Dragonlance: Dragons of Autumn Twilight - the MOVIE

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midnight Joker

Freakalicious
Reaction score
Dragonlance-Logo.jpg

dragonlance.jpg

lance05.jpg

Yes, it is being done as I write this now. It will be animated instead of live action unfortunately, but I'm still excited to see how it turns out.

https://imdb.com/title/tt0825245/

https://www.dragonlance-movie.com/

https://www.dragonlanceforums.com/forums/index.php?

dragonlance15.jpg

lance17.jpg

lance34.jpg

600px-Sothinaction.JPG

Dragonlance: Dragons of Autumn Twilight is set to be the first worldwide theatrical movie release based on the Dragonlance campaign setting of Dungeons and Dragons. The first ever novel in the setting, Dragons of Autumn Twilight by co-creators Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman, is the basis for the movie. The screenplay adaptation is being handled by George Strayton, with creative assistance by Weis and Hickman, and Will Meugniot is directing. The movie will be done in animation and is being distributed by Paramount Studios.
The current cast is slated as:

Dragonlance64.jpg

Tanis Half-Elven - Michael Rosenbaum
Raistlin Majere - Kiefer Sutherland
Goldmoon - Lucy Lawless
Flint Fireforge / Fewmaster Toede - Fred Tatasciore
Tika Waylan - Michelle Trachtenberg
Caramon Majere - Rino Romano
Tasslehoff Burrfoot - Jason Marsden
Fizban The Fabulous - Neil Ross
Sturm Brightblade - Mark Worden
Riverwind / Gilthanas - Phil Lamarr
Bupu - Jentle Phoenix
Laurana - Caroline Gelabert
Takhisis - Nikka Futterman
The Forestmaster - Mari Weiss
Elistan - Ben McCain
Pyros - Dee Bradley Baker
Flamestrike - Susan Silo
Onyx - Juliette Cohen
As of July 2006, 90% of the voice acting has been completed. The animatic storyboard will be completed by the end of August 2006.

1120_dragonlance.jpg

Animation
According to co-executive producer Cindi Rice, "the movie [will] combine traditional 2D animation and computer-generated 3D elements."

todd_lockwood_the_dragonlance.jpg

Last edited:
Midnight Joker said:
wish it was live action.

remember reading the DragonLance Chronicles way back when.
But I really recall little about the stories.

that pic above used to be one of my all-time favorites though.

That pic was always one of my favorite too! I probably haven't seen it since I was a kid, but it is easily recognizable.

That pic was always one of my favorite too! I probably haven't seen it since I was a kid, but it is easily recognizable.

That is Lord Verminaard (Dragon Highlord-main bad dude of this movie) and his red dragon Pyros.

I think this pic was used for some computer game in the 80s.
Might of been popular in computer magazines of the time

occulum said:
wish it was live action.

remember reading the DragonLance Chronicles way back when.
But I really recall little about the stories.

that pic above used to be one of my all-time favorites though.

Its just the way it worked out. And there are tons of animated movies in the fantasy genre that have done very well. Lord of the rings started out this way, only made one movie and look where it is now! Granted it took them another 15 years to make the live action films afte the animated one. But have patientce, you will see a live action film for dragonlance one day.
Besides, I think animation can portray things a bit better than live action. Everything should look like it belongs in the animated film. In some live action fantasy films/tv shows, I find it really difficult to suspend my disbelief, and therefor don't enjoy watching it as much.

But yes a live action dragonlance would be nice.

Weta did a great job with the Nazgul Fellbeast riders.

Can you imagine some of the aerial battles from Dragonlance? The ground battles?

New Line has shown that there is an audience for fantasy movies, and they have also shown that if you put in the money and pay attention to detail that you will be rewarded.

The D&D movie from 2000 obviously sucked, so anyone who worked on that lemon would need to be banned from Dragonlance. Hopefully that taught an important lesson -- namely that you cannot sacrifice story and attention to detail if you want your movie to be good.

it'd be nice if Dragonlance was developed and Weta worked on it. Honestly, it'd have to be Weta with industrial light and magic on speciel effects, no one else does such good work. They'd also need to have Weis & Hickman involved with the storyline. I would hate for the story to be ruined by some idiot writer with a bunch of cliche one-liners.

Dragonlance-Movie.com has existed for a number of years now and they track rumors about the film.

I did read an interesting article that stated that DL is in no way near the the same literary standing as LOTR. Maybe so, maybe not. Again, I suppose we will just have to wait and see.

Personally, for me, this series could dethrone LOTR if the movies were made right.

It would be interesting to see how they'd make it, who would direct it and who'd they cast.

If a they do make a live action DL movie I hope it is more fantasy influanced then what LOTR was.

I think LOTR was too realistic in how it showed the magic and some of the fight sceans where to choppy and was hard to make out what was going on, This worked for LOTR but I dont think it would for DL.
For me I think it made the movies a bit boring.

