Ironman 1/4th Maquette paint apps- widespread problems?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think 14 pages in a thread warrants a reply from SS mods. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't see the Mods replying.

1% failure rate is about 28 (out of 2800) and I don't think there are 28 bad pieces posted here (I may be wrong). 1% failure rate is fine if you are producing millions. But the product here is "individually painted and finished, each with its own unique quality and detail that is the trademark of a handcrafted Sideshow Collectibles product", I think customers expect better quality, consistency and QC. You don't see customers of a 6 inch IM Hasbro toy making such complaints about bad paint jobs.

If customers receiving bad pieces can just drop by their office for a replacement, I don't think they will be so negative. With additional costs, time and risk (if the replacement is still a bad piece) involved, I think SS should consider on their sales recovery policy. I don't think keeping quiet about it or giving inconsistent replies helps.

I am very reluctant to order from SS because the thought of returning a bad piece for a replacement is too much (time and shipping costs).

No one from SS is going to respond to this thread. They would be treading on very thin ice if they did. Im sure many of them have seen this thread and read through it though. It would be pretty hard for them to save face coming on here and saying....sorry everyone, we dropped the ball AGAIN.

Chris

the other photo thread mentioned something about a halt on future deliveries/batches. Just hearsay for now, but hopefully a formal response / contingency plan is in the works

No one from SS is going to respond to this thread. They would be treading on very thin ice if they did. Im sure many of them have seen this thread and read through it though. It would be pretty hard for them to save face coming on here and saying....sorry everyone, we dropped the ball AGAIN.

Chris

I think SS and us are on different platforms.

- The Forum "Ask Sideshows": To SS means customers can ask but they need not reply. But to customers, we expect a reply.

- "individually painted and finished" : To SS it means "we hire individuals who can paint but not necessarily they can paint well"

- When SS says "each with its own unique quality and detail that is the trademark of a handcrafted Sideshow Collectibles product", they mean quality is never consistent.

I think we have misunderstood SS. :slap

- The Forum "Ask Sideshows": To SS means customers can ask but they need not reply. But to customers, we expect a reply.

- "individually painted and finished" : To SS it means "we hire individuals who can paint but not necessarily they can paint well"

- When SS says "each with its own unique quality and detail that is the trademark of a handcrafted Sideshow Collectibles product", they mean quality is never consistent.

I'm not sure if you know that this is not an official SS forum. It was set up by people who were passionate about sideshow collectibles i.e. collectors and not the company.

I can assure you that ordering from SS is an awesome experience.

I've actually ordered quite a bit and am very satisfied by the CS i have received over the years.

I did order the Mark VI Maquette and so far CS has been top notch.

I do not see why they are obligated to reply if they are in communication with their customers already :dunno

I think you are confused and think that SS MUST answer queries given to them on this Forum, when they don't.

We have the Ask SS section as a courtesy and sometimes of we are lucky and the reps (usually Dusty) have time and their busy schedule allows it, they may pop in to answer questions or just join in on the Forum. They are no obliged to do so.
They do so if they have time and can help, that is a bonus for us and a great thing for them to do, but people ahould not 'EXPECT' it to happen in this section or in every thread just because someone is moaning loudly about a product.

Please see this 'Official Ask SS' Thread created by the Admin of this Forum:
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27665

I would advise that those who wish to address specific issues/questions and want answers that they contact SS's Customer Services Dept rather than posting and moaning about them not coming here to answer questions. Telephone or email them, they will get back to you and help as much as they can.

Their CS is great and they are very helpful and will get back to you.
x :peace

Last edited:
All said but at the end Sideshow should improve their QC as I ve seen to many complains about painting and other kinds(Wolverine PF claws) of problems.
It is an unaceptable situation as they claim they sell premium collectable item so we should be treated like premium customers.
I really hope they fix this issues and at the end all thei lr loyal customers are happy but I still think they should adress about the problem and say that they know about it and they will try their best to not let something like this happen again as a big and serious company would do.

