Gandalf the Grey Premium Format statue review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Crawford

Super Freak
Reaction score
We may never see the full Fellowship in sixth scale, but we're getting closer in the Premium Format style with the release of Gandalf the Grey. He has an issue here or there, but I think he's my favorite PF so far this year.

You can check out the review at the usual:

https://www.mwctoys.com

Thanks for reading!

Michael
MWC

Nice review Michael.

I would say that I disagree with your "you'd never use the exclusive head". You make a point (twice actually) to point out that Gandalf is in the scene with the Balrog. In those scenes, Gandalf doesn't wear the hat. So, if you believe that's where the scene comes from, the no hat is the only way to go. In fact, he doesn't wear it in the Moria mines at all, that I can remember.

Yea, but that's not iconic Gandalf. I suspect most folks are going to display him with the hat, but if you're going for the specific look then yes, go hatless.

Mine will be hatless most of the time as well. The hat makes Gandalf normally, but this particular sculpt is a Moria Mines environment and pose, and the hatless head is the way to go.

I was surprised by how much I like the look with the hatless portrait. Add to that the fact that the lighting in my cabinet is over his head, putting his face in shadow when wearing the hat, and I will swap them out more than I ever would have thought.

But even though I would personally go for the full four stars, I really agree with the bulk of the review and I agree that it's the PF of the year so far.

Nice review Michael.

I would say that I disagree with your "you'd never use the exclusive head". You make a point (twice actually) to point out that Gandalf is in the scene with the Balrog. In those scenes, Gandalf doesn't wear the hat. So, if you believe that's where the scene comes from, the no hat is the only way to go. In fact, he doesn't wear it in the Moria mines at all, that I can remember.

I thought it was from this scene.

I was surprised by how much I like the look with the hatless portrait. Add to that the fact that the lighting in my cabinet is over his head, putting his face in shadow when wearing the hat, and I will swap them out more than I ever would have thought.

But even though I would personally go for the full four stars, I really agree with the bulk of the review and I agree that it's the PF of the year so far.

:goodpost:

My sentiments exactly.

That was definitely a surprise, I thought it was pointless exclusive but in hand the hatless portrait catches Gandalf really well and I'm glad they did it.

Awesome PF, and a definite contender for PF of the year.

Mine will be hatless most of the time as well. The hat makes Gandalf normally, but this particular sculpt is a Moria Mines environment and pose, and the hatless head is the way to go.

If he had a change of hand with sword it would have been perfect for the Balrog scene.

Good, detailed review as usual (- a couple of stars for the Balrog slip :wink1:)

I was dissapointed with the comment about there possibly not being a Fellowship in this line and only a hint that there should be!
I for one definately want to see this level of intricate artwork applied to Boromir, Sam, Pippin, Merry and Gimli and look forward to more excellent pics and reviews from your good self. :peace

I thought it was from this scene.

Glad someone else pointed this out. There's no way this is GTG from the balrog scene or he'd have his sword drawn as well. the Hatless sculpt would be incorrect as well, as it doesn't shop his grim determination in preparing for battle. C'mon mike edit that review already...

Oh for God's sake...yes, it's from the earlier scene. Clearly I'm either getting too much Halftimers disease, or I need to rewatch the movies again. Probably a good think I have a marathon planned. I made a couple minor edits, since it has nothing to do with the overall review of the PF itself.

Thank you for the great review.

I can't wait untill Friday to see him for myself.

Great review as usual! Mine just arrived at work, but I'll have to wait until I get home for the unboxing! Can't wait!

Back