Gandolf was shown as more as a fighter then mage he could of used more magic in battles (like in the video games) and the fight with Gandolf Vs saraman sucked.

With DL I hope they stick with how the magic in the books are described.

A 15th level mage in dragonlance would be spectacular on the big screen.
**** all over Harry Potter.

Also I hope that The Dragons are shown the way they look in the DL art and on books, The way Dragons are shown on movies are stupied.

If this movie (and the trilogy) does well there will be the possiblity of a live action movie as well as more animated trilogys (Legends)
and hopefully some decent collector figures. (who wouldnt want some of these figures??)

Everything I have heard so far about the movie is impressive.
the Dragonlance script was written as if it were going to be live-action. Some additional cuts and changes were made to better suit it for animation

If done correctly DL movies are a pot of gold waiting to be discovered

Q. What were the key challenges in adapting a 440-odd page novel into a feature length screenplay?

Once I was brought on board for Dragonlance, I discovered that there had been several attempts to bring the story to the big screen in the past. My understanding was that Margaret and Tracy weren't happy with the scripts for those projects. I decided immediately that I would write my adaptation to please only them -- not the studio, not the movie-goers, not the executive producers.

Needless to say, it was a daunting task. The script had to be 95 pages, which is short for a screenplay (which usually come in around 110 to 120 pages). Since each page equals one minute of screen time, we're talking a length of an hour and 35 minutes. That worried me. So I realized the most important thing would be to find the spine of Dragons of Autumn Twilight. Once I had that, I could add the scenes and sequences that fit with that spine until I was out of page-count.

I reread the novel three times in rapid succession, and then I read Margaret's and Tracy's notes in the Annotated Chronicles so I could better understand what they were thinking and feeling when they wrote the novel. They had mentioned that in writing this first Dragonlance book, they were constrained by the Dragonlance adventure modules, which had already been written. That caused the novel to have more of an episodic feel than they would've liked (they reversed this process for Dragons of Winter Night and the subsequent books so that the story came first).

As far as characters went, I knew Tanis was the key to everything. Once I fully understood and fleshed out his character arc, I had a better sense of what I could condense, cut out, and combine. My original draft came in at around 106 pages. I tried to keep it at that length, but for budgetary reasons, I was compelled to continue cutting until it came down to about 96. Further cuts have been done in the animatic and production stages to get it down to 90 minutes (some made by me, some not).

Q. How closely does the storyline of the film follow that of the book? Which areas needed the most work in adapting? And are there any major sequences which have been left out?

The plot follows the general structure of the book almost dead-on.

(SPOILER WARNING for those who haven't read the novel.)

We meet our heroes in Solace. They flee with the Staff. Run into draconians. Deal with the specters. Meet the Forest Master. Head to Xak Tsaroth. Encounter the Plainsmen's destroyed village. Sneak through Xak Tsaroth with the help of Bupu. Deal with Onyx. Return to Solace only to get captured by Fewmaster Toede. The companions are "rescued" by the elves of Qualinesti. Agree to undertake a dangerous mission into Pax Tharkas. They free the slaves and face a final encounter with Verminaard, Pyros, and the draconian army.

(End SPOILER WARNING.)

Most of the adapting was in crafting a central throughline. The filmic form demands clarity and simplicity (not that a story can't be complex, but the overall plot has to be clear and concise or you start losing your audience). I wanted the mission from the time the heroes get the staff until the final battle with Verminaard to feel like one story, as opposed to a series of episodes in which the heroes complete one objective and then take on an entirely new objective, unrelated to the first.

I also wanted the film to be rated PG-13, which is in keeping with the tone of the novel. This is a story for adults (13 and up) and I wanted to make sure it stayed that way when it was transformed into another medium. My biggest nightmare was to see Dragonlance turned into a "kid's" movie.

read the rest here

https://www.dragonlance-movie.com/news/show_news.asp?id=12

Last edited:
Last edited:
I loved loved these books
and I read and re read these as often as I can

I had heard a rumour that it was to be an animated film but didnt think anything of it .. I am very pleased that this may now go through and be happening ......... sideshow 12 inch Tanis .. Flint...a Bozak .ooooooooh :monkey5

Thanks for the info Joker.

Havent read the books, but looking forward to it!

Why is it that its so damn difficult to make a good fantasy movie??!

I recently tried to watch that D & D movie, made it through 30 minutes.

I wanted to like it, but couldnt. I thought with the "D&D" name - it has to be good!

If you have some recommendations, I'm all ears!

Took

fool_of_a_took! said:

I wanted to like it, but couldnt. I thought with the "D&D" name - it has to be good!

Took

Hollywood screws up everything.

Not sure what you mean by recommendations.