I think you are confused and think that SS MUST answer queries given to them on this Forum, when they don't.

We have the Ask SS section as a courtesy and sometimes of we are lucky and the reps (usually Dusty) have time and their busy schedule allows it, they may pop in to answer questions or just join in on the Forum. They are no obliged to do so.
They do so if they have time and can help, that is a bonus for us and a great thing for them to do, but people ahould not 'EXPECT' it to happen in this section or in every thread just because someone is moaning loudly about a product.

Please see this 'Official Ask SS' Thread created by the Admin of this Forum:
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27665

I would advise that those who wish to address specific issues/questions and want answers that they contact SS's Customer Services Dept rather than posting and moaning about them not coming here to answer questions. Telephone or email them, they will get back to you and help as much as they can.

Their CS is great and they are very helpful and will get back to you.
x :peace

I see, my fault on that.

Thanks for the clarifications. :wink1:

Sideshow should only respond to people that ordered and recieved this piece, the rest should buzz off.

Not disrespecting your opinion but I think Sideshow should adress about this matter to the general public. You have people flexpaying this and you have people like me on the wait list that are in the middle of all of this and we all deserve a position of a company of the size of Sideshow. You still have people that are now afraid of buying it from retailers because of these problems.
Most of us are worried to get one piece like that or that our other pre-orders are also problematic like this.
Imagine paying $1200 + Shipping + Custom fees on a Optimus Prime and getting a paint job like we have seen on a few $500 Iron Man posted here!
Just my 2 cents!

Last edited:
Not disrespecting your opinion but I think Sideshow should adress about this matter to the general public. You have people flexpaying this and you have people like me on the wait list that are in the middle of all of this and we all deserve a position of a company of the size of Sideshow. You still have people that are now afraid of buying it from retailers because of these problems.
Most of us are worried to get one piece like that or that our other pre-orders are also problematic like this.
Imagine paying $1200 + Shipping + Custom fees on a Optimus Prime and getting a paint job like we have seen on a few $500 Iron Man posted here!Just my 2 cents!

Which is what I have done...and what I am dreding :pray:

Chris

people should know, sideshow has had several problems with paint apps from the darkness lsb, to the 1:1 im bust, to the 1/4 scale im. imo, they should back the paint 100% on these known problematic pieces, even if it starts flaking a year or two down the road. but don't hold your breath, it's not going to happen. that is the main reason i have shied away from their most expensive pieces. their guarantee is time sensitive and not unconditional.

i have read something about delaying the replacements for quality control etc..
is it true or just rumours???

people should know, sideshow has had several problems with paint apps from the darkness lsb, to the 1:1 im bust, to the 1/4 scale im. imo, they should back the paint 100% on these known problematic pieces, even if it starts flaking a year or two down the road. but don't hold your breath, it's not going to happen. that is the main reason i have shied away from their most expensive pieces. their guarantee is time sensitive and not unconditional.

:lecture

Sideshow's track record on paint apps is one of the reasons why I wait until folks get in-hand pics before I buy, unless it's a must-have exclusive for me that requires me to pre-order ahead of time. I'm still waiting for Sideshow to make a nice movie-based Iron Man piece free of the flaws we've been seeing from their other works.

Apologies - didn't want to reply until I could find out what exactly was going on with this matter. Direct e-mails have been sent to those who have requested replacement pieces for their Mark VI Iron Man maquettes, explaining the replacement process. If you do receive (or have received) a piece that you are not satisfied with, be sure to contact our Returns department *immediately* (or go through your dealer if you purchased at a retailer), and they will get all the info out to you regarding the replacement process. Or, as always, you may opt for a full refund, rather than a replacement order, if you'd rather do that. If you do wish for a replacement, rest assured that your money will be refunded in the meantime, while the factory remakes the pieces (it's all explained in the direct e-mail). Hope this helps allay any fears about not being able to get a replacement!

Back