scene For CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER Revealed

We've heard a lot about the original plan to include Jeremy Renner's Hawkeye in Captain America: The Winter Soldier, but now co-director Joe Russo has revealed specific details about what it would have entailed...who came out on top when the two Avengers went toe to toe? Find out here!

By Josh Wilding - 9/2/2014

We've heard a lot about plans for Hawkeye to originally make an appearance in Captain America: The Winter Soldier, but Screen Rant are the first to ask directors Joe and Anthony Russo about what the scene involving Jeremy Renner would have entailed. It sounds like a fantastic sequence as Steve Rogers would have found himself on the run from Clint Barton with a fight between the two revealing that the archer was in fact loyal to his Avengers teammate. It would also go some way in explaining why Cap ditched his S.H.I.E.L.D. suit (though that was actually addressed in a deleted scene on the DVD and Blu-ray). While it's hard to imagine a variation of this scene happening now, hopefully Renner will indeed make an appearance in Captain America 3...

What it was going to be, we were trying to complicate the relationship between Cap and his S.H.I.E.L.D agent friends. If Hawkeye got a call from S.H.I.E.L.D saying Captain America is a fugitive, would he listen to that call or not listen to that call? That sequence actually was heartbreaking for us to cut it. I think it ultimately might have been a conflict with Renner’s schedule. But there was a great sequence where Hawkeye was chasing Cap through Washington D.C. there was an awesome sequence where they confronted each other in a ravine on the outskirts of D.C. and Hawkeye was shooting a series of arrows closing in on Cap, Cap closing in on him. And then Cap took him down and he realized for the first time that Hawkeye was trying to trick S.H.I.E.L.D, where he whispered something into Cap’s ear that Cap had a tracker on his suit and to punch Hawkeye to make it look real, because there was a Quinjet hovering above where they were watching the feedback back at S.H.I.E.L.D. So it was a cool sequence.
Source: Screen Rant

It sounds like it might have been a cool scene buy Hawkeye's likability has been on life-support for a while now and I don't think that would have helped. He was ordered to get ready to take out Thor in Thor, then Loki used him to attack the Avengers, THEN he was going to be instructed to go after Cap? I think that would have been a bit much for what little heroism and dignity his character still has left. :lol

It sounds like it might have been a cool scene buy Hawkeye's likability has been on life-support for a while now and I don't think that would have helped. He was ordered to get ready to take out Thor in Thor, then Loki used him to attack the Avengers, THEN he was going to be instructed to go after Cap? I think that would have been a bit much for what little heroism and dignity his character still has left. :lol

:exactly: He's the only one Joss could kill off and everybody (except for Ween) would be fine with it. :lol

Thankfully they didn't include that scene as it would have been ridiculous and served no purpose but to further complicate the already over-reaching plot.

Might have been best for the purpose of pacing that it wasn't done, but I would have liked to see something that gave Hawkeye a bit of personality and individuality. That scene would have given us more of that than anything else we've seen thus far.

That scene would have given us more of that than anything else we've seen thus far.

But it would also have painted Hawkeye in a dimwitted light, which would have been detrimental to the character. I know these mix-ups and misunderstanding happen all the time in the comics, but I think it would have just come off really pointless and for lack os a better word, stupid, in the movie. Now, that's not to say that the character shouldn't have made an appearance. But I also understand that Marvel don't want to make every movie a mini-Avengers flick.

Well that would depend on execution IMO. They would need to effectively show that Hawkeye had no choice but to act and deceive SHIELD, but that could be done.

Well that would depend on execution IMO. They would need to effectively show that Hawkeye had no choice but to act and deceive SHIELD, but that could be done.

Are we still talking about the same thing? ;) Do you mean "having no choice to act because he was deceived by SHIELD?" - when I said "stupid" I meant for Hawkeye to believe that Captain America and Nick Fury were somehow the terrorists. It just doesn't fit and any explanation would likely be so contrived that it would stick out sorely. That would have been a heavy burden on the movie that would further dilute the Winter Soldier concept/character and probably why they left it out. Aside from this then you'd still be left with the issue of what more to do with the character - he wouldn't just go "oh, sorry, my bad" and then leave the movie. So you end up with another character helping the heroes fight and the entire battle suddenly seems even more of a cakewalk than it already was. Just too many problems going down that rabbit hole.

So that's what I was referring to.

It would have made Hawkeye look dimwitted to see through the BS and help Cap? :lol

Good thinking there Piper. :cuckoo:

It would have made Hawkeye look dimwitted to see through the BS and help Cap? :lol

Dimwitted to NOT help him, but to be against him at any point. Did you not read the original post? Seriously this reply comes after a post that clearly says the opposite of what you're insinuating. Is there an eclipse today?

No, I'm referring to this. From Spartan's post, it seems like Hawkeye never believed Cap was the terrorist, and had to deceive SHIELD:

And then Cap took him down and he realized for the first time that Hawkeye was trying to trick S.H.I.E.L.D, where he whispered something into Cap’s ear that Cap had a tracker on his suit and to punch Hawkeye to make it look real, because there was a Quinjet hovering above where they were watching the feedback back at S.H.I.E.L.D. So it was a cool sequence.
Source: Screen Rant

I don't know, Fury and BW and Falcon came off as defiant badasses for forsaking SHIELD and helping Cap. Hawkeye telling Cap to pretend to hit him because a quinjet was watching would have probably made him look like a big wuss. He wanted to help Cap but was afraid of repercussions from the bad guys? ****y. :lol

"Cap pretend to hit me. A quinjet is watching. I'm scared."

"Dude, I'm not gonna hit you." *throws shield and knocks quinjet out of sky* "Yeah, um, catch you later Clint. *Cap runs off and rejoins his badass partners*

Dimwitted to NOT help him, but to be against him at any point. Did you not read the original post? Seriously this reply comes after a post that clearly says the opposite of what you're insinuating. Is there an eclipse today?

The post said he was 'faking the fight' to warn Cap.

I'd have to see the sequence fleshed out to decide whether or not it would work. I could see it potentially adding to Hawkeye, who is otherwise bland and forgettable. I'm a sucker for character interaction, so depending on how it played on screen, I might have dug seeing him let Cap get away and subtlety showing that they're on the same team.

Back