If you mean recommendations too not make a D&D movie suck,

1) Evil is not portrayed by actors speaking in EEEEVIIIIL voices.
2) If you want your male super-antagonist to be really scary, keep him away from neon purple lipstick.
3) Racial stereotyping is not clever; particularly when the Black Guy speaks in street slang while everyone else speaks in descript Medieval English.
4) Avoid Jeremy Irons.
5) Do not hire your son's Playstation club as the CGI effects team.
6) Choose a setting for the movie, not just whatever is handy to toss behind the actors. Follow these simple steps and you too may not embarrass yourself with a Dungeons & Dragons fiasco.

THIS ONE IS NOT EVEN WORTH RENTING!

This movie is a total joke and insult to D&D gamers everywhere. I have read many reviews that say gamers are expecting too much from the movie, but this was pure garbage.

i watched "Earnest goes to the Army" the night before and its acting, plot, and messy effects were better than most of the stuff in DnD.

With Eragon...

...it also sucked.

I'm not opposed to a by-the-numbers fantays tale. There's something to be said for tradition. But come on, it's taken us decades to get big-budget fantasy back into the cinemas. Things were going good for a few years. I just can't see why something so video game-like and totally formula as this story, with absolutely nothing unique to offer, gets the green light for a big-budget Christmas tentpole movie.

**** you, Hollywood, there's hundreds of far better books that have been waiting years, even decades for good cinematic treatment, and instead we get this told-a-thousand-times-already crap? $100 or $200 million (if you count marketing) would have been far better invested in Conan The Cimmerian, or a REAL Dungeons & Dragons film (with Gygax writing the story). On my Control Panel Of Movie Monitoring, right next to the Bull****-meter and the Cheese-factor-meter, there is the Predictability-meter, and it just broke.

Eragon owes me money for fixing it. If you're going to go formula, at least try to make it FEEL new and interesting (as in, Star Wars IV). But no, we get the young-farmboy-jerk, the obligatory-wiseman, the evil-despot, the "you're our only hope" subplot (as in substandard plot), and everything else right off the shelf. If people today are impressed with stories like this, they ought to go back and try reading a few REAL novels, before commercialization and marketing-brainwashing made them as common as chick-flicks and sports-comeback-underdog movies.

Eragon is nothing but a testament to how waterered down and UNimaginative the FANTASY genre (which last time I checked was supposed to rely on imagination) has become. Or try this: Go read Robert E. Howard for a few pages, then TRY to read Jordan (the standard-setter for today's mediocraty) or any other popular author for this generaton. They just don't compare. And Howard's Conan, a total stereotype, is far more interesting, developed, and
engaging than a dozen characters in your average fantasy novel today.

Howard, merely 26 years old, takes a brute and makes him a legend through sheer evocative narration. Jordan, with 15 novels and just as many characters, can't keep me from snoring. What's wrong with this picture?

Maybe, just maybe, it's a lack of real skills, imagination and spirit

With Dragonlance,
The only thing that bothers me about this movie so far is its too short.

90 mins for a fanatsy movie is short.

Sounds like a fanatsy movie for people with Attention Deficit Disorder.

It reminded me of when G.I. Joe would run 5 connected episodes for one week when I was a kid.
If this is going to be anything like that, I would rather see a series on cable network(like the clone wars).

Something like 12, 30 minute episodes for Dragons of Autumn Twilight/series one.

That way the story line would allow for growth instead of cramming everything into 90 min.

this film as an animated feature with a time constraint at 90 minutes isn't a gift to dragonlance fans,
The screenwriter has already confirmed that it's going to be 90 minutes. You'd better be prepared for a lot of scenes to by clipped, cut, or reordered. It's not going to be some kind of scene by scene translation of the novel.
It's just sad.....

But I have also heard that the Script is well written and tight.

Dragonlance as a movie, especially with the authors having so much say in the material. This is promising without a doubt, and I just hope they can give it the dark eerie feeling of impending doom that it deserves.

I am not disappointed with the choice of animation. I some hate anime, and am not a big fan of any cartoons not done in 3D

If there is a live action film,
I really wanted Peter Jackson to do this project because he is the only man alive I believe who could do it justice.

But alot rest on this animated movie, if it does well it may open the gates on further decent fantasy projects (Forgotten Realms...)

Last edited:
This is one of the movies I've really wanted to see made. The other big fantasy movie I'd like to eventually see is Magician by Raymond E Feist. He's stated that it would be too expensive to make as a movie - but I think that technology has advanced to where it would be feasible, or you could take the alternate animated route taken here. Hopefully the comic version prompts someone in the industry to start thinking down that path.

fool_of_a_took! said:

Took

If you are new to the Dragonlance series, the sheer number of novels that have been published is overwhelming.

