Welcome to SideshowCollectors.com! Register today to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and easy!
Advanced Search
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Amanda Todd

Default Re: Amanda Todd

Quote Originally Posted by The Ween View Post
    You can't post nudity on Facebook. Don't know if it was reported though.
    I don't know much about FB. Sounds like a prudent policy to have.
    “He who does not punish evil commands it to be done.”

Leonardo da Vinci

Super Freak
    Feedback
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackthornone View Post
    You mention mental competence. That is the issue here. The ability of each individual to be mentally competent enough to handle each situation they deal with appropriately.
    Each person has strengths and weaknesses. Each person has priorities based on same.
    Indeed, the bullies were making immature decisions, but that makes them no less guilty IMO.

I certainly think that her being put into the position of contemplating suicide due to bullying is pitiable. The girl was really overwhelmed, without adequate support to help her. That is pitiable. From where does this strength to not commit suicide come from in the absence of an adequate support structure and in the midst of such severe harassment and bullying?

Clearly, this was a girl desperate for meaningful connection with others, perhaps due in part to her weak family emotional support, as suggested by the parents living apart.
    That is why she went on the computer to chat.
    That is why she was willing to show her boobs.
    That is why she was pressured into giving as how to her blackmailer. That is why she was willing to have sex with the guy who only wanted sex, who later betrayed her.
    That is why she didn't press charges after she got beat up.
    That is why she wanted to avoid all conflict, by constantly moving. That should have been a red flag, by the way. All that need to move indicates someone who wants to run away from her problems.
    Suicide is the last step in taking that approach.
    She did drugs and alcohol and the cutting for the same reason. I believe the drugs are what really made her far weaker.

I believe she tried, but help was inadequate.
    I agree. But in the end she made the decision to kill herself. It was still her choice. The mental competence I reference is the ability to know that the decision she is about to make would end her life and she would cease to exist. If she was an active participant in her own death. For all we know she could have accidently overdosed on drugs that she was using and it's falsely being attributed to suicide because she failed once before.

I don't know. Maybe it's because of my field of work, maybe it's because I support assisted suicide, maybe it's because I've had friends kill themselves, maybe it's because I've seen struggle and gone through struggle, maybe it's all, or none of the above, but bottom line is I'll never pity anyone who is mentally capable of making the decision to kill themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by mfoga View Post
    Not to sound insensitive, but I dont get it. Kids were bullied when we were kids, I would have never though about making a video, or killing myself.

Sorry to say but we have raised a generation of babies with tissue paper think skin and no back bone.
    You know, I think that not enough playing outside makes children weaker. Children used to play outside a lot, and now, it's indoors on the computer and video games. I think it breeds psychologically weaker children as well as them weaker physically.
    “He who does not punish evil commands it to be done.”

Leonardo da Vinci

Lil' Ass Kicker
    Feedback
    I know a woman on Facebook that is very involved in childhood cancer and some of the cancer kids have Facebook pages. You wouldn't believe how some idiots make bully pages against these kids. She showed me some and they're awful!

I wouldn't care if Facebook disappeared completely even if I do use it from time to time.

Super Freak
    Feedback
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackthornone View Post
    You know, I think that not enough playing outside makes children weaker. Children used to play outside a lot, and now, it's indoors on the computer and video games. I think it breeds psychologically weaker children as well as them weaker physically.
    As well as trying to take gym out of schools, and giving rewards and trophies for just participating in sports, hell "Upward" sports in general where you don't even keep score or play to win. Everyone's kid is special and everyone should get playing time etc. etc. etc. Bull ****ing ****.

Super Freak
    Feedback
    25 (100%)
    I know a woman on Facebook that is very involved in childhood cancer and some of the cancer kids have Facebook pages. You wouldn't believe how some idiots make bully pages against these kids. She showed me some and they're awful!

I wouldn't care if Facebook disappeared completely even if I do use it from time to time.
    You can get rid of your Facebook account. Why didn't this girl try that? Even if the image and bullying existed she'd not see it or even know about it any longer. She could easily have removed herself from the whole cyber bullying aspect. The in person bullying if it existed outside of the one beatdown (which, can you even call cheating with a guy and his girlfriend beating your ass for it bullying?) would be the harder part to avoid.

Ringer @ Heart MODERATOR
    Feedback
    34 (100%)
    Follow The Josh On Twitter Follow The Josh on Flickr Visit The Josh's Youtube Channel
    When we were kids, there wasn't all this "social" media and believe me, kids weren't near as cruel as they are now.

We have 5 year olds calling other kids ********g c***s at our school.
    The thing I hear the kids I teach say to each other on a daily basis would make most people blush.

Working with kids everyday and seeing what they do to each other compared to how it was not that many years ago when I was a kids is striking. Kids today are ruthless in their own way and even more so depending on where they grow up at. Then you factor in social media and the internet which only makes things 1k times worse. I can't help but think anyone who doesn't feel pity for a child that kills themselves is a pretty sad individual.
    Last edited by The Josh; 10-14-2012 at 02:59 PM.

Super Freak
    Feedback
    25 (100%)
    I don't think bullying is any worse, I think kids are more sensitive and parents are more coddling. The internet provides a larger audience and makes occurences more easily accessible. The voice projecting in the megaphone is louder but it's still the same voice.

God Hates Cowards MODERATOR
    Feedback
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wofford29 View Post
    I don't think bullying is any worse, I think kids are more sensitive and parents are more coddling. The internet provides a larger audience and makes occurences more easily accessible. The voice projecting in the megaphone is louder but it's still the same voice.
    I don't think it is either, the only thing that's changed is the year

Super Freak
    Feedback
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wofford29 View Post
    The only thing the Internet allows is the faceless bully. But why would you get that upset about something someone said about you online. I know we all have got into it with people here but never was omg I am goinging to kill myself because of what someone called me on the board.