1/4 Jakks C3-P0 & Hasbro smart R2-D2 repaint

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brundledonk

Super Freak
Reaction score
Looks really good, truly!!!!.

To quote the old saying. “You polished a turd”. And made a very nice display piece in the process!!

Looks AMAZING! I wish I had the time/skill to pull that off. I saw that Threepio at an Ollie's Discount Barn a few weeks ago and thought the sculpt would support a nice paint job like this. If you don't mind, what was your process?

The scale between the two is a little off, but you did a great job painting them! Never thought that 3PO could be made to look that nice!

Very nice, why you would be nervous us beyond me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks AMAZING! I wish I had the time/skill to pull that off. I saw that Threepio at an Ollie's Discount Barn a few weeks ago and thought the sculpt would support a nice paint job like this. If you don't mind, what was your process?

Thanks buddy

I was careful to get a nice smooth base coat and the primer I use is just a cheap one but dries to a semi gloss finish which makes it nice to paint on but because I was going metalic with the finish I polished it out a bit with compound before I sprayed the top coat. I lucked out with the gold as it was just a cheap rattle can but went down really well and although not a mirror finish it was still pretty reflective ( before I weathered it ) and the tone wasn't too far off.
For the weathering I used oil paints and just thinned them down a lot and used it as a wash to define the details and add a bit of wear

Pete

The scale between the two is a little off, but you did a great job painting them! Never thought that 3PO could be made to look that nice!

Yes Artoo is about an inch too short for 1/4 scale and the top of his dome should be somewhere around Threepio's waist I think ( going from screen grabs )

Pete

Very nice, why you would be nervous us beyond me.

It was just because they aren't the most accurate figures out there, the Pistons on Threepios elbows are pretty bad as they are moulded solid and I did consider dremeling them out but he's made out of ABS plastic and it doesn't sand nicely so any scratches would be a nightmare to polish out and under a metal finish I think would have looked nasty so I left them as is and to be completely honest I really didn't expect them to turn out as nice as they did. Repainting Threepio's eyes made a huge difference as the out of the box paint app makes him look really startled lol but the size alone makes them look quite impressive on display

Back