Reading Order
With the discussion of the list organization and time periods out of the way, here are my recommendations on reading order. The short version is to read the core novels from each time period and then branch out into the various supplemental novels. I would read the Classic core novels first, followed by the Fifth Age core novels, and then the Age of Mortals core novels, and finally the Historical core books.

For the record, I don't recommend that you read the novels in chronological order—or, at the very least, that you do not try to read the novels in chronological order until you have completed the Chronicles, and possibly the Legends series as well. In addition to making the assumption that you know about some of the concepts introduced in Chronicles, some of the novels that are "first" in the chronological order will inevitably spoil the events that happen in Chronicles and in other novels that occur further into the future of the timeline. While the same is true about Chronicles (it hints at events in history that are explained in other books), these "previous" books are written with that in mind, so it would be my strong recommendation you read Chronicles first.

The best way to get started is to begin with the Chronicles series, comprised of three books: Dragons of Autumn Twilight, Dragons of Winter Night, and Dragons of Spring Dawning. This is the first set of books written about the Dragonlance world, and will give you the foundation for everything else. Chronicles introduces you to the major gods, important characters, and important events and organizations that other books assume you already know about.

Once you've finished the first three books, read the Legends trilogy. In addition to being the second series published, this series explores the relationship between Raistlin and Caramon, and also introduces the reader to more detail about the Cataclysm and the events immediately before and after it. Like the Chronicles, other books assume that you know what happened in the Legends series, so I would recommend that you read Time of the Twins, War of the Twins, and Test of the Twins next.

With what long time fans consider to be the 'holy six' out of the way, you can begin reading other novels.

Next, you should read the Lost Chronicles series. Despite the fact that Lost Chronicles series fills in the gaps between novels in the Chronicles series, Weis & Hickman have gone on record as saying that they should be read after the reader has completed both Chronicles and Legends. Dragons of the Dwarven Depths and Dragons of the Highlord Skies are the first two novels in this series.

As noted at the beginning of this article, I recommend you read the Classic core novels first, so I would finish that group by reading The Second Generation and Dragons of Summer Flame, and then reading the core Fifth Age books: the Dragons of a New Age trilogy and The Dhamon Saga trilogy.

Next, I would recommend the Age of Mortals core books: the seminal War of Souls trilogy and the Dark Disciple trilogy, which is still being written. Once you've gotten this far, I would recommend one of two things. The first would be to read the Age of Mortals supplemental novels to get completely current with the setting, or to go back and read the Historical core novels: the Heroes series and the Kingpriest Trilogy.

Once you've read all of these core series, there really isn't a reading order—it is whatever you find yourself most interested in. My personal favorites include the following trilogies (in addition to all the core books, which I would highly recommend), in no particular order: the Raistlin Chronicles, Tales, Elven Nations, Dwarven Nations, Kang's Regiment, and the Defenders of Magic.

In addition, I'm a big fan of work by the following authors: Margaret Weis, Tracy Hickman, Chris Pierson, Richard A. Knaak, and Douglas Niles.

I hope that helps with any questions about what order someone new to the series should read the novels. If you have any feedback, please feel free to contact me and let me know.

https://www.dl3e.com/products/reading.aspx

(these should be read in the order they appear in the comprehensive list):

https://www.dl3e.com/products/list.aspx

Start with,
https://www.amazon.com/Dragonlance-Chronicles-Trilogy-Gift-Set/dp/0786926813

then this trilogy...
https://www.amazon.com/Legends-Gift...7666/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b/104-0616367-7927960

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonlance

Wow!

First, thanks for taking the time to for that comprehensive retort!!

I guess youre right about HW screwing things up. I mean, you have a popular, well known name (D&D), and a huge loyal fanbase, so getting $ to make the movie shouldnt be a problem. Yet everything that comes out in the fictional/fantasy genre blows.

I tried Eragon too. Was looking forward to it. But again, sooooo dissapointed. Lasted about 30-40 minutes.

Currently reading the Silmarilion, and not having too much time to do that......

Do you know of any good fantasy type movies that I might try?

Again, thanks for the comments!~

Took

fool_of_a_took! said:
Do you know of any good fantasy type movies that I might try?

The only ones that come to mind are a bit old:

Ladyhawke
Conan (both The Barbarian & The Destroyer)
Beastmaster
Excalibur

Thundercats........:monkey4

Why must Hollywood continue to rape and molest my childhood.

A live action Thundercats!?!?!?!?!?!?

WTF!

Well if they dont ef this up it should be very good
Ive read the Dragon lance series and Twins series many times and always enjoyed the books

LordAzrael said:
The only ones that come to mind are a bit old:

Ladyhawke
Conan (both The Barbarian & The Destroyer)
Beastmaster
Excalibur

All classics... Conan the Barbarian and Excalibure (IMO) are excellent movies. The rest are good/fun as long as you don't take them too seriously.

Back