MMS164 - Iron Man: Iron Monger Limited Edition Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm gonna pick up some nail polish remover too. Hopefully one of them will work. Because sending this figure back is the least desirable option. The shipping will be huge and fighting with the seller over reimbursing me for it is yet another headache I don't need.

What annoys me is that he claims he never noticed the stain even though he had the figure on display for awhile. Are you kidding me? It was the first thing i noticed right out of the box!

careful with that nail polish remover. That acetone will eat the paint away in seconds. Make sure to dilute it before use

I have a paint defect on my Mk IV helmet with black infill paint across the gold lower lip. I'll be interested to hear if a Magic Eraser approach works out.

View attachment 124142

If it's actually black overspill paint, you could carefully remove it with your nail or even a pencil tip. Just lightly scrape the black paint off the top without going deep enough to damage the gold.
Do it VERY carefully...

I'd employ Barry's suggestion before trying acetone, unless you have the paint match ready to go in case disaster strikes :lol

If it's actually black overspill paint, you could carefully remove it with your nail or even a pencil tip. Just lightly scrape the black paint off the top without going deep enough to damage the gold.
Do it VERY carefully...

Yes it is black paint from the mouth slit over the gold. Gently scraping it back is a sensible first option...thanks :)

I'm definitely saving the nail polish remover for a last resort--can anyone tell me how much water to use to dilute it?

The problem with trying to match the gray paint is that it has a metallic texture which, even if I could paint (which I can't) I couldn't match with some basic gray model paint. If I can't remove the spot my only hope is to try to figure out a way to "battle damage" that section...but I have no idea how. The thing is, I spent a lot of money on this figure and I don't want to go the return route and fight with the seller over return shipping...I may end up sending the headpiece to a customizer to repaint if worse comes to absolute worse. I'm picking up the Mr. Clean after work (it's 12:30 p.m. here) and will let you all know the results tonight.

Okay, so I scrubbed the stain with Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (the "extra power" version.) As you can see I got some interesting results. As I was scrubbing I noticed the white Mr. Clean pad beginning to blacken, so something was definitely coming off the figure. I also noticed the stain fading and expanding in area at the same time. It looks to me like the cleaner diluted the stain and blended it with the paint somehow. Either that, or the base coat paint on this figure is black and the cleaner simply removed some of the gray topcoat--which would mean that the original stain wasn't a stain at all but a spot of missing paint.

I'm actually happy with the way this figure looks now--it's a definite improvement in my eyes, and good enough now to keep, though I might try to "adjust" the black area further. The black now looks like natural battle damage rather than a circular stain, as it did before. It has the look of metal that's taken some heat damage.

But what do you guys think? Does it look even worse now to you, and you all believe I'm just rationalizing the pain away? Tell me the truth, because I really want to know. Should I scrub it some more? Should I go to the mattresses? (I mean, the acetone nail polish remover?)

I've included the before and after pics to illustrate.

Before:

Iron Monger 1.jpg

After:

Iron Monger 2.JPG

I agree, I think it looks better after. Could you include a pic a little further away and straight on, against the light background like the first?

I just want to see it a little more normal :lol

I wouldn't use the nail polish remover.. it is an extremely high risk strategy.

For some reason this guy doesn't want to take a good picture for me right now. One good thing, I guess, is that the stain doesn't photograph anywhere near so clearly as it did before the Mr. Clean treatment. Here are a couple more pictures, as clear as I can get with the light the way it is in my house right now.

Iron Monger 3.JPG

Iron Monger 4.JPG

Okay, so I scrubbed the stain with Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (the "extra power" version.) As you can see I got some interesting results.

Do you have any rubbing alcohol?
Or any zip kicker?
I have found that they can disperse certain stains when put onto a cloth and rubbed over.
Don't put any caustic cleaners on. Just try window cleaner, alcohol, zip kicker if you have any.
None of them should do any damage(And if in doubt, try rubbing them on the underside of the foot first just to see).
That mark could just be carbon from a pencil or a charcoal stick. It certainly smudged like carbon would.
Let us know how you get on.

I seriously need to pick this guy up. I've been debating on what to get next after Mark 42 and I think I'll pick this guy up. It'll look sweet with the new Mark III coming out and awesome next to Hulk.

I seriously need to pick this guy up. I've been debating on what to get next after Mark 42 and I think I'll pick this guy up. It'll look sweet with the new Mark III coming out and awesome next to Hulk.

Oh that would be awesome! He is on my top most wanted list as is Hulk. Love to see a review of him posed with some newer figures :wink1:

Oh that would be awesome! He is on my top most wanted list as is Hulk. Love to see a review of him posed with some newer figures :wink1:

It's a debate. I was thinking of getting the Mark II next but than I'm like Monger! Not exactly sure yet what I'm going to get as my next figure after 42. A collection update will be coming soon for sure!

Back